Sponsored by:

Deadline for Porsche:Thursday March 6th 2014

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 01:05 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deadline for Porsche:Thursday March 6th 2014

The Geneva auto show opens on Thursday March 6th, 6 days from now.

We get to see what the GT3RS is, probably.

As we've heard nothing for over a week since Porsche asked everyone to stop driving the 991GT3, there is a line in the sand for March 5th ahead of the show. Hard to see how Porsche can go into the show with such a shadow over what should be its halo moment with the new RS launch.

March 6th is also the opening of the new resurfaced and modified Virginia international raceway. Six foot of track added in places, will be quite a different lap if the added Tarmac is in the right places. I'm signed up for the 6th and 7th. Hoping the 991GT3 gathering dust in my garage will be signed off as fit to go in time. Just bought new tires for the m5 daily driver just in case it has to double as the temporary track machine. Doubt Porsche will cover those tires even though they aren't strictly needed yet, but will be after a day on track.

All indications were that by today Friday we would hear something have blown out.

Oh and I had a call at 6am west coast time on Tuesday, from Porsche cars North America, while I was in LA. Just missed answering the call, hoped it was the all clear message! Wrong. Have a great voicemail that says something like "Hi, this is so and so from Porsche, just calling to see how you are enjoying your new GT3...call 1-800PORSCHE". So I did call, and the person I spoke to said sorry, we don't have a record of calling you and no new news. Left hand meet right hand, this adds insult to injury. Maybe Porsche will go the way of BP following their handling of the disaster in the Gulf of Mexico at this rate. I hope not, but silence in public relations during times of crisis management isn't the best strategy. Simply reporting were working on it , stay with us....is better than total stonewall silence. Dealers know nothing, Porsche NA know nothing or that's what they say we you call and its a unprecedented request from a manufacturer to stop driving their 140k+ car when they are no more than a few weeks old in the USA. Class actions and litigation on this will run and run, time elapsed will invariably amplify proceedings.

So, line in the sand for March 5th.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:24 AM
mhh
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I think press and trade days are March 4 and 5 so it's safe to say your deadline won't be achieved.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:09 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basis the various rumour mills. - aka forum - I'd put the chance of the RS being presented at Geneva at sub 10%.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:18 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

No chance on the RS if Porsche's own press release in advance of Geneva is to be believed. They will be featuring the 919 LeMans car, the RSR, the Macan S diesel, and the Targa...

But I agree that with the questions that are bound to come from the press, they must have some answers on the GT3.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:48 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully they're going to make a smokin' hot reveal.

I'll show myself out.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
No chance on the RS if Porsche's own press release in advance of Geneva is to be believed. They will be featuring the 919 LeMans car, the RSR, the Macan S diesel, and the Targa...

But I agree that with the questions that are bound to come from the press, they must have some answers on the GT3.
From what I recall, the 991 GT3 was not on the initial press release for Geneva in 2013 either. There is an interview somewhere by Porsche stating the RS will follow the GT3 in 6 to 9 months from the GT3 showing which already puts the RS 3 months behind at minimum. I don't think the RS has ever lagged the GT3 model by this much time before. Given the fiasco with the 991 GT3, I wouldn't be surprised if the RS were not shown until the fall.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:12 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Lol, at this point, the RS isn't lagging behind the unusable parked GT3s...they will probably be "out" at the same time!

le'sigh.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:10 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Press days, press releases, presenting new cars...all good stuff but bottom line seems something has to be said early next week and that was my point. It is inconceivable that Porsche will attempt to survive the Geneva show without making a public statement or comment.

This whole debacle, which may well not be their making given supply chain issues we've with other manufacturers in the past, is casting a huge shadow over their entire range.

Irony for me is that my deadline as to whether my GT3 or M5 gets to play at VIR lines up with Porsche exhibiting at the Geneva show. Already made my contingency plans for one of my two days with the M5 which has cost me new tires earlier than necessary.

In public relations I'd always been taught communicate early communicate often, especially at times of crisis. In today's world the social universe can help or crucify. The tone on rennlist alone is shifting from good call glad they had the courage to pull the car to frustration, predict eventually it becomes a backlash and legal discussion.

Hope we see some news over the next few days.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
From what I recall, the 991 GT3 was not on the initial press release for Geneva in 2013 either. There is an interview somewhere by Porsche stating the RS will follow the GT3 in 6 to 9 months from the GT3 showing which already puts the RS 3 months behind at minimum. I don't think the RS has ever lagged the GT3 model by this much time before. Given the fiasco with the 991 GT3, I wouldn't be surprised if the RS were not shown until the fall.
Jon, I'm quite sure that Porsche did release details of the 991 GT3 and announced that it would be at Geneva in advance of the show in 2013, as reported here in Autoweek:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...neva/130309935

As for the eventual timing of the RS, who knows.....
Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

FWIW, I read on another Board that the Porsche CEO will be addressing the press on the GT3 issue at the Geneva Show.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:47 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They probably will repeat the same line as the customer service agent said, engine problem we are looking into it. Production delayed.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:54 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
They probably will repeat the same line as the customer service agent said, engine problem we are looking into it. Production delayed.
Those are my feelings. Porsche would not be stupid enough to share findings with the press before they share with us.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Jon, I'm quite sure that Porsche did release details of the 991 GT3 and announced that it would be at Geneva in advance of the show in 2013, as reported here in Autoweek:

Yes that is correct. However, I do not think Porsche released any details of the GT3 until just prior to the show as the article is dated 3/4/13. I don't recall Porsche announcing the car would be there in advance of a few days. Contrast this with the targa which was known to be released in Detroit months before the show. Therefore, although no RS details have been made official, I would think Geneva would be the place to display it. As you suggest, the timing of the RS is up in the air, possibly due to the issues with the GT3 not yet being resolved.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by FLM911
Already made my contingency plans for one of my two days with the M5 which has cost me new tires earlier than necessary.
Rent a Cup then send PCNA the bill.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

duplicate

Quick Reply: Deadline for Porsche:Thursday March 6th 2014