Sponsored by:

XPEL on GT3 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:24 AM
GT Venum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
I had precut XPEL's installed on my C4S headlights, it delaminated the headlights around the edge and the installer replaced both headlights.

Looks like the installer used a razor to trim the film.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:17 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

My installer covered my c2s lights and said most installers shy away from it because it's just too difficult to get right. They looked perfect for the 6 months I had the car. He is doing my headlights when I get the install next week.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:42 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is with Suntek. No issues so far. Also, he wrapped edges on all body panels, but specifically did NOT on the headlights--not sure why.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:23 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Mine is with Suntek. No issues so far. Also, he wrapped edges on all body panels, but specifically did NOT on the headlights--not sure why.
My installer does not want to have to buy new LED headlights for me if the install process doesn't go well. It's when they put them on, that sometimes they need to lift and stretch and re-apply and smooth that sometimes, not always, they can delaminate the new coatings on the lights.
It has happened once for him in 8 applications. He now has a waiver to sign that says he is not responsible for any damage for headlights.
So, that's a deal breaker for me. And besides, is it really worth it if you are not track driving it?
Old 10-16-2014, 12:52 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
My installer does not want to have to buy new LED headlights for me if the install process doesn't go well. It's when they put them on, that sometimes they need to lift and stretch and re-apply and smooth that sometimes, not always, they can delaminate the new coatings on the lights.
It has happened once for him in 8 applications. He now has a waiver to sign that says he is not responsible for any damage for headlights.
So, that's a deal breaker for me. And besides, is it really worth it if you are not track driving it?
I'm going without clear film on the lights, I'll take some hits on the road, but when I track I'll cover them with vinyl (no adhesive) and tape it down around the edges.

Covered like this, but only taped around the edges and perhaps an "X" of tape across the center.

Ryan
Old 10-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

It is worth it - They are $4800 to replace the pair(LEDs) if some thing happens.

Xpel makes a perfect precut that is very easily installed.

PIA to take them out and fully-wrap. Also - easier to replace down the road if they are not fully wrapped.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,780 Likes on 1,084 Posts

FWIW, 2 different installers I use said they will not install on 991 cars, both cited the same issue on delaminating. One uses suntek, one uses xpel.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:12 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, this is nuts!

I've never heard of such thing. glad I'm on this forum as I would have had my lights clear bra'd. I've had the headlights on all my cars clear bra'd.

I guess I'll just take some hits on the road and at the track put on the delicate painters tape over them.

what about the daytime running lights? will they clear bra those? do those have the same issues?
Old 10-16-2014, 05:10 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From page 7 997 GT3 manual:
Coverings
> Do not affix any coverings (e.g. films or „stone
guards“) in the area of the headlights and air
intakes.
Damage due to excessive temperatures and
abrasion could result.
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...l_GT3_PCNA.pdf
Old 10-16-2014, 05:26 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

There is a protective hard film on the 991 headlights. It is recommended to not place any film over top of it as it can get damaged and delaminated.

Norm from Invisibra here locally no longer does the headlights.

I am not getting the headlights done on my new TTS or GT3.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:28 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
It is worth it - They are $4800 to replace the pair(LEDs) if some thing happens. Xpel makes a perfect precut that is very easily installed. PIA to take them out and fully-wrap. Also - easier to replace down the road if they are not fully wrapped.
Jimmy, I hear you but none of the installers here will do them anymore.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:01 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Dealer is going to do mine before I pick up the car as part of the deal. Going to use Xpel
Old 10-16-2014, 09:23 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Jimmy, I hear you but none of the installers here will do them anymore.
For good reason. I don't like the Orange peel look either.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:20 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 733 Likes on 387 Posts
Default UPDATE

So, after speaking with a few of my clear bra installer friends, we are no longer installing headlight protection on 991s, Boxsters, and Caymans. So far, our track record is perfect and we've not had any issues on the newer generations, but as we all know, in this case, risk is not worth the reward. Until we get word that Porsche has done something new about the coating on headlights, we'll be omitting this from our installs. Perhaps the new coating will prevent the yellowing of headlights that begins to happen a few years into ownership.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:30 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
So, after speaking with a few of my clear bra installer friends, we are no longer installing headlight protection on 991s, Boxsters, and Caymans. So far, our track record is perfect and we've not had any issues on the newer generations, but as we all know, in this case, risk is not worth the reward. Until we get word that Porsche has done something new about the coating on headlights, we'll be omitting this from our installs. Perhaps the new coating will prevent the yellowing of headlights that begins to happen a few years into ownership.
Same conclusion for LED headlights? TIA.

Quick Reply: XPEL on GT3 Headlights