Sponsored by:

My thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts
Default My thoughts

Many on RL have posted outstanding reviews of the car which I agree with. I will try to give my perspective. I have put on 75 miles in three days on the car. Also, know that I have owned several Porsche's including 911's Boxster S, TT's, Ferrari's 360's and 430's and "other" high performance cars. I have also driven extensively the CGT, Stradale, Scuderia and California. But I am not a track junkie. I have done many track events but no where near what many of the RL posters have had. PLEASE EXCUSE THE TYPO'S. I was thinking and typing.

EXTERIOR; the car looks better on the street than on a showroom floor. It has an aggressive stance and definitely projects a Porsche race car. It sits very low so much so that invariably you are looking up (or they at looking down) at cars alongside of you.

I don't have the lifter but I cannot understand why some would need it. So far I have scraped once and it does not show on the splitter.

It gets a lot of attention but not nearly as much as Ferrari or CGT.

INTERIOR. I order the full leather dash with the sport clock. Ai least to me it makes a huge difference in the look of the car. An upgrade interior elevates the car form a dedicated track rat to one that accommodates DD and projects an elegance worthy of a $150,000 automobile. Overall the interior is very well done and the materials are of the best quality. This was a pleasant surprise for me.

I have the four way seats and they are positioned like all 911's perfectly just behind the pivot point of the car. The GT3 seats are deeper and you sit lower enabling the driver to feel not only the pivot point but project a oneness with the car. The seats are more snug fitting than the 991 C2S I was driver. Again, given it's racing purpose an excellent set up.

The dials are situated perfectly. You can see the instruments clearly while driving aggressively. The paddles are small but since the turn with the wheel (Ferrari paddles are much bigger and don't turn) they work well allowing easy shifting while turning.

Rear view visibility is very restricted. The tail blocks out cars behind you and you must rely on your side mirrors.

The exterior noise on the road is relatively quiet. The car does block out much of the outside noise with the windows up.

The AC is great! Good airflow and cools the car quickly.

Most importantly, the ride quality though somewhat stiff is very comfortable. I drive in it all day long. What I drove the Stradale and Scuderia and would have a headache in 20 minutes.

STEERING. As state by others it is sharp and responsive. Yet, to me it felt a little heavy which too many is a good thing. You can feel the road through the wheel (I have the leather wheel covering) which is important especially on track surfaces. Knowing AND FEELING what your tires are doing is paramount in any high performance sport car.

However, as I posted before I did feel a little lightness in the front end but have yet to feel that again.

EXHAUST. I love the exhaust. It is aggressive but not in your face like a Ferrari. it is almost like the CGT. At low speeds not very noticeable but once you hit the higher revs the car sings like no other. AND again it not a ricer sound but a smooth sound of an aggressive engine revving at incredible speed. Personally I prefer over the Ferrari sound.

BRAKES. I have the standard brakes and they are great. Their stopping power are incredible. Formula One cars are noted not only for their astonishing acceleration but for equally astonishing braking stopping power. Well, the GT3 brakes may not be F1 brakes but they can slow you down faster than you can imagine. Perfect for DD and track activities.

That said, I have had loud squealing recently when applying the brakes especial as a slow to a stop. Since these are high performance brakes and have some residual glazing on the them I am assuming the squeal will stop once on get on them hard a few times.

PDK-S. Without a doubt the best transmission I have experienced. The Ferrari is no match for the Porsche PDK. It is brilliant in every aspect. Lightning fast in up and downshifts whether your in manual or auto. There is no hesitation and the engine responds to the shifts as though they are one. Just fabulous!

PERFORMANCE; I have revved the engine to 8K. But did so only briefly. I never stay at any rev too long. I try to alternate different rev ranges allowing the car to acclimate to my driving habits.

The car at higher revs is like a go kart with a rocket attached to its rear. At lower revs it is much different. The torque/pull is altogether different. Some have complained that the car lacks lower end torque and I can see why. But to me that is not a drawback. In the CGT with its 612 hp depress the throttle too hard and you go into a spin. And that is the beauty of the GT3. The car is controllable and easy to drive fast. I don't want to play Russian Roulette while driving my car. I want it to respond to me and not have control me.

If you want pull/torque hit the throttle and the GT3 take off like a rocket. But if I am merging into traffic I can feather the throttle and control my speed without have all hell break loose.

I have not gone from 8K to (k but if it is anything like going fro 7k to 8k we are in for a treat. All hell breaks loose and the 8-9k will be phenomenal.

To me one of the best features of the car is the RWD. All I can say is WOW!. I can take corners at speeds I never thought possible. The car is so planted and the rear merging with the front is extraordinary. What a feeling!

SUMMARY. Steve Sutcliffe of AutoCar car said it is the best sport car he has ever driven. I whole heartily agree. What makes the 991GT3 so good is it is easy and comfortable to drive and yet in performance mode it allows a mediocre driver like me to experience the almost full potential of the car. What more can any one of us ask for?

The car is worth the wait and equally important is too recognize what an unbelievable performance value it is. Those of us that own one are very fortunate.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:27 PM
brass4321
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review Nick. Mine will also be a daily driver so I hope to hear more of your impressions.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:43 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

wow, awesome review...I am psyched
Old 08-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

A terrific and useful write up Nick. Thank you! Of course I'm biased and love to read positive feedback but it's comforting that you do compare specific issues to the Ferrari etc. it's all good to read.

I spent the morning at Barber and was driven for 10 laps in my friends GT3 at full blown performance speeds! All I can say is that this car defies the laws of physics like no other! Taking S' at 90mph and not even breaking a sweat! The car was staggeringly composed. You are spot on about the RWS! It was incredibly well planted and the ride, during aggressive track driving, was comfortable enough to not have the passenger hang on to handles for dear life! I loved it!!! My friend, who is a scca instructor said it has surpassed his every expectation. I have NO reason to doubt that this has to be one of the best, if not the best, sports car in the world!

Btw, I too am going for the steel brakes but the ceramics really do look like the dogs danglies! Awesome!
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2014, 07:06 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

those CC's look different than my Brembo's..I don't have any circular rings on mine after 10K miles and 20 track days?

Old 08-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

^ kfmc, here's another pic. I noticed a significant amount of "crackling". I though it's normal.
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2014, 08:03 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

yeah, definitely I have the crackling, ever since new ---just different pad compounds I would guess causing the etching on the 991--anyway I specced mine with PCCb's
I also noticed more Carbon Fiber "flecks" in the Brembo ZR1 discs vs PCCB's
Old 08-17-2014, 08:18 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review, Nick. Glad you are loving it. I was out driving on back roads today and in a couple of areas where the road was a little uneven, the front end did feel a little "light" as you previously mentioned. I then realized I had the suspension on firm. Once I changed that, the car felt more planted. Firm suspension while going fast on regular roads unnerve me a bit and I wonder when you experienced the lightness if your suspension was on firm as well, possibly contributing to that feel.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:24 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Great review, Nick. Glad you are loving it. I was out driving on back roads today and in a couple of areas where the road was a little uneven, the front end did feel a little "light" as you previously mentioned. I then realized I had the suspension on firm. Once I changed that, the car felt more planted. Firm suspension while going fast on regular roads unnerve me a bit and I wonder when you experienced the lightness if your suspension was on firm as well, possibly contributing to that feel.
Sam, that's it! I was in firm suspension. I'll be damned. Never thought of that.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,182 Likes on 5,296 Posts

Terrific write-up, Nick.

And it looks like I'm in your neck of the woods (America's Finest City). If you ever see a silver 991 C4S, waive!

Old 08-17-2014, 11:15 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Nick, Quite a through and thoughtful positive piece . Refreshing how you mention impressions on
things like the AC , seat position, visibility and so fourth , on the over all livability of the car with such positive candid analysis . Really great, as I've Followed things you have stated before , would not think you would be an easy grader ,although I bet your driving skills a tad underrated .
I hope you are out on a drive right now sporting a big old smile
Old 08-17-2014, 11:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

I'll add to the thankyous.. Very cool to hear comparison with sports cars I haven't owned or driven
Old 08-17-2014, 11:53 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Excellent write-up, Nick. Thank you

I have put about 200 miles on mine now since Friday and several impressions parallel yours.

One slight difference I noted was the relatively light steering wheel. You mention it's heavy. I relate my perception of the steering being light to the effort required for a given amount of turn. Given the rear steering, I find I don't need as much lock as I would w/ the C2S for example and I interpret that as being light. (My impression)

I also have the PCCBs so that may play a bit in the equation. That said, I suspect my skills probably would fall short of detecting 26 lbs of unsprung weight...

Alain
Old 08-18-2014, 01:01 AM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great writ up Nick. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:15 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,467 Likes on 766 Posts

Wow!!! I do not now what to say....I am speechless. Thanks

Quick Reply: My thoughts