Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up my GT3 today! First Impressions (over 700 miles in 1 day)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
GT3 second impressions

Ok I've had it a week now and I'm liking it more and more. Have put 800 miles on it and gradually increasing the revs. Have been up to 7k lots of times and 8k once. Sounds epic of course. Not relaxed about it yet though because I'm still taking care. Can't wait to rip it through the gears or try launch control.

DISASTER STRIKES! Am I the first 991 GT3 owner to to lose a tyre to a huge metal spike lying invisibly on the edge of the road? The alert was raised by the tyre pressure monitoring system that gives a series of warnings. That was a GOOD thing as I probably wouldn't have noticed until my alloys were scraping on the ground. The BAD thing was it could hardly have happened at a worse time or place. 100 miles from home on a break-in run stuck in a 3 mile queue of walking-pace traffic filing past Stonehenge with no-where to pull in.

And try getting a 305 30 ZR 20 MPSC2 at 17.30 on a Friday! I did discover the GT3 comes with a bottle of glue but discovered no pump. Any ideas anyone? Forced to drive slowly with a glued up wheel (after meeting a very kind gentleman returning from a funeral with a compressor) I appreciate the DD ability of the car more than ever. Put it in slush mode and it's as smooth as anything driving through pouring rain with the auto wipers on while watching the TPM gentle found downwards. Now trapped in a hotel in Bournemouth, probably for the weekend!
Wow, Paul! Bad luck.....sorry.

Pull up the large panel in the frunk at the base of the windshield where the battery is located. The compressor is in a compartment under another small lid.
Good luck!
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Wow, Paul! Bad luck.....sorry.

Pull up the panel in the frunk at the base of the windshield where the battery is located. The compressor is in a compartment under another small lid.
Good luck!
Good advice. Cheers Mike. At least in Bournemouth Chez Fred serves foot-long battered haddock.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nigelr32
I am so jealous Paul. You have the same car I have on order, only mine will have the clubsport pack.. If it ever gets built that is??

Hopefully meet up with you some day on a club event or track day?
When is yours due? What UK clubs are there? I'm new to GT3 ownership?
Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Haku
Thanks for the explanation Paul, appreciated.
How's the car handling London streets? Am thinking more about speed bumps around Swiss Cottage / St.Johns Wood.
Car is ok around London, only occasionally scraping. I sometimes use the lifter but I have to go very slowly to avoid bottoming out the suspension. The car gets pretty hot in summer in slow traffic. The frunk gets like an oven with its proximity to the radiators.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Car is ok around London, only occasionally scraping. I sometimes use the lifter but I have to go very slowly to avoid bottoming out the suspension. The car gets pretty hot in summer in slow traffic. The frunk gets like an oven with its proximity to the radiators.
Paul, sorry about your tire woes. I hope it's all sorted out.
That's interesting about the frunk. It getting that warm is so different to my 991S in which the frunk stayed at quite an ambient temp.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Gets very warm, very different to my 997 C2S and loaner Boxster. I won't be able to keep cream cakes in there!
Old 08-10-2014, 11:37 AM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GT3 second impressions

Ok I've had it a week now and I'm liking it more and more. Have put 800 miles on it and gradually increasing the revs. Have been up to 7k lots of times and 8k once. Sounds epic of course. Not relaxed about it yet though because I'm still taking care. Can't wait to rip it through the gears or try launch control.

DISASTER STRIKES! Am I the first 991 GT3 owner to to lose a tyre to a huge metal spike lying invisibly on the edge of the road? The alert was raised by the tyre pressure monitoring system that gives a series of warnings. That was a GOOD thing as I probably wouldn't have noticed until my alloys were scraping on the ground. The BAD thing was it could hardly have happened at a worse time or place. 100 miles from home on a break-in run stuck in a 3 mile queue of walking-pace traffic filing past Stonehenge with no-where to pull in.

And try getting a 305 30 ZR 20 MPSC2 at 17.30 on a Friday! I did discover the GT3 comes with a bottle of glue but discovered no pump. Any ideas anyone? Forced to drive slowly with a glued up wheel (after meeting a very kind gentleman returning from a funeral with a compressor) I appreciate the DD ability of the car more than ever. Put it in slush mode and it's as smooth as anything driving through pouring rain with the auto wipers on while watching the TPM gentle found downwards. Now trapped in a hotel in Bournemouth, probably for the weekend!
What a bummer. I lost a tire on the Panamara the night I brought it home. Ran over a key and key ring that we found in the tire later. I was able to limp home, only a couple of miles before it was completely flat. I called Porsche in the morning, they flat bedded it to the dealer. The dealer brought a tech in over the weekend for me and I was on the road again. It was a nice experience of good customer service.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:19 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Underscores the shortcoming of the goo/compressor fix for a flat. Goo also screws up the TPMS sensor in the tire.

Quick Reply: Picked up my GT3 today! First Impressions (over 700 miles in 1 day)