Old 09-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mundman
IMHO Leather=Weight!

November 28, 2014 delivery!!!
In dead weight, you're looking about about one or two gallons of fuel, give or take, to put some lippy on a USD$150K car with all plastic dash up to halfway decent appearance. It's not an Aston or Pagani, but you take it up from New York Taxi to at least the car that shows up when you click on the Uber app. : )

I also put the steering column leather on -- not a bargain, but it's right there in your line of sight and it's cheaper than getting aftermarket (which will never match) and the delta is maybe one visit to the gas station.

My real dislike for the cabin begins and ends with the steering wheel. The painted plastic chrome shiny stuff would be embarrassing on an 80's Honda. That really needs something. Anything.

One thing I'd do differently is the bizarre plain matte aluminum finish on the dash trim (the wide strip that covers the cup holders and goes around the doors.) On the 991 S, it's quite unremarkable. On the 997 RS, it's that slightly tacky faux carbon fibre trim stuff (still a plastic piece, just with the cosmetic layer of weave in resin.) I'd consider the dollars for going with either factory of aftermarket trim to tone down the cabin in those areas. After a few weeks, it just doesn't enter my mind.

Thinking about appearance versus "image" and functionality of the car, my other dislike is the rear wing. Non functional, dangerous, and far too "look at me!" for my taste. I pulled it off the other day. Much nicer without it.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:12 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The full leather with red stitching is gorgeous. I also got the full carbon, and I wouldn't change a thing! In the bright sunlight, the red stitching really pops!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:42 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
yours is completely stripped except for buckets then???
Sort of depends what you mean by "completely stripped"...

Honestly it is my one observation about the buying crowd of this 991 gt3 vs. previous gt3s. I perceive a lot more spec'ing with leather, stitching, other items that make the car more GT/turbo like. Not a bad thing, just different. And I am not the track tough guy here, I definitely am not. But this isn't a daily driver and to me, the GT3 is supposed to be a weekend hot rod. The fact that some would spend their carbon ceramic brake money, or bucket seat money, on wall to wall leather inside, is something that is hard for me to understand. To me. Please don't flame me for saying this. Definitely different strokes for different folks. But to say that the car is "completely stripped" inside without full leather is a bit of an exaggeration. Sort of like me saying - "its a GT3 and you are going to order the same brakes that come on a base Carrera?"
Old 09-14-2014, 12:14 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

deleted
Old 09-14-2014, 09:23 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
...But to say that the car is "completely stripped" inside without full leather is a bit of an exaggeration...
Dntlvet wrote "No leather for me, its a GT3". 911dev replied "yours is completely stripped except for buckets then???"

When I first read Dntlvet's comment, my reaction was similar to 911dev's. It's not possible to order a 991 GT3 w/o any leather, because each of the seat options has some leather. That said, I do realize that Dntlvet probably wasn't saying that his GT3 has no leather at all (unless he replaces the seats with aftermarket).

As for me, I'm not a fan of plastic leather-look dash and door trim.

I'm okay with Alcantara, but it bugs me when people refer to it as "suede". No, it's synthetic suede.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:42 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CarreraGT. Please post some pics of your 'wingless GT3" Love to see it
Old 09-14-2014, 10:09 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Thinking about appearance versus "image" and functionality of the car, my other dislike is the rear wing. Non functional, dangerous, and far too "look at me!" for my taste. I pulled it off the other day. Much nicer without it.
You know... the same has been said about excessive body hair! "non functional, dangerous, and look at me!" so, people pull it off. Hahahaha. As a non track car maybe it doesn't function much as a street cruiser.
But I would think on the track it has its benefits. I'm certainly not saying I'm the best one to answer that, but having driven it a couple of times on the track, I sure didn't mind it was there! It certainly didn't make the car more dangerous, IMHO.
Certainly with the 4.0 and cup cars, where it is mounted higher, it probably functions more aggressively.
Having said that, I am curious to see how it looks if you have pics. That's why I like RL, everyone has a different spin on things. Many opinions, many different cars, mucho fun!
I never thought I could get into Mexico Blue, but thanks to Eduardo and his wonderful posts, I'm a believer now! I'm still warming up to 'Der Grüner' tho.

Last edited by rubbaman; 09-14-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:10 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Sort of depends what you mean by "completely stripped"...

Honestly it is my one observation about the buying crowd of this 991 gt3 vs. previous gt3s. I perceive a lot more spec'ing with leather, stitching, other items that make the car more GT/turbo like. Not a bad thing, just different. And I am not the track tough guy here, I definitely am not. But this isn't a daily driver and to me, the GT3 is supposed to be a weekend hot rod. The fact that some would spend their carbon ceramic brake money, or bucket seat money, on wall to wall leather inside, is something that is hard for me to understand. To me. Please don't flame me for saying this. Definitely different strokes for different folks. But to say that the car is "completely stripped" inside without full leather is a bit of an exaggeration. Sort of like me saying - "its a GT3 and you are going to order the same brakes that come on a base Carrera?"
i didn't state nor mean it was stripped by the lack of full leather.

i hope the below explains what i meant:

my point being if one states they don't want a particular option, because it's a gt3, then said assertion would dictate that someone does not opt for any options because it is a gt3.

if not getting leather because it's a gt3, then i assume that person wouldn't take free Nav, or anything else for that matter, because it is a gt3.

i don't subscribe to this because i don't believe options or the lack thereof makes a gt3 anything less than a gt3.

i.e. I would not reply to someone else's post about getting Nav by stating I didn't get Nav, because it's a gt3; that would be nonsense.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:15 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Dntlvet wrote "No leather for me, its a GT3". 911dev replied "yours is completely stripped except for buckets then???"

When I first read Dntlvet's comment, my reaction was similar to 911dev's. It's not possible to order a 991 GT3 w/o any leather, because each of the seat options has some leather. That said, I do realize that Dntlvet probably wasn't saying that his GT3 has no leather at all (unless he replaces the seats with aftermarket).

As for me, I'm not a fan of plastic leather-look dash and door trim.

I'm okay with Alcantara, but it bugs me when people refer to it as "suede". No, it's synthetic suede.

i guess i took the response by Dntlvet to mean that why would someone order full leather on a gt3. I don't agree with that statement and made it clear. no offense meant to the aforementioned, just an equally weighted reply.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:47 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911dev
i didn't state nor mean it was stripped by the lack of full leather.

i hope the below explains what i meant:

my point being if one states they don't want a particular option, because it's a gt3, then said assertion would dictate that someone does not opt for any options because it is a gt3.

if not getting leather because it's a gt3, then i assume that person wouldn't take free Nav, or anything else for that matter, because it is a gt3.

i don't subscribe to this because i don't believe options or the lack thereof makes a gt3 anything less than a gt3.

i.e. I would not reply to someone else's post about getting Nav by stating I didn't get Nav, because it's a gt3; that would be nonsense.
I couldn't agree with this more. Some are acting as if we are buying 991 cup cars here. I have yet to grasp the view that because it is a GT3 you must get a stripped down version for weight savings? It's not as if there are even that many options other than interior coverings, the option list is short compared to almost all other Porsche offerings? This is a road going track car and on the way to the track if one wants the interior to be nicer than standard then go for it, I certainly did and I'm not second guessing it at all. I guess I am going to be passed a bunch on the track because of how much my leather weighs?
Old 09-14-2014, 01:14 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you have to understand some folks only track this car and the less spent on extras the better. Keeping cost down makes more sense. For me its a weekend car and as a result I'm going to order whatever looks good for me. I don't think it has anything to do with saving weight as it does with how the car is used. Since I will mostly have it for weekend use I like the full leather option. If I was strictly using it for track I think I would keep cost down and opt out of ordering full leather.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:15 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, 2 more practical questions on the leather, for those with leather on this or other Porsches:

1) Is it much harder to maintain than the non-leather? and

2) Does the stitching tend to look dirty after a while?
Old 09-14-2014, 01:16 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by skuplist
I think you have to understand some folks only track this car and the less spent on extras the better. Keeping cost down makes more sense. For me its a weekend car and as a result I'm going to order whatever looks good for me. I don't think it has anything to do with saving weight as it does with how the car is used. Since I will mostly have it for weekend use I like the full leather option. If I was strictly using it for track I think I would keep cost down and opt out of ordering full leather.
that is understood; of course.

again, making or breaking options makes the car anything less than what it is.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:31 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Ok, 2 more practical questions on the leather, for those with leather on this or other Porsches:

1) Is it much harder to maintain than the non-leather? and

2) Does the stitching tend to look dirty after a while?
from my experience, no and no.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:32 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skuplist
Thats fine and of course understood, if I was towing my GT3 out for strictly track use I would certainly order differently but I believe all this has been in response to those that are critical because some of us prefer more leather inside and why would we do such a thing to a GT3?? We will be sent to GT3 purgatory because of leather additions?

Quick Reply: If You Have Full Leather Option ....