991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z06 base price is $78,995

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014 | 10:38 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Honestly, I think that this Z06 is going to be a serious, SERIOUS weapon...and even fully optioned at near 100k it's just such an unbelievable value against even the most basic GT3 for a minimum of 30k more...not to mention tacking on options...or the inevitably overpriced RS. Porsche better start instilling the old enthusiast confidence before other brands slowly creep in...
Old 08-23-2014 | 10:42 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mainly
i dont think the z06 is going to outperform the gt3. let alone the gt3 rs. so i think people can calm down.

people have all seen the reviews. how can any car possibly get better raves for its performance than the 991 gt3? let alone a crappy plastic corvette.
Really??? One look at any track day and a confident driver in a mildly track-prepped c6 Z06 will be giving most cup cars run for their money...this one is just going to be even more deadly and with a far more advanced suspension and aero setup to begin with...

As far as how it is on the street...sure, some things won't be up to Porsche "standards" (even while sliding), but are they 30-90k worse?
Old 08-24-2014 | 12:12 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Really??? One look at any track day and a confident driver in a mildly track-prepped c6 Z06 will be giving most cup cars run for their money...this one is just going to be even more deadly and with a far more advanced suspension and aero setup to begin with...

As far as how it is on the street...sure, some things won't be up to Porsche "standards" (even while sliding), but are they 30-90k worse?
Agreed. The C7 Z06 will crush the GT3 in track times. I guess we'll find out soon enough when Motor Trend puts them on Laguna Seca with Pobst behind the wheel.
Old 08-24-2014 | 12:14 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Agreed. The C7 Z06 will crush the GT3 in track times. I guess we'll find out soon enough when Motor Trend puts them on Laguna Seca with Pobst behind the wheel.
Didn't the C6 Z06 also outperform the 997 GT3?

If we use the 'Ring as one data point:

Corvette C6 Z06 7:22.68
Porsche 911 GT2 RS 7:24
Porsche 911 GT2 7:34
Porsche 911 GT3 997MkII 7:40

Last edited by ipse dixit; 08-24-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-24-2014 | 03:47 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Frayed its not so much about Porsche hasnt been a good bang for the buck, its just its becoming a worse bang for the buck by large percentage points. I dont understand what Porsche is doing. They are dumping 911 Turbo S's all over the place. Bakersfield my closest dealer is your typical small town Porsche dealer. No base 911 no 911 S, No base turbo, no GT3 but YOU BET they have a 197K turbo S. WHY? Beverly Hills has 15-20 200K (by the time you get out of there its going to be WELL OVER $200K) So now the RS is rumored to be $200K But just for discussion lets say its $180K.
You know I was in the GT3 game in the 997 world. My 2004 996 GT3 loaded was 122K, the 2007 997 was 126K, The base 2010 RS was $132 So now the RS is going up 25%. There are more Turbo Ss than Turbos so thats an increase of 30% based on a 2010 Turbo of 133K.
I have no idea on what Porsche is trying to do. None of my friends as engineers and engineering managers have had salary increases of 25-30% over the last 5 years.
In 2009 a Z06 was $75K-$85K, So its like the Z06 hasnt gone up at all except in quality and HP,
and its better than the ZR1 was a couple years ago.
At the end of the Ferrari 360 production run if you were a good Ferrari customer you could buy and drive a 360 or 430 for a couple years and sell it for more than you paid for it. Thats no longer true. So just using that yard stick the economy isnt what it was in 2005 even. But Porsche is increasing prices on 911s dramatically .
I could be missing something and it could just be my perception. But tonite I am out at the local airport. My friend is a Cardiologist at Cedar Sinai. He has 7 cars from a Aerial Atom to a new Mercedes E class to several vintage 911s and 911 Turbo and a MP4. We were looking at his new plane. I told him the pricing of the Z06. He said he always wanted a Corvette but never grabbed one. But I asked him if he was going to get a GT3RS and he said "I dont know what Porsche is doing. They are raising prices big time and pricing people out of the market" "I think I will get a Z06 and a Alfa 4C and pocket the difference.
So while I may be wringing my hands at least there is one other car enthusiast who wonders the same thing and I bet he wouldnt have to sweat the price like me or some of my long time 911 guys would have to do. I have been infatuated with the 911 since 1970
I think the reason I worry so much is because I dont know if I will be able to buy another one and my string of 5 911s maybe at its end. I was hoping my next one would be back into a GT3 or RS since my health has been restored including my back.
I am trying to understand its philosophy. Still makes SUVs but wants to be in supercar price range?

Robert, the C6 Z06 was close to the 997 GT3(RS) in performance (500 Hp)but still not so far off the price Now it gets 620HP
Carbon Ceramic brakes and its still under $95K while the RS is almost $100K MORE?Approximately of course
Old 08-24-2014 | 04:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Oldguy. I agree Porsche is hiking its prices in USA/Europe. I our market prices are coming down. We have been subsidising Porsches in your markets for years. Before taxes or any duties the base price of our 991S is 65% more than in USA using average FX from last 24 months (our dollar is very strong). America is the greatest/richest nation on earth (in NZ top Cardiologist can rarely afford 7 car collection and new airplane!).

I think the answer is a simple economic one. Porsche has historically been cheaper than other Euro manufacturers for similar performance. Now USA is no longer 50% of Porsche sales. Infact with Macan in China, and the BRIC countries inclining the Young Tiger nations it will become 25% over the next 5-8 years.

Looking at my 991 GT3 and the review Ive just read of the 458 Speciale in Autocar UK a few days ago (they "mildly preferred the 991 GT3") I cant agree that in relative terms for under half the money the 991 GT3 isn't sinterlatingly good value regardless of the price charged.

My advice. Buy back your 993 Turbo and own an appreciating classic for the next t 10 years. By the time you sell it will be worth more than 1.5 x new 9XX model GT3RS :-)
Old 08-24-2014 | 04:18 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yea Macca it seems petty to complain given the prices the ROW has to pay.
I hope Porsche pays attention to the long term markets, you never know what
will happen with Eastern markets given the geopolitical climates in places like that.
That booming market could go bust quickly, then the US would be the same market it
always has. I saw a video of the ghost towns of China. New Modern Towns that are
miles and Miles long with new apartments and houses and buildings as far as
the eyes can see. With not a single person living in those towns. I dont remember
what news organization it was but they said it was on the verge of a huge downturn.
I dont understand how economies like that work, so I take those reports with a large
of salt.
Old 08-24-2014 | 04:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Agreed Oldguy. Things can cha ge very quickly and Russia is a point in case (i.e. Germany could loose very badly if imports from EU are banned). As for China. My view is its all "cooked books" but like our mate Bernie Maddoff you can get away with this for a long time if you have the cashflow! In the meantime I will continue paying too much for my cars to help you guys out so I can come over and enjoy buying cheap Levis and electrical goods etc when Im on holiday. Infact almost everything we buy today is on Amazon or ebay and its still 40% cheaper after shipping to downunder! ;-)
Old 08-24-2014 | 05:19 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

LOL dont waste Plane Tix just tell me what you need and I will ship it back over la Ponde!!
Old 08-24-2014 | 05:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

OG. Thanks! Very kind mate. I may take you up on that. But I do enjoy visiting your country. Its not true what they say about you guys ;-)
Old 08-24-2014 | 05:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Is that your 50th anniversary 991S in your avatar? Beautiful!
Old 08-24-2014 | 05:54 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
My friend is a Cardiologist at Cedar Sinai. He has 7 cars from a Aerial Atom to a new Mercedes E class to several vintage 911s and 911 Turbo and a MP4. We were looking at his new plane. I told him the pricing of the Z06. He said he always wanted a Corvette but never grabbed one. But I asked him if he was going to get a GT3RS and he said "I dont know what Porsche is doing. They are raising prices big time and pricing people out of the market" "I think I will get a Z06 and a Alfa 4C and pocket the difference.
Originally Posted by Macca
America is the greatest/richest nation on earth (in NZ top Cardiologist can rarely afford 7 car collection and new airplane!)
For the record, most U.S. physicians can't afford 7 cars and an airplane. In years past, they might have. But not anymore. My wife and I are both physicians, we both work our tails off, and I still feel semi-guilty for the monthly payment I make for the 991S. (My wife drives a basic BMW 3-series and we have an Acura SUV for the kids.) On Long Island where we live, the real money is with business owners, celebrities and finance people. We’re middle class.
Okay--back to the discussion.
Old 08-24-2014 | 06:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paradocs. Thanks for clarifying. It was somewhat tounge in cheek but its always good to learn a little more "truth" about another country, especially one that people frequently miss understand or interpret.
Old 08-24-2014 | 06:18 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Macca yea, its a 50th or as we know it the "GT3 wanna be"
Paradocs, I understand, He is a cardiologist in Beverly Hills a very good one. But he comes to our town for 3 days a week and when I get to see him he is usually drained. He works Mon-Wed in BH then thurs-Sat here and travels back on Sun. THe only reason he has a large collection is because he never sells his cars back. I would have more if I did the same. But he really gives of himself to the community and the help he has given me is amazing outside of his practice (on my business)
I would say 90% of all the doctors I know do it for the love of people, and 10% for the money. Some just end up making alot of money. The only new car he has is the E Class, and he bought that because he was so tired from driving up that he was falling asleep driving so he bought this because of the safety drivers aids. He has a small 4 place mooney airplane and the ONLY reason he comes up here is to help all the engineers and scientists that live up here, his way of serving his country. He would probably make 35% more by staying at the hospital in BH instead of coming to our town.
Old 08-24-2014 | 07:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

OG. Are those much cheaper than 991 GT3 in the USA? Here they are about the same price....

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 base price is $78,995