Sponsored by:

New GT3s with motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 06:05 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
me as well. about a week from delivery. mine IS a 2014 and was told when it got the new engine, it was its first engine.

regardless, even if it was swapped out in our case it was done at the factory so who cares?

My thoughts exactly.

Positive for a 15 is it's one model year newer and born with the updated engine.

Positive for a 14 is the 5 year 100,000 miles warranty.

If you don't honestly plan on holding onto the car long the 15 would be a good choice.

If you do plan on holding onto the car long a 14 would be the obvious choice That's of course unless you suffer from OCD and couldn't enjoy the car for what it is. A 14 with a new heart.

I like the idea of a 5/100.

I also don't believe there is any reason for the lemon law designation. Sounds like a salesguy spin to scare some guys away from perfectly good cars and when a few dealers pick them up and they are not lemon law titles say oops and create a little spike in demand and well. The price of hogs.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rwcsn1
No, there is no mention of any lemon law, but I wonder if that is something that is state specific. Though I see a lemon law tag a reasonable thing given what happened.
Why? The lemon is to protect a customer who has taken delivery of a car and has brought it back to the dealer several times and they are still not able to fix it. Hence" I must have bought a lemon, they can't fx it". Or if it has been sitting in the shop over 30 days the customer can also apply for a lemon law claim. Since it was going to take Porsche longer than 30 days to replace an engine this gave the customer the option of filing a lemon law claim if they were not happy with Porsche's remedy for the situation. If Porsche would have been able to somehow replace engines in 1 week then no Lemon Law would apply. That is what the warranty is for.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:11 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zucc
Why? The lemon is to protect a customer who has taken delivery of a car and has brought it back to the dealer several times and they are still not able to fix it. Hence" I must have bought a lemon, they can't fx it". Or if it has been sitting in the shop over 30 days the customer can also apply for a lemon law claim. Since it was going to take Porsche longer than 30 days to replace an engine this gave the customer the option of filing a lemon law claim if they were not happy with Porsche's remedy for the situation. If Porsche would have been able to somehow replace engines in 1 week then no Lemon Law would apply. That is what the warranty is for.

I see your point Zucc but if the cars never made it into customers hands could it still be labeled that? If the cars are customer bails I'm sure a few if not all received compensation already. Maybe? I also think that there can't be a GT3 customer on the face of the planet that doesn't know about the stop sale? I dunno. I'm just guessing.

I guess to summarize, I hope that Porsche doesn't release a couple dozen cars with nothing wrong with them with a lemon law black eye. Even if guys pay MSRP on them it sill hurts the value of those cars one way or another.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2014 that the car was stopped in production on 2/14/2014. Per many conversations with the COO of Porsche North America, he confirmed with me that ever car that was on the production line at the time of stop sale they completed the cars with the defective engines. I was surprised they did that and told the COO that was a very costly approach as they would then need to replace the engines. He confirmed that is what Porsche did in Germany to ALL the cars on the line.

If you want to believe a dealer or the COO of Porsche that is up to you. I just wanted to point out the facts as I know them from the COO. BTW my car has zero smoke on start up.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:23 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clocked
I have a 2014 that the car was stopped in production on 2/14/2014. Per many conversations with the COO of Porsche North America, he confirmed with me that ever car that was on the production line at the time of stop sale they completed the cars with the defective engines. I was surprised they did that and told the COO that was a very costly approach as they would then need to replace the engines. He confirmed that is what Porsche did in Germany to ALL the cars on the line.

If you want to believe a dealer or the COO of Porsche that is up to you. I just wanted to point out the facts as I know them from the COO. BTW my car has zero smoke on start up.

Thanks Clocked for the info.

I appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:24 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocked

I think the COO line is probably correct as it makes sense if you watch the internet builds. I am just sharing what I've been told.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:43 PM
cingulus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sent a note to my sales rep to see if they can get one, they had 2 cars that had been returned last time I was at the dealership. Beats waiting until January delivery.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarcusG
I see your point Zucc but if the cars never made it into customers hands could it still be labeled that? If the cars are customer bails I'm sure a few if not all received compensation already. Maybe? I also think that there can't be a GT3 customer on the face of the planet that doesn't know about the stop sale? I dunno. I'm just guessing.

I guess to summarize, I hope that Porsche doesn't release a couple dozen cars with nothing wrong with them with a lemon law black eye. Even if guys pay MSRP on them it sill hurts the value of those cars one way or another.
Only a customer who has actually taken delivery of a vehicle is able to file a Lemon Law claim. I don't know how else to say it.

I don't why ANY of these cars would have Lemon Law stamps anyway. Porsche agreed to buy back the cars without making the customer file Lemon Law claim. It would be silly for a customer to jump through the hoops of filing a lemon law claim when Porsche already agreed to buy the cars back.

If a customer took delivery, then accepted Porsche's buy back offer, then these cars will be labeled "Manufactuer Buy Back." Not Lemon.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:42 PM
prestonr2010
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

We just found out that Porsche has a few of them that were purchased back from clients when the whole engine issue happened. They have had the engines replaced and are going to be sold to dealers in a Porsche dealer-only auction. They will be sold with a branded title since they were purchased back under the lemon law, but will have an extra year of warranty from Porsche. If we purchase one of those cars we will have it in about two weeks. Would one of those be of interest for you?

This was the email I got - the way I read it they were delivered cars that were titled then bought back.

Guess we will see soon
Old 09-07-2014, 08:15 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
Only a customer who has actually taken delivery of a vehicle is able to file a Lemon Law claim. I don't know how else to say it.

I don't why ANY of these cars would have Lemon Law stamps anyway. Porsche agreed to buy back the cars without making the customer file Lemon Law claim. It would be silly for a customer to jump through the hoops of filing a lemon law claim when Porsche already agreed to buy the cars back.

If a customer took delivery, then accepted Porsche's buy back offer, then these cars will be labeled "Manufactuer Buy Back." Not Lemon.
exactly. It would be insane of them to lemon law a car, when they could just buy it back, how many people even chose not to keep their cars is it 2 or 3? I bet some press cars, exec cars and maybe some driving school cars are coming up for auction
Old 09-07-2014, 08:17 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cingulus
I just sent a note to my sales rep to see if they can get one, they had 2 cars that had been returned last time I was at the dealership. Beats waiting until January delivery.
why not call around and see if you can get one without the lemon title? It will kill you at resale time
Old 09-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I believe these will not come with the lemon title. These were 2014s that PCNA bought back and not the dealer. They were trying to buy them back before the Dealer could. Some Dealers will fight for these for their Customers. But in the end; PCNA will profit because dealers will cut their own margins trying to get these because very few will pay 'X' amt. over sticker.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I believe these will not come with the lemon title. These were 2014s that PCNA bought back and not the dealer. They were trying to buy them back before the Dealer could. Some Dealers will fight for these for their Customers. But in the end; PCNA will profit because dealers will cut their own margins trying to get these because very few will pay 'X' amt. over sticker.
Unless they were bought back as a result of a Lemon Law claim (unlikely) they will not be branded as a "lemon". They will have a " Branded" title though. It will be branded as a Manufacturer Buy Back. Of course some customers will think that is just as bad.

The only way a an actual buy back will not have a branded title is if a dealer bought it back directly from the customer and did not involve Porsche in the transaction.

If a Lemon Law claim is executed then the manufacturer is on the hook for the buy back. Just to be clear, if the manufacturer buys the car back it will have a branded title. This can branded as "Manufacturer Buyback" or "Lemon Law" based on the above mentioned circumstances.

Of course this only applies to cars that were actually delivered to customers, then bought back. If the car was never delivered then no branding is necessary.

Last edited by Zucc; 09-07-2014 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Clairification
Old 09-07-2014, 10:02 PM
AciDShOrT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way we can look up when the car was on the production line? Im going to my dealership tomorrow to ask but I have a few hours now to kill. My car was delivered to me this past tuesday, however it is a MY14. Thanks! BTW, i love the car... so much that i have to find reasons like this to try to think different.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

^^Thanks for the explanation

Quick Reply: New GT3s with motor swap