Sponsored by:

991 GT3 owners that had a 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Serge944, you seem to have some good info on the part applications. This excerpt from the Porsche information intrigues me: "The new 911 GT3-specific central lock....." I wonder if this means that the CL's available on the new TT are still the old design?
Good catch. Yes, the 991 TT uses the old design:
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2014, 05:26 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FLM911
Evolution of the CL design is inevitable, later versions should be better. Doing right by their customers...if you mean introducing a new service schedule late in the 997.2 lifecycle for CL maintenance which personally cost me over 6.5k. And then making it a little bit better in the 991. Real solution is to drop CL...Think how many people here would tick the 5 lug box if it were optional versus CL when buying the car? Changing wheels would be a fraction of the time as well and believe me I've got it down to a fine art swapping wheels at the track with CL, huge torque wrench, truck brake depressor....
FLM, agree 100%... What I meant was that on the 997.2 it was obviously a poor engineering design and furthermore the fix/solution they gave as was equally poor... Porsche keep on passing the buck to suppliers for failures but here's a perfect example whereby THEY f@#ked up, failed to identify during their "squillions" of kms of testing and we the customers got the rough end of the pineapple with their solution and subsequent maintenance schedule. My experiences with Porsche doing right by customers is what has me concerned about what the 991 guys are going through now. I'd take 5 lugs in a heartbeat... CLs are a disaster on so many levels...
Old 03-02-2014, 06:54 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Serge and Mike, thanks for the info. When it says the carrier bolts are now fixed to the hub instead of the brake chamber, what does that mean? The 5 red drive pins bolt to the hub now and not to the brake hat?
About the new wheel bearing, it's better for marketing to say that it comes from the Cup.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I can't make a comparison personally, but this has a bit more specific information:

Central locking

The central locking on the new 911 GT3 is a completely new development
with higher load limits and improved suitability for track use. The new
911 GT3-specific central lock is identified by a more robust wheel hub for a
significantly improved camber stability and carrier bolts that are now fixed to
the wheel hub (997 GT3 ll: fastened to the brake chamber)

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 owners that had a 997.2 GT3