Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owners who took delivery

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 01:12 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^Again, totally agree Frayed. A fellow car nut told me to uninstall the RL app and have the discipline to only check once a day online. I failed miserably.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:22 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
^^Again, totally agree Frayed. A fellow car nut told me to uninstall the RL app and have the discipline to only check once a day online. I failed miserably.
yeah. we both suck at this. LOL
Old 03-12-2014, 01:28 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I've taken a huge step back and looked at the situation a bit more holistically. From my vantage point, age, net worth, job demands, kids' ages, other toys to play with, and potential downside of a 2014 'tainted' GT3, I am leaning to take the risk of ownership to get my car. To me, while under warranty, the only tangible risk is high depreciation. I'll take that risk b/c I don't think it will happen, depending on the nature of the problem and the nature of the fix.
There wont be any high depreciation.

A 200k turbo s is immediately worth 25k less...what do you think a 150k gt3 will be worth in 6 mo? And how would it be any different/worse?
Old 03-12-2014, 01:42 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by lumber
There wont be any high depreciation.

A 200k turbo s is immediately worth 25k less...what do you think a 150k gt3 will be worth in 6 mo? And how would it be any different/worse?
I had always read that depreciation Turbos have historically been much higher than on GT3s, which tend to hold their values, despite what residuals one would see on a lease agreement. Perhaps someone can post data on 997 GT3 v. Turbo residuals. . . I'm not up to speed on the numbers.

But that's not really my point. To me the risk is a more significant hit to 2014 GT3s v. 2015 GT3s. (again, assuming most of the 14's require engine replacement v. 15s that have the new powerplant)
Old 03-12-2014, 01:47 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 470 Posts

If Porsche delays the 2015 MY, the 14s would be in a slightly better position vs if they bring out the 15s in late august/early September...if the 15s come out regular time...it really sucks for the people with 14s truth be told...my sad self included haha. We won't have had our car for 3 months!
Old 03-12-2014, 02:14 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

"But that's not really my point. To me the risk is a more significant hit to 2014 GT3s v. 2015 GT3s. (again, assuming most of the 14's require engine replacement v. 15s that have the new powerplant"

I'm on your team.

I think we're talking a "who really cares" amount of money in the end. There aren't enough cars that will even be available to make this an issue...
Old 03-12-2014, 05:21 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by lumber

I think we're talking a "who really cares" amount of money in the end. There aren't enough cars that will even be available to make this an issue...
My thought as well. Though the naysayers here act like an engine swap is the same as finding out that their new bride really wasn't a virgin.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Just curious, to those committed for the long haul, how long are you willing to wait for your new engine?

One month? Two months? Three months? Until the 2015 are out?

Last edited by Bluehinder; 03-12-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Just curious, to those committed for the long haul, how long are you willing to wait for your new engine?

One month? Two months? Three months? Until the 2015 are out?
For my part, there are simply too many variables at this point to do anything but wait and see; one can go crazy trying to sort out all the possibilities. I heard a rumor today that there is still a possibility that while all cars will be evaluated only some may need engine replacements. Is the replacement rumor even true? If it is, how will the engines be rolled out; existing owners first, then people with cars waiting on docks, then future production? What will compensation be? Will there be a warranty extension? How long would I wait is a perfectly legitimate question, but it's so far down the list of unknowns that it's just one factor too many for me personally to contemplate at this point!

I love the car. It's the most entertaining, exciting car I've ever driven. It was just about to get broken in and I couldn't wait for my first autocross. Moreover, while it's true that there are other options out there, after driving it I simply can't think of another car within a $100K of it in price that I'd even consider owning, much less rather have.

So maybe I have an answer to the question after all. Since I'm not worried about selling the car for any foreseeable future, and the car is already in my garage, I suppose I'm in it for as long as it takes. I just hope Porsche does the right thing and makes me whole.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 86 Posts

One thing Porsche can do at least for those with cars built but not delivered is to offer a very attractive leasing program. Make the residuals high enough so that depreciation would not be an issue.

FWIW, the more I think about the depreciation issue the less concern I have. This car will be in demand whenever any one of us want to sell it. A new engine will not be an impediment to resale. I will take the position that the new engine makes the car better especially if it has an extended warranty.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:16 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

^ this car is not going to lose its a$$. It can't. It doesn't cost enough money to begin with.

It's barely more then a loaded c2s. So nothing has changed in that regard, it's still one of the best buys out there.

If Porsche were to bail on the car/owners then that would change everything. And it would still be worth .75 on the dollar. But that isn't likely.

The depreciation is a non factor. A timely repair has me worried more than anything...
Old 03-12-2014, 09:16 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Man. I can't wait for this car. Or, more accurately, I CAN wait for it. It'll be worth it.

Quick Reply: Owners who took delivery