Sponsored by:

G Forces

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Ah. I could have sworn I read some article or something that referenced it.

Chances are it was mistaken, I guess.
The manual does speak to the relationship between temperature and pressure and how the TPM race circuit mode is useful for monitoring pressure as the tires heat up, so maybe that's what the article you remember was referencing, but there is no actual tire temp function.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:30 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That would be nice, Tim, but no....
Mike, on my 997.2 targa 4s I can set the tpm to display actual psi at each
corner constantly as one is driving , is that not possible with is new car?
Old 05-25-2014, 11:34 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Guys I have a couple of questions for those who had the brief time with the car before the stop order
What's the deal with TPM, has a track mode feature? can you monitor psi as you are driving on the track?
And what about the electric parking brake ? does one have to manually turn a switch for it on?
I only have 5 plus months till I can find out for myself.
Yup, the TPM track mode feature lets you set and then monitor pressures on track that are different from the street pressure settings. Basically you adjust the tires to your desired pressure, enter it into the computer, and it's monitored from that baseline. Tire pressures are updated in the "Circuits" display every 5 seconds for 15 minutes.

The electric brake switch is a broad toggle switch at the lower left corner of the dash. You push it to set it. To release, you pull. Or if you are belted in, door closed, and with the engine on, when you press the throttle to drive off it releases automatically.
Well, yes and no for track TPMS. It will depend on how you handle track tire pressure. If you follow the recommended routine, which is drive with normal or near normal pressure then gradually bleed the pressures as the tires heat up, it will work fine. If you do what I do, which is to start with low pressures (18-20 psi), it won't work as track mode won't read if the pressures are below 26 PSI when you set track pressures. Once my tire temps and pressures come up to desired levels, I am already giving it my best and am unable to reset while driving. So that function, while really nice, doesn't work for me. I too read before the car was released that there was going to be tire temp readout but that proved to be a rumor.

The electric brake has a **** feature programmed into it. If you are driving real slow and for some reason, you open the door (say, to try and clear a tight obstacle), it will set and stop you cold. You may be able to manually disengage it then but it's a real pain feature.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:42 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Looks like I got Sam beat by a notch, particularly on braking. This is from my first time at Thunderhill:
I did get a fraction more lateral Gs that I never pictured. Your numbers are awesome but my braking Gs will never reach yours because I have a ton of negative camber, decreasing my braking ability. I'm good with that because I more than make up for it in corners. Those numbers for lateral Gs (1.1+G) are all greatly exaggerated, though, if compared to real measurements. They reflect occasional lateral slip from bumps and subsequent sudden grip.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:44 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
The electric brake has a **** feature programmed into it. If you are driving real slow and for some reason, you open the door (say, to try and clear a tight obstacle), it will set and stop you cold. You may be able to manually disengage it then but it's a real pain feature.
Is the electric e-brake actually a separate actuator and brake actuator or does it just override the brake system and apply pressure in the lines to the main rear brake calipers?

If the system is separate, I am sure it would be temporarily or permanently disabled.

Ryan
Old 05-25-2014, 11:47 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Sam, can one drop tire psi to 26 psi and have a read out of that before starting
a track session ( while tires are cold start of the day) head onto the track
leaving the TPMS display on will it continue to read out actual PSI as you go?
With mpsc's I ve found once they get north of 36 Psi they start getting greasy
optimum hot #"S 32-36psi
Old 05-25-2014, 11:49 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by reidry
Is the electric e-brake actually a separate actuator and brake actuator or does it just override the brake system and apply pressure in the lines to the main rear brake calipers?

If the system is separate, I am sure it would be temporarily or permanently disabled.

Ryan
I don't know the answer but I suspect it is not separate because when you apply the e-brake with your foot on the brake pedal, the pedal sinks noticeably.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:53 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Sam, can one drop tire psi to 26 psi and have a read out of that before starting
a track session ( while tires are cold start of the day) head onto the track
leaving the TPMS display on will it continue to read out actual PSI as you go?
With mpsc's I ve found once they get north of 36 Psi they start getting greasy
optimum hot #"S 32-36psi
Yes. If you start at 26 and apply track setting, it will read and update pressures as they change. Another reason I don't set track PSI readout is that I like to monitor coolant and oil temps instead. For me, I found 28F and 29-30R worked best but it will definitely depend on one's driving style and preference of tire feel.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:58 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Sam
thanks ,
On the electric parking brake is only engaged if you activate it ? In other words it doesn't engage on it's
own?
Old 05-26-2014, 12:10 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Sam
thanks ,
On the electric parking brake is only engaged if you activate it ? In other words it doesn't engage on it's
own?
Correct, UNLESS you open the door with the engine running and when stopped in any gear but P.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:15 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The manual does speak to the relationship between temperature and pressure and how the TPM race circuit mode is useful for monitoring pressure as the tires heat up, so maybe that's what the article you remember was referencing, but there is no actual tire temp function.
Ah--yes, that's likely it! Thanks, Mike.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:31 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Correct, UNLESS you open the door with the engine running and when stopped in any gear but P.
Thanks for the clarification , Maybe the e-parking brake has its own fuse
which one could pull to disable such a useful feature for track car, a thought.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:52 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm 99% certain that the electric emergency brake is a separate unit from the main service brakes. Tim has that great Technical Information book for the car. I'll bet it's shown in there....Tim?

Also, after reading about the pedal drop in Sam's car I went out, started mine up and tried releasing and setting the e-brake several times and could detect no change in the pedal position. I can't explain the discrepancy with what Sam experienced.

I've never tried the "****" feature, but one can't release the e-brake with the door open unless the service brake is depressed so the two are obviously related.

Mike, on my 997.2 targa 4s I can set the tpm to display actual psi at each
corner constantly as one is driving , is that not possible with is new car?
It is possible.

BTW: There is a separate fuse just for the e-brake button....
Old 05-26-2014, 12:58 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Oh, yes, that pisses me off so much on my Cayanne - paying at parking garage, if you take off seat belt and open door for more reach, parking brake engages without notification and does not disengage when you proceed driving. Made me look like a noob in front my parents - my dad reacted right away, "remember how I taught you to drive, maybe we need a refresher" This feature has no place in GT3.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:02 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

I did get a fraction more lateral Gs that I never pictured. Your numbers are awesome but my braking Gs will never reach yours because I have a ton of negative camber, decreasing my braking ability. I'm good with that because I more than make up for it in corners. Those numbers for lateral Gs (1.1+G) are all greatly exaggerated, though, if compared to real measurements. They reflect occasional lateral slip from bumps and subsequent sudden grip.
Yes, it's exaggerated, but not drastically. I was getting almost 1.5G sustained on another device. It's a combination of sticky tires, good suspecsion and favorable banking of turns. Banking does wonders for G forces (and makes by back sore afterwards).

Quick Reply: G Forces