Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Configurator Changes - ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 06:16 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

And these delays in MY2015 gt3 production, if indeed they are to start in September of 2014, also go against the grain of their 'just-in-time' logistics scheduling which is arranged months in advance so that each vehicle has the parts necessary to successfully complete its build.
Interesting factoid from factory tour: any delays on production line trigger notification of manager after 10 minutes, the board after 30 minutes, and suppliers after an hour. So likely suppliers stopped "just on time just in sequence" deliveries very early on. Why the delays? Speculating the engines are being produced slower than we expect (that part is known) for reasons perhaps relating to downstream logistics at port, dealers etc. my dealer still thinks i will have one of the earliest canadian 2015s with august production. But i find august hard to believe given factory is indeed on vacation break in august this year included. No gt3s on the production line when i was at factory on monday (only engines) so perhaps no new cars until sept is not unrealistic given generally slow expected deliveries of engines for cat B cars. But who knows. Just my $0.02.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Yes, that is what I have read too. I posted in Rennteam (a Euro-centric Porsche website) to see if anyone in Europe was scheduled to get a MY2015 in June, July or August. And so far, no was has responded. That is rather odd. Not even the always communicative 'RC' (Christian - the Rennteam's administrator) has chimed in on the subject!

Does it? I would think that PAG would not upset the delivery plans of their June, July and August MY2015 gt3 customers (especially its European orders placed long time ago) given that the driving season (for both highway & race track events) is limited by the northern latitudes to just a few months!

For PAG to intentionally delay production & deliveries of MY2015 gt3's into the Fall of 2014 so as to not further upset their already pissed-off MY2014 gt3 customers makes NO SENSE at all! If these delays continue, both for the engine installs on MY2014's and new production of MY2015's, Porsche will force their 991 gt3 customers to essentially 'write-off' the entire track calendar year of 2014...that is unconscionable for a sport car company with a legion of track enthusiasts that depend on Porsches for their hobby. That is the reason these customers ordered these expensive cars and they have a right to be very disappointed with these additional delays...assuming the engines problem have been already corrected! So why the delays now?

And these delays in MY2015 gt3 production, if indeed they are to start in September of 2014, also go against the grain of their 'just-in-time' logistics scheduling which is arranged months in advance so that each vehicle has the parts necessary to successfully complete its build. Did PAG ever planned to build MY2015 gt3's at all (before the stop sale)? Where orders ever taken (by PAG) & production scheduled (by PAG) for June, July & August of 2014 before the stop sale? If not, why not?

Something else is at work here that is responsible for these MY2015 991 gt3 delays. We will find out exactly what in due course. But I am concerned that it involves something 'technical' and they are still worried about 'reliability'.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
I have no doubt the 2014s' owners will do the R&D for Porsche regarding the replacement engines. Porsche did not have time to do a thorough testing of the new engine. However, I don't believe that is the cause of Porsche delaying the 2015 to the fall of 2014. Once the stop sale was ordered on 02/05/14 and lifted around the end of April, Porsche was facing a major backlog of cars and engines. There just wasn't enough time to catch up with the 2014s' and build 2015s'.

Your point regarding track season is valid but carries as much weight with Porsche as ordering PTS.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something else is at work here that is responsible for these MY2015 991 gt3 delays. We will find out exactly what in due course. But I am concerned that it involves something 'technical' and they are still worried about 'reliability'.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
So....Porsche is not concerned about the reliability of the 785 2014 GT3's that they are putting brand new engines in? If the 2014's break again, don't you think that will cause the 2015 buyers to back out before taking delivery? For all practical purposes the cars are identical. If Porsche doesn't get the 2014's correct they jeopardize the sale of the 2015's as well.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:34 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
So....Porsche is not concerned about the reliability of the 785 2014 GT3's that they are putting brand new engines in? If the 2014's break again, don't you think that will cause the 2015 buyers to back out before taking delivery? For all practical purposes the cars are identical. If Porsche doesn't get the 2014's correct they jeopardize the sale of the 2015's as well.
No, that is not my point. Just the opposite. They are overly concerned with the reliability of their engines. Just read this part of Steve Sutcliffe's Autocar report posted in the last few days. It is talking specifically about the motor on the upcoming '15 991 gt3 RS, but there is not that much different between the N/A engine originally designed for that model and the one currently on the '14 991 gt3!

"Porsche engineers are understood to be concerned at the prospect of trying to reliably extract enough extra power from the naturally aspirated engine to warrant an RS badge."

http://m.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-...ext-911-gt3-rs

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 05-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Porsche engineers are understood to be concerned at the prospect of trying to reliably extract enough extra power from the naturally aspirated engine to warrant an RS badge."

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
So, we GT3 buyers are getting the most powerful NA 3.8L engine that Porsche can reliably produce? I'm OK with that.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:55 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

removed

Last edited by mcsmcs1; 05-30-2014 at 08:57 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 05-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

No, that is not my point. Just the opposite. They are overly concerned with the reliability of their engines. Just read this part of Steve Sutcliffe's Autocar report posted in the last few days. It is talking specifically about the motor on the upcoming '15 991 gt3 RS, but there is not that much different between the N/A engine originally designed for that model and the one currently on the '14 991 gt3!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Hard to say about Sutcliffe's comment. I mean, either Porsche engineers are concerned or they aren't. "Understood to be concerned" may be a turn of a phrase but to me it sounds like the language one uses when one is merely speculating.

But let's assume he's on to something. How much more power is required for the RS is very relevant. 475HP (AP has said it's closer to 500) from a NA 3.8L 6 cylinder revving to 9K is already pretty impressive. Getting another 20-30HP might be easy but that probably doesn't justify the predicted $50K price differential to the RS. IMHO at least another 50HP is required to make the RS worth the extra cost and getting close to 550 street legal HP from the NA 9A1 GT3 motor will be more difficult.

My point is that we shouldn't jump to conclusions about the viability of the engine in the 991 GT3 just because it may not have quite enough headroom for the purposes of a pumped up RS. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 05-30-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-31-2014, 01:26 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Hard to say about Sutcliffe's comment. I mean, either Porsche engineers are concerned or they aren't. "Understood to be concerned" may be a turn of a phrase but to me it sounds like the language one uses when one is merely speculating. But let's assume he's on to something. How much more power is required for the RS is very relevant. 475HP (AP has said it's closer to 500) from a NA 3.8L 6 cylinder revving to 9K is already pretty impressive. Getting another 20-30HP might be easy but that probably doesn't justify the predicted $50K price differential to the RS. IMHO at least another 50HP is required to make the RS worth the extra cost and getting close to 550 street legal HP from the NA 9A1 GT3 motor will be more difficult. My point is that we shouldn't jump to conclusions about the viability of the engine in the 991 GT3 just because it may not have quite enough headroom for the purposes of a pumped up RS. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Perhaps we also need to remember that it was only a bolt that was defective at this time. Indeed, the impact was a complete meltdown of the cars involved but I'd like to think that this was a relatively simple fix compared to, say, chronic electrical gremlins or mechanical failure of the block.

I remember reading that one of the Mezger's challenge in order to keep up w/ the HP war raging on was displacement. Hence, a 50 HP boost with a bore increase to 4.0 doesn't seem out of reach.

More importantly, given the development cycle, I have a hard time understanding how they could flip from NA to TT in less than a year while finding a way to keep the nature of the GT cars intact... It seems too much of a shift, even if you start e/ the TT engine. Everything else has to change!

If it goes TT, I may bail on my RS; the sound; the redline; the free revving; etc. the TTS is fun but not my cup of tea on a track...
Old 05-31-2014, 02:48 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by alaint101
Perhaps we also need to remember that it was only a bolt that was defective at this time. Indeed, the impact was a complete meltdown of the cars involved but I'd like to think that this was a relatively simple fix compared to, say, chronic electrical gremlins or mechanical failure of the block.

I remember reading that one of the Mezger's challenge in order to keep up w/ the HP war raging on was displacement. Hence, a 50 HP boost with a bore increase to 4.0 doesn't seem out of reach.

More importantly, given the development cycle, I have a hard time understanding how they could flip from NA to TT in less than a year while finding a way to keep the nature of the GT cars intact... It seems too much of a shift, even if you start e/ the TT engine. Everything else has to change!

If it goes TT, I may bail on my RS; the sound; the redline; the free revving; etc. the TTS is fun but not my cup of tea on a track...
Good points, especially the fact that we're talking about failure of a single component due to production or installation tolerances, not a failure of the overall design. All the more reason to take Sutcliffe's comment about Porsche's concern with a grain of salt. And regardless of what the solution is for the RS, it doesn't automatically follow that the 9A1 motor is overstressed at 475-500 HP in the GT3.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy the Sport Bucket seats somewhere outside the US and have them imported. Are they in the Canadian Configurator?
Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Just buy the Sport Bucket seats somewhere outside the US and have them imported. Are they in the Canadian Configurator?
No, the sports buckets are not in the Canadian configurator. I spoke to my dealer about importing and installing the sports buckets and they said that they would not do it because of liability issues since as of now these seats are not approved for North America.

Quick Reply: Configurator Changes - ???