Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More conjecture on 2015 991 GT3 Allocations, or lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014 | 07:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
Macca,I hope you understood the humoristic intent of my post and in no way shape or form it was meant to discredit the excellent achievements of the Action Group.
Regarding your point,I can't argue that it wouldn't be interesting yet pretty extraordinary. Would it bring enough interest? I have no idea.
Yeah, I did get the tongue in cheek nature of your comment (and in no way felt you were discrediting the efforts many on here including myself have made to represent the fair handling of the engine issue) but you touch on a valid issue. There are many here that have made it clear they will never buy a PDK-S equipped car (although Im seeing a ground shift as many of the early detractors of the car have re appeared in the last few weeks claiming they have orders in the system?). Im a traditionalist so if given the choice between the two transmissions I would have chosen manual (and would not have understood the benefits of the PDK on track). The move away from stick has always been teh biggest contention for this car, even the motor noters have repeatedly made mention of it (interestingly they mention nothing when reviewing cars like 458, 458 Speciale, GTR etc). The new engine has received less criticism although its disgraced itself early (in fairness we only had a small sample of engine failures and many feel it was production tolerance related not design or component related as such).

If I felt strongly about the manual transmission I would lobby PAG directly. I think you could raise a few thousand "signatures" for a general "keep manual alive across all 911 variant" petition if you use the key global forums. Probably more. Would it make a difference, maybe not . Maybe.

So although I know you were only partly serious I would suggest its still not to late to unite a group and face PAG up on teh issue before the stick shift is 100% a part of history for the 911 range...
Old 08-26-2014 | 07:54 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Good post, and I appreciate your point of view. The only thing I would say is that it's one thing to discuss this in the abstract and quite another to actually experience the 991 GT3. That's something a few of us have been saying since the very beginning, including AP, who was roundly criticized for saying "shut up and drive".

The proof, I think, is that person after person who has now driven it is now beginning to understand that the whole of this car is much, much more than the sum of it's parts. It's also why some people who were initially very skeptical or even hostile to the new concepts being presented are now coming around. Anyone who drives the 991 GT3 at anything even approaching any of it's limits and comes away thinking it's not involving or rewarding to drive is just very, very hard to please.
I too agree with quality of race's post, unlike many on the manual v. PDK debate.

However, I echo Mike's view. As a new owner, the engine/PDK/steering/chassis integration is amazing. This car was meant to have PDK and I actually think the power delivery aspects are perfect for PDK.

Though the car is on paper very digital, in reality it has an organic, analogue feel. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. From the engine sounds, to the drivetrain lash to the violence of up/down shifts and steering feel. All great stuff.

I am on record stating for months that I'd take the PDK risk and sell the car w/i months if it didn't scratch that itch. If I was at all on the fence about PDK, I would remain silent on this forum and soon sell my car and not post about PDK until my car is sold. That's simply not going to happen.

The best 911 ever. So far.

------------------------
Old 08-26-2014 | 08:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^ I concur. Said better than I could have put it..
Old 08-27-2014 | 12:12 AM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Update - Please do not shoot the messenger and whether what I heard is true or not is up to you to decide(nothing too new). But - It appears the 991 GT3 will end production at the end of Feb. Yes - there are 2015 allocations going out now. It looks like it is half of what the Dealers got for 2014. It appears to be real quiet. I would start sniffing around Dealers for them now and try to land one. Yes- this will be an exclusive model. Not trying to stir any thing but I think this is more positive news. Also some dealers getting a "bonus" allocation- like an extra one.
Old 08-27-2014 | 12:27 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Update - Please do not shoot the messenger and whether what I heard is true or not is up to you to decide(nothing too new). But - It appears the 991 GT3 will end production at the end of Feb. Yes - there are 2015 allocations going out now. It looks like it is half of what the Dealers got for 2014. It appears to be real quiet. I would start sniffing around Dealers for them now and try to land one. Yes- this will be an exclusive model. Not trying to stir any thing but I think this is more positive news. Also some dealers getting a "bonus" allocation- like an extra one.
Where did you hear this from?
Old 08-27-2014 | 12:50 AM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

K997 - I was hesitant to convey this for that reason. I have had not so good intel; and pretty good intel. But- I have an obligation, I feel, to convey what I hear and think could be important. If people start getting allocations then it is good intel. I do not think production ending on the GT3 in Feb is new. I was glad to hear allocations leaking out. I think right now dealers are really sensitive to this because there is a waiting list at many of them and they will not be able to meet demand. I meant this to be positive that there will be more allocations. Just stay on top of it and call around. I am sorry if I can not provide more because I do not want to get burned. But, if what I was told is wrong, I can not see how this would hurt anything and that is why I felt it was worth posting.

I want every one who wants one and is passionate for Porsches to get one
Old 08-27-2014 | 12:55 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

If it helps for the intel in this thread, I received a new allocation as of today, in writing....
Old 08-27-2014 | 01:04 AM
LAGinz
Pro

I also got my confirmation no. today after a phone call from my dealer yesterday. I had been on a 2015 list. Dealer says he has been informed that production will end in February and he suspects it will not resume until the 2016 model comes out.
Old 08-27-2014 | 01:07 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

So it will stop for a months at most.. Then a prettier faster version will come out.. Nothing new here
Old 08-27-2014 | 01:13 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So it will stop for a months at most.. Then a prettier faster version will come out.. Nothing new here
yep. as it always has been. well except for the introduction of the 996.
Old 08-27-2014 | 01:15 AM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Exactly - just confirming what others have posted. The source heard it directly form Atlanta. So - there will be more allocations and pretty much what some expected which was a shortened production92015) due to "stop sale". I just wanted people to know that there will be more allocations.
Old 08-27-2014 | 01:19 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

My experience has been that for all the hype, there are usually (though not always) cars available - Porsche gt and rs cars, Mercedes black series, Audi R/RS models, etc.
Old 08-27-2014 | 02:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LAGinz
I also got my confirmation no. today after a phone call from my dealer yesterday. I had been on a 2015 list. Dealer says he has been informed that production will end in February and he suspects it will not resume until the 2016 model comes out.
This makes no sense. What 2016 model? There will be no 991.2 GT3 coming out until 2017 earliest. If production is finishing Feb 2015 then there will be no more GT3 until 2017 is where my money is...
Old 08-27-2014 | 02:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Alex this is not correct.
Old 08-27-2014 | 03:27 AM
SunnySD
Rennlist Member

Sucks for me. My local dealer dished out 2 2015 allocations. I was #3. Now #1. I've been on the wait list since June of last year. Looks like I might be screwed.

Quick Reply: More conjecture on 2015 991 GT3 Allocations, or lack thereof