Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else offered a Turbo loaner for European delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone else offered a Turbo loaner for European delivery?

Our pick up date is the end of April and they are offering a turbo loaner instead so we don't have to cancel the trip. Anyone else thinking of doing this? Car completed production on March 3rd. Planned on spending a couple weeks there and might not have the opportunity to do this for a long long time again.

I think the trip would be 90% of the fun with the loaner but its really not the same as picking up your very own car. Haha I wonder if they will let you sit in your actual finished car and make engine noises? Maybe take your picture? Suppose you have to keep your sense of humor about all this but it still sucks.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:30 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Now that would be fun as hell. Easily 90% of the fun, hammer someone else's car.

How could that not be fun? Good for you. Enjoy!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:35 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 140 Posts

Wife and I did euro delivery in 2001 picking up our BMW. To this day we talk about the trip etc. and not the car. Go for it you won't regret it. And heck, it won't be too much of a burden driving the turbo.

Matt
Old 03-28-2014, 09:01 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They offered the same to me as well. Sure, the Turbo will be fun... BUT, I agree with you, it sort of "dilutes" the experience by not being able to pick up our own car at the factory, and experience it on European roads. I do think that they are doing a good job of being accommodating, and I doubt that I'll be disappointed with driving the Turbo, but gosh darn it, I still wish I were picking up my new GT3....
Old 03-28-2014, 11:23 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,095 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Would be fun to drive a Turbo on the Ring for a few days and return it after nearly expending the tires and brakes.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 AM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Getting a Turbo would be a ton of fun. You still get to do ED in a Porsche, and even better, you can drive it like a rental! Who offered the loaner, your dealer or PCNA?

I'm a bit surprised you got offered a loaner, cause when I asked, they said no - I should have been flying out to do ED tomorrow....
Old 03-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

I'm going with my Father and its a trip we have planned for a year and a half. Two weeks all over Europe with several scheduled stops to meet friends and a two day track event at the ring. The ring will happen regardless of what the fine print says on the loaner btw...

Just don't know when we will have another chance to do this again so we'll accept the turbo but won't be very happy about it. The car is sitting at the factory you think they could install an engine in the next month!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shizzle
Getting a Turbo would be a ton of fun. You still get to do ED in a Porsche, and even better, you can drive it like a rental! Who offered the loaner, your dealer or PCNA?

I'm a bit surprised you got offered a loaner, cause when I asked, they said no - I should have been flying out to do ED tomorrow....
PCNA told the dealer then PCNA called us directly
Old 03-28-2014, 01:48 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
I'm going with my Father and its a trip we have planned for a year and a half. Two weeks all over Europe with several scheduled stops to meet friends and a two day track event at the ring. The ring will happen regardless of what the fine print says on the loaner btw...

Just don't know when we will have another chance to do this again so we'll accept the turbo but won't be very happy about it. The car is sitting at the factory you think they could install an engine in the next month!
Do it! Will be just as fun. Your father may actually appreciate somewhat more comfort in the turbo, especially if you are planning long stretches of driving.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

In '84 a factory strike prevented me from collecting my new Carrera. Ended up renting a BMW 316i. Still had fun on the trip. The factory reopened a couple of days before we left. We returned for the tour and discovered my car had been built in the interim. To your question, they very kindly pulled it off the back lot for me and let me pose with/sit in it. Of course it didn't have engine issues.

Take the Turbo. It will be fun and on the plus side you won't have to worry about parking your new baby in the cities or what have you. Have a great trip!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Having done ED with an M3, I would say being provided a Turbo instead of your M3 would be 110% of the fun! Not worrying about YOUR brand new car parked on narrow European streets, in tight car parks, whether or not throwing the break-in recommendations out the window will result in headaches later on, owning a car in transit for two months, mandatory drilling of the front bumper for ED plates - not to mention, a Turbo will be faster and more comfortable everywhere outside of the Nurburgring. I would say you hit the jackpot - consider how much it would cost to rent a Turbo for the duration of your trip, AND you will have a pristine new GT3 at home.

Yeah, you will not have the bonding experience with your GT3 in its native land, and seeing that Autobahn permit sticker in the windshield for the next few years was cool, but having a Turbo at your disposal in Europe is a different sort of priceless.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Just Jordan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat as the OP. My dealer said he would try to get me a turbo but at the very least I'd get a 911. I was just happy we didn't have to postpone our April 17th ED. The fact that you are getting a turbo for sure, bodes well for me so that is good news. And like others have said not having to stress about the car the whole trip is a bonus and the turbo will be a more comfortable whip to spend a couple weeks in. Im also thinking there might be a small chance that they can ship my GT3 sooner then they would have had i been driving it until the 10th of may? Unlikely but still possible.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:44 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
Our pick up date is the end of April and they are offering a turbo loaner instead so we don't have to cancel the trip. Anyone else thinking of doing this? Car completed production on March 3rd. Planned on spending a couple weeks there and might not have the opportunity to do this for a long long time again.

I think the trip would be 90% of the fun with the loaner but its really not the same as picking up your very own car. Haha I wonder if they will let you sit in your actual finished car and make engine noises? Maybe take your picture? Suppose you have to keep your sense of humor about all this but it still sucks.
Did you already pay for your GT3? That might be why your getting the loaner. I asked and they have not responded. Mine was a May 16 EU pick up so I haven't paid for my car yet. I have a tentative new EU pick up of Sept 12.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:07 PM
Just Jordan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
Did you already pay for your GT3? That might be why your getting the loaner. I asked and they have not responded. Mine was a May 16 EU pick up so I haven't paid for my car yet. I have a tentative new EU pick up of Sept 12.
I have not yet paid for my GT3 yet other then the deposit, so i don't think that should effect it.

Quick Reply: Anyone else offered a Turbo loaner for European delivery?