Sponsored by:

Basic 991 GT3 track mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 04:53 AM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
When my brother was at Road America, he was chatting with the P-cup teams while checking out their cars in the pits. He said for that track, they were running -3/-2 for camber, but do go to -4/-3. Interesting to see, but of course they run different size tires and wheels.
Road America is my home track. I am just trying to learn about the appropriate camber setup for the my car. Does you brother recall the specifics of the camber setup for Road America? You list -3/-2 camber. Is that front/rear?
Old 02-26-2015, 08:35 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,897 Likes on 2,235 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
When my brother was at Road America, he was chatting with the P-cup teams while checking out their cars in the pits. He said for that track, they were running -3/-2 for camber, but do go to -4/-3. Interesting to see, but of course they run different size tires and wheels.
That data isn't very relevant to the 991 GT3. Optimum camber is a function of the car, suspension, tire, tire pressure, track, driving style, etc. Factory cambers on the car are -1.5, which appears to be a good compromise between road and track driving using OEM tires. For primarily track use, most people seem to be using anywhere from -1.5 to -3.0. I plan to initially try -2.0 F & R.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:13 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm getting to the initial stages of getting a cup car decklid /uprights to be fitted and interchangeable with stock one . i will have gettty design to make them. need 5 people ready to commit to it if you want a mold to be made. the cup decklid is 3900 from pcna. expecting the decklid to be around 1500 from getty. pm if interested. If not I will have the only cup decklid/wing on a gt3 .
Old 02-26-2015, 02:56 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2urbo
i'm getting to the initial stages of getting a cup car decklid /uprights to be fitted and interchangeable with stock one . i will have gettty design to make them. need 5 people ready to commit to it if you want a mold to be made. the cup decklid is 3900 from pcna. expecting the decklid to be around 1500 from getty. pm if interested. If not I will have the only cup decklid/wing on a gt3 .
The cup has the third brake light within the rear fascia between the rear taillights as opposed integrated into the spoiler as on the GT3 road car. Probably no issue if the wing is for track only.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:00 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

That's sounds really interesting. Not sure I want the Cup wing, as it's gigantic, but I'd be interested in the RS one. Maybe post in orthojoe's thread?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:19 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cormid
Road America is my home track. I am just trying to learn about the appropriate camber setup for the my car. Does you brother recall the specifics of the camber setup for Road America? You list -3/-2 camber. Is that front/rear?

Yes that was fr/rear for the cup cars being raced there.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:27 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Different Strokes for different folks

Lately, I've been driving around 5000 track miles a year and have played w/ many different setups on this GT3 keeping an open mind and seeing what works, what doesn't from technology/data acquisition to fungibles (tires, brakes, rotors).

Don't want to get into too much, but here's what I've found…

Hoosiers (R6) do NOT work on the GT3. Not going to speculate why? I'm not an engineer and have heard enough crazy comments and I hope not to sound like one of them. Have ideas, but bottom line they just don't work. But, I guess all the fun is to experiment and see for yourself. (MPCS's, Trofeos, Pirellis, etc… tried them all).

As for brake pads, I've found the PFC's are far and away the BEST. (Burned up OEM's which were great, ran Carbotech that were also good, tried Pagid and took them off after half life because they don't stop the car under load).

19" wheels are worth the performance difference. Spent several track days running 20" OEM and then 19's, running lap timer and playing alignment sway bars. (Learned that CL wheels are awesome and not the PIA everyone said they were. Modest investment in breaker bar and torque wrench well worth it).

Pragmatically, running race seats with cage/harness on a street car and a hans may not be optimal, but how do you put a price tag or comfort rating on safety? Have seen enough crashes (or been in one to know they work )

I love these questions on this forum and really enjoy knowing people are entering the fray, each and every day. Never ceases to amaze me all the knowledge and differences of opinions. Best of luck!
Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,897 Likes on 2,235 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
Hoosiers (R6) do NOT work on the GT3. Not going to speculate why? I'm not an engineer and have heard enough crazy comments and I hope not to sound like one of them. Have ideas, but bottom line they just don't work. But, I guess all the fun is to experiment and see for yourself. (MPCS's, Trofeos, Pirellis, etc… tried them all).

19" wheels are worth the performance difference. Spent several track days running 20" OEM and then 19's, running lap timer and playing alignment sway bars. (Learned that CL wheels are awesome and not the PIA everyone said they were. Modest investment in breaker bar and torque wrench well worth it).
Sorry if I missed the answers in other threads, but a few questions:

- Which tires have you like best? And what alignment?

- What performance difference have you seen with the 19" wheels?

Interesting comment on the CL wheels. I've ordered the torque wrench and breaker bar, and look forward to giving it a try once it warms up around here.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:32 PM
est8esq
Racer

Originally Posted by Manifold
Sorry if I missed the answers in other threads, but a few questions:

- Which tires have you like best? And what alignment?

- What performance difference have you seen with the 19" wheels?

Interesting comment on the CL wheels. I've ordered the torque wrench and breaker bar, and look forward to giving it a try once it warms up around here.
PM me and I'll shoot info on tires. I'd prefer not to publicly speak on why I'm so much faster than other GT3's at the track Granted, on straights I'm not seeing much, if any acceleration benefit (which was actually very surprising), but cornering is significant.

I've seen as much as 3+ seconds at Mid Ohio.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:20 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

PM me and I'll shoot info on tires. I'd prefer not to publicly speak on why I'm so much faster than other GT3's at the track Granted, on straights I'm not seeing much, if any acceleration benefit (which was actually very surprising), but cornering is significant.

I've seen as much as 3+ seconds at Mid Ohio.
Why is a better tire a secret?
Old 02-27-2015, 10:33 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Why is a better tire a secret?
The same reason why everyone wears underwear. Size matters.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:39 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lately, I've been driving around 5000 track miles a year and have played w/ many different setups on this GT3 keeping an open mind and seeing what works, what doesn't from technology/data acquisition to fungibles (tires, brakes, rotors).

Don't want to get into too much, but here's what I've found…

As for brake pads, I've found the PFC's are far and away the BEST. (Burned up OEM's which were great, ran Carbotech that were also good, tried Pagid and took them off after half life because they don't stop the car under load).

Pragmatically, running race seats with cage/harness on a street car and a hans may not be optimal, but how do you put a price tag or comfort rating on safety? Have seen enough crashes (or been in one to know they work )

I love these questions on this forum and really enjoy knowing people are entering the fray, each and every day. Never ceases to amaze me all the knowledge and differences of opinions. Best of luck!
What problem were you having with hoosiers?

I know someone running 265-35-19 and 325-30-19 without any issues.

Were you getting weird abs behavior?

PSM weirdness?

Can you clarify what happened?

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:30 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

After receiving my GT3 I brought the car to Max Crawford's Race Shop where his
engineers spent many hours in Research and Development of its new Wing.
Max designed a far higher performance, raised Rear Wing for my 991GT3 very similar to the new GT3RS Wing. it is available for $2,960 as a kit for the 991 GT3 including extended mounting Pylons with Dual LED Brakelights installed and wiring harness so that it is a Plug and Play conversion which takes only 30 minutes to install. The raised Pylons put the Wing in cleaner air and give you a Clear View through the rear mirror. They also do not destroy the Wing's Laminar Flow as do our OEM Wings with a brake light stretching across the Wing's most sensitive area. Sport Auto measured the GT3s downforce as being only 65 Pounds @ 130 MPH. That is a VERY low number, and only half of the 991 Turbo's downforce.
I've been tracking it at several HPDEs. IMHO it works great requiring no further Aerodynamic balancing. Their is NO detectable increase in understeer while it reduces any tendencies for snap oversteer under full throttle in high speed corners. It also makes driving on the road much nicer when you can see the traffic, cars and pedestrians behind you. See my Avatar and the photos. As of yesterday, they had 2 completed Wing Kits available for shipment.
FMI Call David Cooper (704) 483-4175 <www.crawfordcomposites.com>

991 GT3 AT SEBRING WITH CRAWFORD WING

991 GT3 WITH GT3RS TYPE WING

991 GT3 WITH CRAWFORD GT3RS TYPE WING

RIGHT SIDE VIEW 991 GT3 w/Crawford Wing

Left Side View with Crawford Wing

Wing W New Pylon Mounted Brake Lights
Old 02-28-2015, 02:57 PM
est8esq
Racer

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
What problem were you having with hoosiers?

I know someone running 265-35-19 and 325-30-19 without any issues.

Were you getting weird abs behavior?

PSM weirdness?

Can you clarify what happened?

Thanks.
Yeah, judging from your location I think I know who you're talking about too? Saw you guys (or them) at Sebring. Noticed the Crawford wing right away and MONSTER size profile tires from behind and had to chase down the car to get info and compare notes.

If we're talking about the same car, the fronts were running Hoosier R6's and rears were the new R7 compound? (I understand Hoosier is expected to make appropriate sizes by the summer for the fronts in R7?)

Anyway, as I stated I only ran R6 and it's these that I'm talking about. Matter of fact, "Dave", pro racer/coach happened to be right there while we were talking and he too confirmed that our GT3's don't like the Hoosier R6's? He wasn't sure exactly why, but he wasn't getting faster lap times at all, while I was getting slower lap times.

I think that the R6's have too soft sidewalls and the compound doesn't slide whatsoever? Maybe something w/ the AWS that prevents good traction? I don't know, but at least for me proof is in the pudding. My Aim/Solo confirms it.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:45 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, judging from your location I think I know who you're talking about too? Saw you guys (or them) at Sebring. Noticed the Crawford wing right away and MONSTER size profile tires from behind and had to chase down the car to get info and compare notes.

If we're talking about the same car, the fronts were running Hoosier R6's and rears were the new R7 compound? (I understand Hoosier is expected to make appropriate sizes by the summer for the fronts in R7?)

Anyway, as I stated I only ran R6 and it's these that I'm talking about. Matter of fact, "Dave", pro racer/coach happened to be right there while we were talking and he too confirmed that our GT3's don't like the Hoosier R6's? He wasn't sure exactly why, but he wasn't getting faster lap times at all, while I was getting slower lap times.

I think that the R6's have too soft sidewalls and the compound doesn't slide whatsoever? Maybe something w/ the AWS that prevents good traction? I don't know, but at least for me proof is in the pudding. My Aim/Solo confirms it.
Yep - that's the car. I was not there but am friends with the owner. I heard the car was completely fine with the R6 up front and R7 in the rear.

In fact, I have 2 sets of them sitting in my garage waiting for mounting - which is what peaked my interest when I saw your post.

What tires are you using for track duty?

Quick Reply: Basic 991 GT3 track mods