Sponsored by:

A little Porsche trivia

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts
Default A little Porsche trivia

Here is a test of your Porsche knowledge and no fair looking it up on the internet, as that makes it too easy. You either know or you don't. What is the significance of the wording in the photo? Extra credit if you can identify exactly what it's a picture of and it's significance.

Hint: The photo was taken 2 weeks ago at the Porsche Museum.
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2014, 05:05 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't know so looked it up. Cool.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^^ I'd seen that wording before but I didn't know what it referred to either until about 6 months ago. I specifically looked for an example at the museum. While we're waiting for a reply to the first question, here's another one that I thought I knew the answer to but it turns out that, according to the museum guide, I didn't. What was the REAL reason why the ignition switch was initially located on the left side of the steering column in a Porsche?

Hint: It has nothing to do with LeMans.....
Old 07-12-2014, 05:25 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Well, I was going to say LeMans and for all those years, I always felt I'm going to race getting into the car. Time for google again. It better be good.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:29 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

OK, so now I'm really curious as the first 5 or 6 search results said the same thing, LeMans or racing.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I'll be surprised if google has the real answer to that one.

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
OK, so now I'm really curious as the first 5 or 6 search results said the same thing, LeMans or racing.
We'll let it ride for a bit and see if anyone has an idea.....
Old 07-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked it up...so I guess I shouldn't post the answer. Very cool. I learned something today. I'm buying the sticker to put it on my Gt3
Old 07-12-2014, 05:59 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't stand it. Tell us!!!
Old 07-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

OK, Sam's waiting on the ignition question so let's get to that one first.

I'll preface this by saying that the guide who showed me around really seemed to know his stuff. You can usually tell when someone doesn't quite have the straight scoop on something you have some knowledge about but this guy hit every note right.

Anyway, first he asks if I know why Porsche started with the model number 911 which I did; because Puegeot held the rights to number 901. Then he asks me if I know why the ignition is on the left and, feeling all smug, I give the answer about LeMans and being able to grab the starter and gearshift simultaneously. Nope, he says. That was what Porsche marketing came up with after the fact and the real reason is much more mundane. The ignition circuit required less copper wiring with the switch on the left and therefore was cheaper to build!
Old 07-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

All right. We've had a respectable number of views with no reply yet. Too bad because the prize was going to be really special. What, I didn't mention there was a prize?

Everyone has heard of Weissach, Porsche's facility northwest of Stuttgart. What's not as well known is that Weissach and Flacht are neighboring villages and the 100 acre Porsche complex is actually built on the border between them. The R&D buildings are on the Weissach side, but the Motorsport buildings are on the Flacht side.

Apparently there has always been a rather healthy "competition" between the two towns and residents are rather prideful about what comes from where. As a result, the Motorsport guys occasionally give a bit of a needle to the R&D guys by stenciling "Made in Flacht" on their creations. This particular "Made in Flacht" is on the left taillight of the 1998 LeMans winning GT1 driven by Aiello, McNish and Ortelli.

Maybe someone can win a bet with this info at their next Porsche gathering!
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2014, 06:45 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
All right. We've had a respectable number of views with no reply yet. Too bad because the prize was going to be really special. What, I didn't mention there was a prize? Everyone has heard of Weissach, Porsche's facility northwest of Stuttgart. What's not as well known is that Weissach and Flacht are neighboring villages and the 100 acre Porsche complex is actually built on the border between them. The R&D buildings are on the Weissach side, but the Motorsport buildings are on the Flacht side. Apparently there has always been a rather healthy "competition" between the two towns and residents are rather prideful about what comes from where. As a result, the Motorsport guys occasionally give a bit of a needle to the R&D guys by stenciling "Made in Flacht" on their creations. This particular "Made in Flacht" is on the left taillight of the 1998 LeMans winning GT1 driven by Aiello, McNish and Ortelli. Maybe someone can win a bet with this info at their next Porsche gathering!
Wow! Thanks, Mike! I was waiting for the curtain to be pulled back!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:10 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

That is cool!! I love it!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:13 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cmon Less copper wiring? Hard to believe. The Le Mans legend is a better story. I'm sticking with that!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by promocop
Cmon Less copper wiring? Hard to believe. The Le Mans legend is a better story. I'm sticking with that!
I like the LeMans story better too.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great trivia Mike! Very interested by the key being on the left side. I didn't understand why it was on the left hand side with the copper? Is it because it's cheaper to have copper rather than aluminum or other metal in length?

Quick Reply: A little Porsche trivia