39.22%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Keep the Car or opt for the Buy-Out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:05 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

If I had the car safely tucked away in my garage, all this time. Yes, I will keep it.

On the other hand if the car was rotting away in some port all these months, I am afraid not.

I don't have the car nor am I waiting for one, so I am not voting. I probably will be interested in a used one later on. But I will probably stay away from the cars stuck at the ports.

Last edited by sunnyr; 05-19-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

I hope they give u a detailed 100 page report on what happened with old engine. I know they said connecting rod bolt yada yada yada but since they reported they found the solution what caused the fire? Is it one bolt or many and with that new oil temp warning lite does that mean the fires that did occur on said 2 cars was it wasn't in operating temperature or it's just a precaution because they want to cover all bases for why it happened. Mike
Old 05-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

^^I bet the 100 page report would have a lot of blank pages!

It's pretty obvious. The bolt let go (faulty design, manufacturing failure, or both) causing the rod to go through the block spilling oil on the adjacent hot exhaust manifold. Result, fire. That's not my speculation, it's what they said specifically happened. I'm not sure why it matters which particular bolt on which particular rod failed; there are 12 identical bolts and only one has to be bad.

As has been pointed out by others, Porsche is obviously taking this opportunity to do other items on their upgrade list. The oil temp light, like the fender liners and software upgrades may be one of them. Given the high revving nature of the engine they may just want to be sure people aren't pegging the tach before the engine is ready. Not everything is a conspiracy....
Old 05-18-2014, 09:21 PM
MyenShi
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Not everything is a conspiracy....
People will find conspiracies if they want to find them. That's what the voices beamed into my head tell me, anyway.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:37 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P.J.S.
Con rod bolts that stay bolted is my guess
.... good one.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Fadi1
Pro

And I see dead people...
Old 05-18-2014, 10:50 PM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is still in Germany and likely will see it in October but more likely November. I have had numerous conversations with Joe Lawrence the COO of PNA, he listen's but has done ZERO. So don't tell us they listen, they don't and he admitted he can't do one thing with out Germany telling him what to do.

Dealer still can't get me a loaner due to PNA. Told me dealer if no loaner by this Thursday, I want my $10k deposit back that day and done with Porsche forever. This is no way to treat people. Most of you are still in love with Porsche and must appreciate being treated like crap. It really amazes me that all of you can part with $150k and get complete lack of service, silence treatment, mis information and be lied to yes I have been lied to by Tim Quinn. I have it in writing that he lied to me.

I am and have been a Ferrari fan, they only make 7,000 cars a year and are not even close to the arrogance of Porsche. I just placed my order for a 2015 F12 which I will see in September at the latest versus my order I placed in November of 2013 for the GT3 which will arrive a year later.

Anybody interested in buying my GT3?

It's been a real pain in the As……

Claudef2 I am with you all the way. Nobody should be treated like Porsche has treated these suposed "valuable customers" I hate to think how they treat the other 180,000 customers each year.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MyenShi
People will find conspiracies if they want to find them. That's what the voices beamed into my head tell me, anyway.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:51 AM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The validity of the poll results shown at the top of this thread is a bad joke.

I just did some research and can report that 9 of the 14 Rennlisters that voted to take the buyout have never posted a word on the 991 GT3 thread, other than some on this buyout poll thread. I think that it's fair to conclude that they don't have any skin in this game.

So, instead of 28/14 Keep/Buyout, how about 28/5 Keep/Buyout?

Without any effort at all I can name 6 others that I know are keepers, but they haven't bothered to vote. So, how about 34/5? Argue this as you may, but it's more accurate than 28/14.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Interesting board, and I hate to see the frustration with some soon to be owners. First post, and currently own a 2013 991S, and a 2013 M5. Just to make you all feel better when the M5 was launched BMW lost a couple engines to full failure due to faulty oil pumps. All the cars were recalled, and sat in the ports. I took delivery in Europe, and car was delayed had less than 500 autobahn miles.

This situation clearly reminds me of BMW communication was spotty with owners being provided different information love hate clearly. BMW provided compensation, and I know it was different for most owners. Key factors how well you bartered, were not threading, overly rude, customer length. I just said **** happens and they took care of me, and offered me first class tickets to my drive destination because I had trip planned in the M5

My local dealer just contacted me last month with a 2015 allocation GT3 September build, and yes I think this is the car build of the century. Hate to see anyone dump their orders, but remember it's a car and Porsche will stand behind the product. Only been with Porsche as I said for a year, and BMW since 99 and they all have issues. I do think Porsche is trying to do the right thing, but can't please everyone. Good luck guys.

My build
Metallic White
Full leather red stitching
Red gauges
Lift kit
Full LED's
That's the bulk of the fun stuff
Old 05-19-2014, 11:50 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
The validity of the poll results shown at the top of this thread is a bad joke.

I just did some research and can report that 9 of the 14 Rennlisters that voted to take the buyout have never posted a word on the 991 GT3 thread, other than some on this buyout poll thread. I think that it's fair to conclude that they don't have any skin in this game.

So, instead of 28/14 Keep/Buyout, how about 28/5 Keep/Buyout?

Without any effort at all I can name 6 others that I know are keepers, but they haven't bothered to vote. So, how about 34/5? Argue this as you may, but it's more accurate than 28/14.
Agree 100%

Quick Reply: Keep the Car or opt for the Buy-Out?