Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real world experience: LED vs. Xenon headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 04:22 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

BMW LEDs have some cool additional functionality. These features are disable for the US-spec cars due to DOT regulations, but can be enabled with some coding. Not sure if this is true for Porsche cars as well, but it's worth looking into.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:31 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PDLS Plus Sounds pretty good to me!

LED Main Headlights
Full LED headlights with low/high beams in LED technology, automatic headlight leveling and LED 4-point daytime running lights surrounded by the LED light ring.

Dynamic Cornering Light
Dynamic cornering lights swivel the low beam in accordance with cornering characteristics, depending on the steering angle.

Speed-Dependent Headlight Range Control
Speed-dependent headlight range control increases light distribution after 3,300 feet at 68 mph or higher, or immediately after 81 mph and above provided the steering wheel is not turned sharply.

Sport Mode
Activated in Sport mode - allows for greater swivel angle depending on steering input.

Headlight Cleaning System
Washer system used to clean the headlight housing in order to effectively maintain optimal lighting while vehicle is in use.

High Beam Assistant
When a camera located inside the rear-view mirror detects the headlights of an oncoming vehicle, the high beams are automatically turned off at a distance of approximately 2,600 feet. If the taillights of a vehicle traveling in front are detected, the high beam is then turned off at a distance of approximately 1,300 feet.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:29 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
PDLS Plus Sounds pretty good to me!

LED Main Headlights
Full LED headlights with low/high beams in LED technology, automatic headlight leveling and LED 4-point daytime running lights surrounded by the LED light ring.

Dynamic Cornering Light
Dynamic cornering lights swivel the low beam in accordance with cornering characteristics, depending on the steering angle.

Speed-Dependent Headlight Range Control
Speed-dependent headlight range control increases light distribution after 3,300 feet at 68 mph or higher, or immediately after 81 mph and above provided the steering wheel is not turned sharply.

Sport Mode
Activated in Sport mode - allows for greater swivel angle depending on steering input.

Headlight Cleaning System
Washer system used to clean the headlight housing in order to effectively maintain optimal lighting while vehicle is in use.

High Beam Assistant
When a camera located inside the rear-view mirror detects the headlights of an oncoming vehicle, the high beams are automatically turned off at a distance of approximately 2,600 feet. If the taillights of a vehicle traveling in front are detected, the high beam is then turned off at a distance of approximately 1,300 feet.
Thanks - I have LED's on my GT3 and don't see any high beam assistant (like in the manual, where you can turn it on or off), so I assume that it just does it all automatically...very cool.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
Thanks - I have LED's on my GT3 and don't see any high beam assistant (like in the manual, where you can turn it on or off), so I assume that it just does it all automatically...very cool.
I'm still trying to figure this feature out. I can make the LEDs go into high beam assist ( and get the headlight icon with the "A" to illuminate on left gauge) with the high beam stalk. But I need to recheck my light settings in the PCM because I'd expect all this to be automatic since my main light function is set on auto.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:09 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
I'm still trying to figure this feature out. I can make the LEDs go into high beam assist ( and get the headlight icon with the "A" to illuminate on left gauge) with the high beam stalk. But I need to recheck my light settings in the PCM because I'd expect all this to be automatic since my main light function is set on auto.
Thanks - how do you get that icon to appear?
Old 07-17-2014, 12:59 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,393 Likes on 724 Posts

^at to change the topic but your avatar has been catching my attention for months. Tell me about the car. What color is that??. Is that a picture of a Porsche you owned? I love burgundy and it is a color you do not see often but I think it suits Porsches very well.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:03 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^at to change the topic but your avatar has been catching my attention for months. Tell me about the car. What color is that??. Is that a picture of a Porsche you owned? I love burgundy and it is a color you do not see often but I think it suits Porsches very well.
Haha - I love that color, too - not a car I owned, just a poster I admire. I think it is Arena Red.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:48 AM
jcoles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]BMW LEDs have some cool additional functionality. These features are disable for the US-spec cars due to DOT regulations, but can be enabled with some coding. Not sure if this is true for Porsche cars as well, but it's worth looking into./QUOTE]

I just got a BMW with LED's. I made a big deal about getting them as my sight sucks at night. Thank you for showing me that button. I didn't know that car had that feature.

I will say though I don't think BMW's LED are that good. My Xenon's on my 2011 Panamera were great. They seem to throw a lot of light down the road. The LED's are great side to side but I don't think they reach as far.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:30 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
Thanks - how do you get that icon to appear?
You push the high beam stalk forward.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,735 Likes on 918 Posts

LEDs and PCCBs fall into same category: bling. You don't need em but you want em.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:03 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

well, the PCCB do brake better, but they don't last as long. if the LED were bright, then those of us with night vision issues would order 10 LED head lights and light up the night. still not sure if it's just more functional or "brighter" and throws farther.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,393 Likes on 724 Posts

^^I agree. all Bling in the end. That is why we have all ordered slightly different upgrades. To each their own
Old 07-19-2014, 07:32 PM
sidicks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just been out for my first night time drive in my GT3 - on full beam the LED headlights are amazing.

One question though, the configurator refers to LED headlights with PDLS+, yet the handbook that I have only refers to the standard PDLS.

On the Turbo model the LED lights with PDLS+ include dynamic main beam control / high beam assist but I don't have the same options for this as shown on the Porsche 'good to know' videos, and the lights didn't seem to be changing when I was driving.

Anyone have any information as to whether the GT3 LED lights are the same as those of the Turbo S (and hence should have the same functionality...)!

Thanks

Sidicks
Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I liked them on the turbo but can't compare since my GT3 hasn't been made yet. That would be a disappointment if they've limited the functionality. Reminds me a bit of the memory on the 18-way seats... only it's hard to imagine there is any weight saving or other benefit to leaving this out...
Old 07-19-2014, 08:59 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
BMW LEDs have some cool additional functionality. These features are disable for the US-spec cars due to DOT regulations, but can be enabled with some coding. Not sure if this is true for Porsche cars as well, but it's worth looking into.

BMW Adaptive LED Headlights (Система освещения BMW) - YouTube
I had my M5 coded to enable this functionality, and it is pretty awesome. Rest of the world Porsches with LED headlights have a very similar system, but as said, it is disabled on USA cars. I would love it if someone figures out how to reenable it on USA cars.

Even without the added "smart functionality" for high beams enabled, I really like the LED's on my 2014 Turbo S coupe, and I ordered them on my 2014 GT3 as well.

Quick Reply: Real world experience: LED vs. Xenon headlights