Sponsored by:

Interesting Statistics - US 991 GT3 Options Ordered Percentages

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 12:19 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Nope. The data is U.S. and from 67 cars, per the post (maybe you read too fast or I was confusing). My point was that maybe it DIDNT include the 15 cars from Champion that seem to be a newer allocation. I had my dealer pull the nationwide data about 3 days ago...obviously the data changes every day. But this is where it stood as of a few days ago.

n=67, 2015 gt3 orders, from U.S. dealers as of Monday 9/8/14
sorry, you're right, I read it too fast and not enough coffee and too early for a martini.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:24 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
sorry, you're right, I read it too fast and not enough coffee and too early for a martini.
here in Austin, with 50k+ UT students and 100 degree weather, it is very socially acceptable to start the margaritas at about 10am ct
Old 09-11-2014, 03:33 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
The GT3 with the absolute best resale percentage will probably be the one without a single option. Thinking you're going to get greater than a ROI for an option is silly. The only one I'd even give a chance of returning 100% of the purchase price is the Buckets. For everything else - buy what you want.
The buckets are about an extra $5,000 over the base 4-way seats, so I would say there is no chance you will get back the $5,000 on that option at resale either. Anyone truly believe a GT3 with buckets will bring an extra $5,000 at resale in 3 years? And most of you guys trade these cars into the dealer who will pay you ZERO extra for those buckets, all the while claiming they can't move cars with the buckets.

No option combination will hold its value well, as options are overpriced to begin with; that's where Porsche makes most of the margin. Finally, the greater concern if depreciation is your focus is the loss off the $131,000, not the $15,000 in options.

Honestly, if you are turning these cars in 2 years, clearly depreciation is irrelevant to you.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:38 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

here in Austin, with 50k+ UT students and 100 degree weather, it is very socially acceptable to start the margaritas at about 10am ct
Jonathan, are you buying this GT3 from Beasley? What number were you on the list there?
Old 09-11-2014, 03:49 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Jonathan, are you buying this GT3 from Beasley? What number were you on the list there?
no... I have found our local dealer to not deal much with GT cars, or the servicing experience needed with them...

And yes, I consider the stupid tax to be paid on these purchases up front, the depreciation happens at the drive off...
Old 09-11-2014, 03:58 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the % on Sport Chrono? I'm still on the fence with this one with my order.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:18 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm going to make some very basic assumptions here Everyone on this forum (except the teenagers who are pretending to be buyers, and those like Frayed who is a famous alcoholic actor) make north of $250-$300k minimum, all the way up to the 8-figure or more yearly players. Based on this assumption, I would also have to assume that we have learned in life how to make $5-10k over the course of a week or two either by dabbling in equities, billing hours, working harder etc. With these assumptions, I have to say that it's pretty ludicrous how we all agonize over trivial items like what deprecation might be on a $1-$5k option.. From sport chrono to buckets... We are spinning ourselves into a mushy tizzy trying to figure out how much we will lose down to the single percentage point on an option. I'm by no means immune from this paranoia.. And I've done my share of contribution to the OCD threads dedicated to how many degrees of dimming/$ spent the automatic mirror option provides. But I'm realizing that after all it's said and done.. When the sport exhaust blares and that PDK-a shifts.. All this BULLL**** will fly out out the window of our collective brains. Just buy the purple with pink polkadot car of your dreams and go flout some speed laws.. We'll be much happier

(This written while pretty drunk on vermentino on the shores of Lake Como... Please excuse any and all logic fallacies and frammatical errors)
Old 09-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm going to make some very basic assumptions here Everyone on this forum (except the teenagers who are pretending to be buyers, and those like Frayed who is a famous alcoholic actor) make north of $250-$300k minimum, all the way up to the 8-figure or more yearly players. Based on this assumption, I would also have to assume that we have learned in life how to make $5-10k over the course of a week or two either by dabbling in equities, billing hours, working harder etc. With these assumptions, I have to say that it's pretty ludicrous how we all agonize over trivial items like what deprecation might be on a $1-$5k option.. From sport chrono to buckets... We are spinning ourselves into a mushy tizzy trying to figure out how much we will lose down to the single percentage point on an option. I'm by no means immune from this paranoia.. And I've done my share of contribution to the OCD threads dedicated to how many degrees of dimming/$ spent the automatic mirror option provides. But I'm realizing that after all it's said and done.. When the sport exhaust blares and that PDK-a shifts.. All this BULLL**** will fly out out the window of our collective brains. Just buy the purple with pink polkadot car of your dreams and go flout some speed laws.. We'll be much happier

(This written while pretty drunk on vermentino on the shores of Lake Como... Please excuse any and all logic fallacies and frammatical errors)
+1. Although I wasn't drunk on vermentino at the time, the above is the exact logic that led me to blow $9K on PCCB's. A year from now the money will be irrelevant, but the regret factor for not getting something I really wanted because it was costly would have been high. Ciao.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:29 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your point is well taken (especially about the money you can make as an alcoholic actor). I will only say from my personal experience, despite being very fortunate in my day job, I am still very OCD about these things, and still for instance spend time looking for airfare deals (and not flying first class). I think it's part of the nature that made me successful in the first place, and it infects my behavior too when I am buying this car. Plus, it gives me a chance to interact with all the fine gents and ladies (and teenagers) on this forum.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:31 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

While I agree with the first part of your post, I also think its ludicrous that anytime someone posts a question about whether they should get this color/that color, or questions about what others think about options, someone immediately turns the thread into - "if you have to ask, you cant afford, or cars aren't investments, or there is no ROI on options, or just get what you want, etc." WE KNOW ALL OF THESE THINGS

I would venture to guess that those here that can afford $150k cars know a thing or two about finances. It's just interesting to some to evaluate, discuss, noodle, whatever you want to call it. Kind of why we are here, right? Or one of the reasons anyway. My initial reason for starting the thread had nothing to do with ROI on options, depreciation, or anything even close to it. Just thought people would be interested in what GT3 buyers were optioning their car with...

Separately, I wish I was drunk on the shores of a lake right now...any lake would do
Old 09-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Clocked
Racer

All: Buy what you want today and for the time you will have the car. DONT buy the car for someone you will sell it to in the future!!!

You really only get one chance in life and why not enjoy these special items for yourself and not for those that will get it when it's used.

If you keep your car for 2 or 3 years or more, really will you miss out on $5 or $10k because you bought the sport buckets or you didn't when you go to sell it if you get some or none of your money for the option? If it does I suggest you not buy the car and by a car that is less expensive.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:35 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

haha there's another one...
Old 09-11-2014, 04:51 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Forget all this talk of depreciation, I just want more stats!
Old 09-11-2014, 08:55 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

haha there's another one...
i was really focusing on the depreciation talk, and i was being funny (or trying) like usual.. your post and opinions, just like everyone elses are completely welcome.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:04 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Your point is valid but many people don't get to this point so to speak by being frivolous with money. While the thousands here and there might not matter much in the grand scheme, I still try to minimize my losses on a depreciating asset. For example, I don't care at all about the front axle lift. I chose the option because I think it will make the car more desirable when I sell it.

Quick Reply: Interesting Statistics - US 991 GT3 Options Ordered Percentages