Sponsored by:

Basic 991 GT3 track mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
change out stock Brake Fluid to a hi-quality fluid like SRF Castrol.
some driving aid...AIM, etc.
Forgot those. A must for sure.

Originally Posted by zedcat
Hi Sam, did you get a bolt in roll bar/half cage installed? Can you tell us which one? Also any issues with the GT2 seat install? I recall reading the sliders/mounts bolt up fine but electrical connectors weren't compatible or something. Did you have to clear airbag lights? I really like the GT2 seats.

Thanks!
Yes, I got the GMG. Airbags work fine except for the fact that the seat mounted airbag is almost flush against the GMG bar when the seat is all the way to the back, which is my setting. Had to figure a workaround to get the passenger weight sensor to cooperate but it's fine.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:35 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Yes, I got the GMG. Airbags work fine except for the fact that the seat mounted airbag is almost flush against the GMG bar when the seat is all the way to the back, which is my setting. Had to figure a workaround to get the passenger weight sensor to cooperate but it's fine.
Did you get any welding done or just gone with the bolt in approach? Curious to hear your thoughts after you pick it up.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:54 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Did you get any welding done or just gone with the bolt in approach? Curious to hear your thoughts after you pick it up.
No welding. Need to keep it removable, not to limit future buyers. Plus to weld that cage would require a lot of mods.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:26 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Huge THANKS to SAMfromTX. It is nice to see someone blaze the trail with a lot of these questions.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:36 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I guess no one figured out a way to import the Porsche clubsport roll bar into the US? Still kills me that clubsport package isn't available here.
It never has been IIRC.

So no surprise
Old 09-11-2014, 08:39 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Level 1 - right seat coach

Level 2 - right seat coach w/data

Level 3 - right seat coach from pro series w/data

The nut behind the wheel is the biggest performance variable.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:00 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium

+1

Add some safety equipment, a little extra camber and practice, practice, practice.

Ryan
Old 09-11-2014, 06:16 PM
j09333
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Where should one start?
I looked up coaches around my area and they all said since I am novice on track get lesser one as a coach.
Their logic was if coach level is too high for students students will not fully benefit from training. One has to build up skills to fully benefit from them and only when one is up to level it will not be waste of money.
Is this right? Starting with pro seems more logical to me. Even though it is expensive, in the long run I think I will need less training. I am thinking of taking 10 track day with training for next year.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:27 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by j09333
Where should one start?
I looked up coaches around my area and they all said since I am novice on track get lesser one as a coach.
Their logic was if coach level is too high for students students will not fully benefit from training. One has to build up skills to fully benefit from them and only when one is up to level it will not be waste of money.
Is this right? Starting with pro seems more logical to me. Even though it is expensive, in the long run I think I will need less training. I am thinking of taking 10 track day with training for next year.
I agree that pro coaches are best especially if you stick with one person because teaching and driving styles vary. That said, if you have never been on track before, then 1-2 days with a DE or a "lesser" coach as a start is probably best to get the basics. Lots and lots of info went flying over my head early on.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I guess no one figured out a way to import the Porsche clubsport roll bar into the US? Still kills me that clubsport package isn't available here.
Insulting really.

Yup, the new RS should come with data / video SD card built in, like the Corvette / AIM / Vbox.

Where should one start?
What's your area? I think that as soon as you are allowed to drive Solo you should hire a coach. Its worth it.

I agree that pro coaches are best especially if you stick with one person because teaching and driving styles vary. That said, if you have never been on track before, then 1-2 days with a DE or a "lesser" coach as a start is probably best to get the basics. Lots and lots of info went flying over my head early on.
Right one of us instructor drovers are fine for the first 10 events, than when you want to get dangerous and drive solo, get a pro coach with data.
Knowing what you don't know is much cheaper than balling it up into a wall or get track insurance...
Old 09-11-2014, 06:55 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Huge THANKS to SAMfromTX. It is nice to see someone blaze the trail with a lot of these questions.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Where should one start?
If you have lots of $$, can't beat having a pro coach, but a good 'regular guy' instructor should be fine until you reach intermediate/advanced level if you choose a quality organization to get instruction with. And within such an organization, you can ask around the paddock to find out who the really good instructors are and request one of them.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:58 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Has anyone bought the 991 GT3 LCA shims from Tarret engineering yet?? If so, what sizes? Is there a general idea that 2 mm shim = -1 degree camber (thats a guess)??
Old 09-13-2014, 01:05 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

When my brother was at Road America, he was chatting with the P-cup teams while checking out their cars in the pits. He said for that track, they were running -3/-2 for camber, but do go to -4/-3. Interesting to see, but of course they run different size tires and wheels.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:31 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot those. A must for sure.

I have a pair of GT2 seats that I took out of my 2010 GT3 when I sold it back to my dealer. I love those seats I'm so glad I can use them in my new 2015 which will be here in Nov. Going to get the GMG Roll Bar. So glad you posted this work :.
Had asked my dealer if he knew if the GT2 seats would work said they would check. He also was going to see if I could get the new Lightweight seats now being offered. Interested to see what they find out?

Quick Reply: Basic 991 GT3 track mods