Sponsored by:

If You Have Full Leather Option ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Sort of depends what you mean by "completely stripped"...

Honestly it is my one observation about the buying crowd of this 991 gt3 vs. previous gt3s. I perceive a lot more spec'ing with leather, stitching, other items that make the car more GT/turbo like. Not a bad thing, just different. And I am not the track tough guy here, I definitely am not. But this isn't a daily driver and to me, the GT3 is supposed to be a weekend hot rod. The fact that some would spend their carbon ceramic brake money, or bucket seat money, on wall to wall leather inside, is something that is hard for me to understand. To me. Please don't flame me for saying this. Definitely different strokes for different folks. But to say that the car is "completely stripped" inside without full leather is a bit of an exaggeration. Sort of like me saying - "its a GT3 and you are going to order the same brakes that come on a base Carrera?"
I'm not against full leather no matter how you're going to use the car. The added weight is minimal and it improves the look of the interior IMHO.

That said, I think I understand what mrsullivan is getting at in his post. For example, heavy tracking and the issue of rapid wear aside, I personally think PCCB's are the best and only real performance option available on the car for road and light track use. Well, now the seats too, but they weren't available when I ordered. If I had to choose between spending thousands on bigger and lighter brakes or thousands on slathering the interior with leather, carbon, and painted bits I'd choose brakes. The argument that the stock brakes are "good enough" is no more relevant than the argument that the stock interior is "good enough". FWIW, I always check the performance boxes before the "dress up" boxes. That's where the point of "it's a GT3" comes in for me.

Now if you can find room for things like brakes, seats, AND fancy bits in your budget all the better. And if your budget can't accommodate either that's cool too. In any event, I don't think some leather here and there makes the car any less of a GT3.

All my very humble $.02.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 09-14-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:27 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well at first I was not going to do much more than the basic full leather but I saw a black car with the seat backs in full leather and I will say it looks great! I'll have to diet a bit more and loose a couple of pounds now!
Old 09-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skuplist can you expand why the leather on the back of the seats looked good? Was there added stitching etc. reason I ask I just ordered a 2015 black metallic and have considered this option. My order has not locked yet.

Further insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:09 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Yes there is further stitching on the back. Really stands out if you ordered the red stitching. Folks say you don't see the back of the seats but every angle walking up to the car and opening the doors I saw the leather on the back of the seats with the red stitching. It stood out for me. Plus I'm doing a black car with the carbon fiber which is black. Eliminating the plastic. Black car with blacked out plastic. I saw one like that at the dealer and I just liked it. Pure emotional decision.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:15 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Do the 3d configurator and do a tour of the interior. Look at it with and without the leather on the back of the seat. Also call your dealer and any other close to you and see if they have any 911 with the leather on the back of the seats. I saw some turbos that the dealer ordered with leather on the back of the seats.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:25 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, it's always about the emotion and experience of driving the car, be it as a DD or track or weekend. I just don't care if it's all plastic inside or if there is a radio much less Burmester. Otherwise I would have gotten an Aston Martin. To each his own, though we're all entitled to opinions too and I agree w/ MSullivan
Old 09-14-2014, 03:29 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Emotional driving with a bit of Aston Martin looks on the interior! You are correct. The car is the key. This is just fluff for each of us to decide.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:07 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I couldn't agree with this more. Some are acting as if we are buying 991 cup cars here. I have yet to grasp the view that because it is a GT3 you must get a stripped down version for weight savings? It's not as if there are even that many options other than interior coverings, the option list is short compared to almost all other Porsche offerings? This is a road going track car and on the way to the track if one wants the interior to be nicer than standard then go for it, I certainly did and I'm not second guessing it at all. I guess I am going to be passed a bunch on the track because of how much my leather weighs?
its not an issue of weight... its an issue of the "vibe" of the model... GT3s, GT2s, and the Carrera GT are cars that are made for the track, Porsches stat is 80% will track the car... no backseats, stiffer suspension, different engines, everything about these cars is meant to maximize performance, even at the expense of luxury... consider that for the last 10 years, you couldn't have anything but a stick manual on your GT car, even if you wanted. All I am saying is that to ME, loading the interior up with leather options while not ticking the performance options seems a little backwards on this car. But my point was that this is part of the fact that its the first GT3 intended to be more of a street car blend. I meant no offense with any of my comments, and other than some DE events, I am not a track guy, so for me its sort of poseur to even take a position. However, I have had lots of Porsches and performance cars and I have always felt its impossible to have a really fun raw weekend hot rod and a daily driver in one package. That something is always compromised when you do that. So for me, the GT3 still represents a special occasion weekend car, and in that guise, I want high index on performance and low index on leather and stitching.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Wroom
5th Gear

I hate the look of Alcantara. After the first time you sat in the seat it looks like somebody pissed on it.

Also the Alcantara steering wheels usually look quite dirty in a short period of time. Just think about all the door handles you touched mixing with the grease and sweat on your hands. And now you're working that into the steering wheel.

"James, please get me my drivers gloves. Thank you very much."

So I would wish to have REALLY full lether... OR Nomex seats (you know... because they don't burn as fast as Alcantara does).
Old 09-14-2014, 04:25 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
its not an issue of weight... its an issue of the "vibe" of the model... GT3s, GT2s, and the Carrera GT are cars that are made for the track, Porsches stat is 80% will track the car... no backseats, stiffer suspension, different engines, everything about these cars is meant to maximize performance, even at the expense of luxury... consider that for the last 10 years, you couldn't have anything but a stick manual on your GT car, even if you wanted. All I am saying is that to ME, loading the interior up with leather options while not ticking the performance options seems a little backwards on this car. But my point was that this is part of the fact that its the first GT3 intended to be more of a street car blend. I meant no offense with any of my comments, and other than some DE events, I am not a track guy, so for me its sort of poseur to even take a position. However, I have had lots of Porsches and performance cars and I have always felt its impossible to have a really fun raw weekend hot rod and a daily driver in one package. That something is always compromised when you do that. So for me, the GT3 still represents a special occasion weekend car, and in that guise, I want high index on performance and low index on leather and stitching.
Understood. Question; did you get Nav? Any other options? Kind of makes my point relative to my first reply. Nav belongs on a GT3? Faux carbon? All great choices, just saying.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:32 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr Sullivan. Spot on. I love Alcantara!!! Easy to clean. Racecar
Old 09-14-2014, 04:58 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Anyone know if the red stitching in gt3 is same color as in regular 911? I went to dealer and became sold on the platinum stitching as the red I saw on a 911 was almost maroon.

Also would love to see pics of that tail-less gt3.. What did you use instead?
Old 09-14-2014, 05:09 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Anyone know if the red stitching in gt3 is same color as in regular 911? I went to dealer and became sold on the platinum stitching as the red I saw on a 911 was almost maroon.

Also would love to see pics of that tail-less gt3.. What did you use instead?
I have seen it up close and I would not call it maroon, but I also wouldn't consider it super bright red either.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:11 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
I also love the look of alcantara. IMHO the full leather option adds some very nice touches to the interior with the aluminum trim on the door cards and the alcantara areas on the door cards and lower dash.

On my build I chose to get the center console trim in leather as I think the rectangular piece around the center console looks distracting in brushed aluminum. I prefer just the dash and door trim in brushed aluminum which nicely leads your eye across the cabin.

Ryan
Old 09-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Wroom
5th Gear

Question

Originally Posted by promocop
What REAL racecar has alcantara on the doors or seat???

Quick Reply: If You Have Full Leather Option ....