Sponsored by:

PTS Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PTS Question...

How does Porsche feel about using a paint color from a different manufacturer? If I found a color on a Lexus or BMW that I really liked, I wonder if they would approve of it or do other manufacturers restrict the use of their colors.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:27 PM
nh4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been trying to get the details of the PTS process straight in my head as well. There are a few threads on the topic and I'd recommend reading through them. See the "Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You! " in the 991 section.

In short, my understanding is that if you want a color not on the approved list, you need to get a sample of it sprayed on a piece of sheet metal and send it to Porsche. Once they have it Porsche has a vetting process to see it the color passes their internal wear and fade tests. These tests can take up to 9 months.

In the case of wanting another manufacturers color, you'd probably need to get the match worked out with your local paint shop for the sample to send to Porsche. In the samples you send, I'd probably stick with just saying, "This is the color I want" rather than "This is a Ferrari Red from the 458"

There are versions of the approved color list in the thread I mentioned above. Another thing to note with PTS is it seems Porsche will stable all the PTS cars and then do them in batches a few times a year, so even picking an approved color could delay your order.

If I've mis-represented the process, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will reply, but this is essentially how I've come to understand it from the reading I've been doing.

-nh4.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:00 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by nh4
I've been trying to get the details of the PTS process straight in my head as well. There are a few threads on the topic and I'd recommend reading through them. See the "Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You! " in the 991 section.

In short, my understanding is that if you want a color not on the approved list, you need to get a sample of it sprayed on a piece of sheet metal and send it to Porsche. Once they have it Porsche has a vetting process to see it the color passes their internal wear and fade tests. These tests can take up to 9 months.

In the case of wanting another manufacturers color, you'd probably need to get the match worked out with your local paint shop for the sample to send to Porsche. In the samples you send, I'd probably stick with just saying, "This is the color I want" rather than "This is a Ferrari Red from the 458"

There are versions of the approved color list in the thread I mentioned above. Another thing to note with PTS is it seems Porsche will stable all the PTS cars and then do them in batches a few times a year, so even picking an approved color could delay your order.

If I've mis-represented the process, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will reply, but this is essentially how I've come to understand it from the reading I've been doing.

-nh4.
You nailed it, brother!

To the OP, as nh4 explained so well, technically PAG will allowed you to order any color...subject to the fade test. In fact, there appears to be some PTS colors already approved that I have been told are taken from other manufactures' offerings (e.g. Ferrari). Others, like Lamborghini's 'Verdi Itaca', have also been rejected after testing. But there doesn't appear to be a bias to not accept a request for a PTS color just because it's associated with a 'competitor'.

In practice, I would not recommend using up your extremely rare MY2015 gt3 or RS allocation (assuming you have one!) to order ANYTHING other than an already approved 991 PTS color! There will not be time, given the limited production run of gt3's & RS's, to do fade tests. My bet is that PAG will actually tell you that - choose only from the approve list or don't bother - if you ask someone at PAG/PCNA in the know! My dos centavos...for what is worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Link below to the 991 'Custom Ordering' thread which surprisingly already surpasses 106,000 views!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

Plus most recent PTS list I know of:
Attached Images
Old 06-08-2014, 06:37 AM
sebearstian
Instructor

Any really good PTS ideas for this 991 GT3?
Old 06-08-2014, 07:53 AM
nh4
Instructor

Originally Posted by huracan
Any really good PTS ideas for this 991 GT3?
I think your best bet it to take the PDF Eduardo attached above and any colors that strike your fancy go to Google Images and do a search for:

Porsche "color"

For example, if you want to see Turkish Red

Porsche "Turkish Red" search gets you this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pors...ed%22&tbm=isch

It's a good starting point, but as you can see from the results, not perfect. What I've been looking for are photos of different light levels and different cars. I fully admit it's a bit OCD, but barring seeing the color in person, it's about the best thing I've come up with. You should also check here: http://www.elferclassic.de/technik/f...lack_weiss.php to get some idea of what a bunch of the colors look like.

I believe if you narrow it down to a final few options Porsche will do up samples for you on small pieces of sheet metal.

-nh4.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:11 AM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a thread on PH that has pics of many different color. I personally like the gray black but in the pics it looks close enough to Agate that I'd probably just get that instead of paying the extra $$$

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...Examples&mid=0
Old 06-08-2014, 11:40 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Name of this color?

Anyone know the name of this color?
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
Baby Diaper?
Old 06-08-2014, 11:48 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
? Guacamole vomit ?
Old 06-08-2014, 12:04 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys but Im not interested in anyone's opinion of the color, just looking to identify it...
Old 06-08-2014, 12:25 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
Thanks guys but Im not interested in anyone's opinion of the color, just looking to identify it...
You have a point, sorry. I'd wait to see what Eduardo says.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by GJ
Peridot from the Cayman R?
Old 06-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
Originally Posted by Cyrek
Baby Diaper?
Originally Posted by SamFromTX
? Guacamole vomit ?
Play nice, guys!

The answer to the question is...'chartreuse'. As always, photos do not often show the real hue of a color. You need to see it in person to truly judge. This particular 4.0 Limited Edition I believe belongs to Rennlist member 'Steven_H'. It is absolutely drop-dead gorgeous in person. 'Chartreuse' is a historic early 911 color. Some of the now iconic 1973 911 RS's were painted by the factory in this beautiful color!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images    
Old 06-08-2014, 12:42 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eduardo

I don't see chartreuse listed on your approved PTS list.

Am I just missing it?

BTW Thanks for answering!
Old 06-08-2014, 12:50 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lime Green Metallic?

Quick Reply: PTS Question...