Sponsored by:

Owners who took delivery

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:39 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Owners who took delivery

It's been noted that among the most ardent supporters of the car are those who have had the benefit of actually driving it!

As far as I can tell, from posts as well as several different PM convos offline, all with real world and track mileage are going to wait for the fix. No one is "happy," of course--BUT the car is worth the wait. That's what I gather.

But, in case I'm overlooking silent parties, I wanted to know if there is anyone out there who has had the opportunity to take delivery and really rack up some miles who (at this point--pending a possible lengthy fix...) disagrees and plans on walking.

Just curious. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:54 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
It's been noted that among the most ardent supporters of the car are those who have had the benefit of actually driving it!

As far as I can tell, from posts as well as several different PM convos offline, all with real world and track mileage are going to wait for the fix. No one is "happy," of course--BUT the car is worth the wait. That's what I gather.

But, in case I'm overlooking silent parties, I wanted to know if there is anyone out there who has had the opportunity to take delivery and really rack up some miles who (at this point--pending a possible lengthy fix...) disagrees and plans on walking.

Just curious. Thanks.
I have had my car since the middle of January and have 1,400 miles on mine. I love it and they will have to take it from my cold, dead hands. Greatest car I have ever owned, and I have had a lot of cars, and a lot of Porsches. I have driven the 458 Italia, Spider, MP412C all over many days (friend has a great car collection and likes to share his cars) and they all pale in comparison, to me. This car just exceeds any and every expectation I have had. A friend of mine sells Ferrari's for a living, and the day after I got my car, I swung by his showroom so he could see the GT3. He drove it and said he just can't understand spending double that amount on a Ferrari. I was shocked he said that...but not really. He had a smile on his face for the next 20 minutes while driving it pretty hard. This car is really something special.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:01 PM
0Q991
Drifting

^^Haha. Thanks @JCBH! I was trying to see if there were any dissenting opinions!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:02 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

^^Haha. Thanks @JCBH! I was trying to see if there were any dissenting opinions!
Yeah, but I have been pretty quiet just waiting for Porsche to finalize what they are doing...but I remain undaunted. I look at it every day as I walk by it to get in my other car...it is now just a piece of art, versus art that you can drive!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:26 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Honestly, unless they tell me the fix is voodoo or that it involves fortifying engine internals that were accidentally made from chocolate, I'm going to hang in there and wait. I was just curious if anyone got to taste the forbidden fruit and still wanted to exit stage left. So far, that does not seem to be the case.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Honestly, unless they tell me the fix is voodoo or that it involves fortifying engine internals that were accidentally made from chocolate, I'm going to hang in there and wait. I was just curious if anyone got to taste the forbidden fruit and still wanted to exit stage left. So far, that does not seem to be the case.
fast and very very tasty!

maybe they used Heineken as engine coolant after all it "refreshes the parts other beers cant reach..."
Old 03-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Claudef2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am keeping my options open.

I took delivery January 18 and I put a little over 1500 miles on it before the dreaded email arrived. So it has been 3 weeks. If the car is fixed in 30 days or so, I will be happy to keep driving it. If it drags into May/June I am thinking of returning it under the lemon laws (California).

The big huge problem is what to buy instead? Certainly not a Porsche if I return this one. Jaguar F type R? Audi R8? They look pretty good, but I am worried about performance and handling compared to a GT3.

I wish I had kept my 2007. . .
Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious. Thanks.
Sorry, 0Q991, I have also driven the 991 GT3 and cannot give you a dissenting opinion.

My first 911 of four that I have owned was a 1969 911S. I gave driven many 911s since those days, such as my current DD, a manual 911 GTS, and manual 996 and 997 GT3s, and 997 Cup cars. I was a workaholic for most of my life so I only started tracking two years ago, and now have 80 days of HPDE.

I did a European Delivery in January and drove the GT3 only 500 miles because of a limited stay, but I can say that hands down, the 991 GT3 is the best car that I have ever driven. No way that I going to give up that car simple because it has a new engine and new mounting bolts!

Also, something that bothers me is all of the whining about the lack of a manual, and the whining about the so called god-awful RWS. I am 66 years old, and have been driving manuals almost exclusively for 50 years. I like manuals, and am good at heel-and-toe, thank you. But let me tell you, the PDK-S on the 991 GT3 does NOT take away from the driving experience. It is a blast, especially as wedded to the 991 GT3 engine! The PDK-S is so tight and so quick, you will not miss that clutch pedal if you try it. Don't tell me otherwise if you haven't driven it.

As for the RWS, give me a break. You are still driving the car, you are still telling it where to go, it's just BETTER at doing it. What is wrong with that? If you want a go kart, that's OK. But don't knock advances that improve a car's handling ability.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:34 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

And here we go again to the Manual/PDK thing. Forget it,I say...it's dead and buried. We get it : you all know and driven manuals for many years and enjoy PDK now. That's ok. I apologize for preferring a manual. It's life...
News flash : you got bigger problems right now!
Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I'm getting rid of mine. Terrible company and horrible PR. How dare they do this to me?

Um, heck no, that was a joke. Best car I ever drove. New engine? Cool. The current engine has dust on it in places I can't reach to get it cleaned, so a new one is the cheapest way to get those areas to look new again.

Once you drive this car to 9K, there is no going back. You'll see.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:09 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCBH
I have had my car since the middle of January and have 1,400 miles on mine. I love it and they will have to take it from my cold, dead hands. Greatest car I have ever owned, and I have had a lot of cars, and a lot of Porsches. I have driven the 458 Italia, Spider, MP412C all over many days (friend has a great car collection and likes to share his cars) and they all pale in comparison, to me. This car just exceeds any and every expectation I have had. A friend of mine sells Ferrari's for a living, and the day after I got my car, I swung by his showroom so he could see the GT3. He drove it and said he just can't understand spending double that amount on a Ferrari. I was shocked he said that...but not really. He had a smile on his face for the next 20 minutes while driving it pretty hard. This car is really something special.
I confirm.

I got my car the day after JCBH. This is my first performance car other then an M5, & HP Road Racing Bikes.. but I know a good thing when I see it. NO WAY, NO HOW IS IT GOING. It's simply off the charts to drive, not to mention the attention it gets.. and I've only done 7k RPM. -- Glad others have noted how it compares to more pricy cars, but thats just icing on the cake.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Mercel
Advanced

I've not driven a 991 GT3 but the 997 GT3 manual was pretty awesome. Do 991 GT3 owners use the paddles exclusively or as an automatic?
Old 03-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Its great to hear how much everyone loves the car who has driven it a thousand miles.

Makes it easier for those of us waiting and trying to decide what to do about our orders. Mine was halfway through production when the stop sale came down.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:34 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

M5 followed by M3 with Dinan upgrades .... GT3 is another class of car. Took delivery early January. But 3rd worst winter in eastern PA since 1947 prevented more than 231 miles on car for me, before "do not drive" request.

Accepting new engine IF Porsche AG describes fault(s) and fixes in detail ... so to be reasonably certain about the recall necessity and future for this engine. I'm thoroughly peeved with PR ... have to be made whole.

What PAG says/does this week will be crucial to keeping me from considering used 12C OR 997.2. My 991 RS allocation is another option, should a 2015MY car be best approach.

The ride and handling is astonishing ... first car I've had that I felt addicted to ... difficult NOT to drive. This is very challenging situation.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:37 AM
TomTom77
Racer

I'm probably one of the few that plans on walking, but that has nothing to do with the current issues.

I thought I had it all figured out. I would take delivery of my GT3 in August or September 2013 and drive it until my long awaited 458 Speciale would arrive somewhere in Q1 2014. At that time, I'd sell my GT3 (simply I'm not doing enough fun-miles to justify keeping both, next to the 1M) and order an RS, just in case my first Ferrari wouldn't turn out as special(e) as I expected it to be.

Reality: the GT3 didn't arrive until February, only 1 week prior to the 458 Speciale delivery. So rather than racking up a couple of (running-in) miles on the Porsche, I decided that I'd keep the Fiat and sell the GT3 straight away. Why? Because owning and driving a Ferrari (hard!) was an itch that needed to be scratched, because I was pretty sure the Speciale would be epic and also because of the dreadful experience with the Porsche dealer throughout the process, which was a bitter contrast with the great treatment at the Ferrari dealer.

Funny side story: my Porsche dealer got very upset with me when they found that I tried to sell my car (above sticker, if I could) and took me off the list for the RS. When I told them that the only reason that I was selling the car directly was because they delivered it 6 months late, I got no answer. And when I explained that if I would have driven the GT3 for 6 months as planned, sold it myself (at whichever price) and ordered the RS, they would have loved me... no answer again. I guess Porsche ownership in Dubai is just not meant to be for me, which is very sad, because I do like their (sport) cars!

When the stop-sale was announced, my car wasn't sold yet. So now I own a car that I cannot sell, drive nor even look at and no outlook on a quick resolution. Which is a bit annoying, but hey, you win some, you lose some! I'll see what happens, because unlike the USA, I don't expect the local dealer to allow people to give their cars back. Unless it's part of a global blanket package out of PAG, maybe?

The good news: the 458 Speciale is indeed epic: very hard-core and pure. Probably even more so than my old 997.1 GT3 RS. I've got my first track-day this weekend, I cannot wait!

Quick Reply: Owners who took delivery