Sponsored by:

All GT3's recalled

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:53 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Guilty! It turned out that Lambo had worse transmissions than the 996Turbo, and I've never seen a Ferrari make it through an entire day at the track. So I went with the 996GT3. That car was ok. But those front air dams had to be replaced every 6 weeks or so and I scraped every piece of pavement in La Jolla. Went on to the 997GT3, which fixed most of the issues with the 996GT3.

I need to look at the GTR. The 991GT3 clutch issue may be the last straw. The GT3 is no longer a car for people that, like, actually drive.

I assume in a few months they will fix the spontaneous combustion issue. But the ongoing PR disaster will be amusing. And, I suspect, Porsche will handle it poorly. The post in the other thread that added the phrase 'you will be compensated' to the letter from Porsche had me howling in laughter. THAT doesn't sound like the Porsche I've been familiar with the last 15 years.
LOL. It's great to hear you taking it all in stride! :reckon:

I was actually stating in another thread my surprise at how many people are surprised about these quality issues. People seem to quickly forget about IMS, centerlock hub, coolant hose, and all these other issues that crop up with pretty much every new iteration of the 911!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by A432
It may not be the thermostat, but there is a strong likelihood that it is.
Many of the newer DFI engines have had this issue, mine included, where
the warning comes from a disagreement between what the temp. is and should be.
The thermostat fails open and shows temperature at the low limit.
Thanks for the different perspective. I hope igirl follows up with what caused the problem.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:12 PM
mike_la_jolla
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sidicks
Absolute rubbish, as just about every journalist and owner can testify.

But you believe that if it makes you feel better about yourself.
Well then, let's quote somebody by the name of Walter Rohrl if your are going to get snippy: PH meets WR . Because that is EXACTLY what he says. I assume his opinion rates higher than mine? Or would you insult him also?

And who cares what 'journalists' have to say? Not a single one of them can actually afford cars we are talking about. Any a few have integrity issues. Would you like a list?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 405 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Well then, let's quote somebody by the name of Walter Rohrl if your are going to get snippy: PH meets WR . Because that is EXACTLY what he says. I assume his opinion rates higher than mine? Or would you insult him also?

And who cares what 'journalists' have to say? Not a single one of them can actually afford cars we are talking about. Any a few have integrity issues. Would you like a list?
Really? Who cares. You don't like it, don't get the car, but don't belittle people who buy it and maybe can't effectively drive a manual - through no fault of their own. My left leg wouldn't be able to handle the clutch while driving hard and/or on a track. I have a plate and screws in it. However I can drive the new GT3 and enjoy it. And drive it I will!
Old 02-23-2014, 03:11 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question: are you living under a French rock? If not, why are you still driving your car, knowing Porsche has told us all not to do so?

Originally Posted by igirl
This error message happened today...
Bad coincidence?

Attachment 809050
Old 02-23-2014, 03:31 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
Question: are you living under a French rock? I
good one..

Yes.. I know it's hard.. but please dont' drive.. Think worse case scenario.. 'exhibit 1 - Do NOT DRIVE MEMO... -- might get off with temporary insanity defense. --- cause not driving a GT3 you paid for has been known to cause this.. Ha Ha..
Old 02-23-2014, 08:19 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This fire situation with the gt3 looks worse/more serious than any of the ferrari or lambo ones.

I don't recall either of them having a stop sale, let alone a stop drive - correct me if I'm wrong though.

Regardless this is really bad for the perfect Germans - and no matter how quickly it is resolved it should not be happening with a car that the manufacturer is asking you to pay such a high premium for.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:15 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sam, the conversation that I had related to people who had paid cash for their cars like I did, as opposed to those who had leases or had financed, where it would be easy to determine loss of use valuation. I was told that while it was premature to get into specifics, compensation was definitely something that would be discussed if this drags on and cash buyers would likely be given the equivalent of finance payments for the lost time.

As to your situation with a missed event, I imagine it's something that could be negotiated but I didn't ask about that.
Originally Posted by Nick
Sam, my advice is to keep records and documentation. To what extent they pay for financial losses will vary. Generally speaking in Porsche purchase agreements or warranty they often indicate they will not pay for consequential damages. It all depends on how far Porsche wants to enhance customer relations.
Thanks, was just curious. I'm unlikely to pursue either more than simply mentioning it to the dealer.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:17 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
good one..

might get off with temporary insanity defense. --- cause not driving a GT3 you paid for has been known to cause this.. Ha Ha..
LMAO. Would be a good gesture for PAG to send gift certificate to all GT3 owners effected to see a psychologist.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:20 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

When my 458 was recalled for the adhesive issue the dealer told me to not drive it and Ferrari sent a flatbed.

I don't think there was stop sale because they had already identified the source of the problem when they issued recall.

The irony of course is that at that time there was much laughter and hand wringing from my fellow Porsche owners about the incident. It didn't affect my enjoyment of the car or the residuals for that matter. I imagine it will be similar for GT3 if it gets sorted out fast.

Hope the situation gets resolved quickly for you all.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:40 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
This fire situation with the gt3 looks worse/more serious than any of the ferrari or lambo ones.
Yes and no. More 458s caught fire before action was taken (at least 10) Only 2-5 gt3s have caught fire before porsche put a stop to it.

On the other hand the 458 issue was easier to fix, just a wheel arch adhesive issue, not an engine matter.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:44 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTom77
If not, why are you still driving your car, knowing Porsche has told us all not to do so?
I take it this instruction from porsche does not bode well for the sale of your gt3.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:48 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
When my 458 was recalled for the adhesive issue the dealer told me to not drive it and Ferrari sent a flatbed.

I don't think there was stop sale because they had already identified the source of the problem when they issued recall.

The irony of course is that at that time there was much laughter and hand wringing from my fellow Porsche owners about the incident. It didn't affect my enjoyment of the car or the residuals for that matter. I imagine it will be similar for GT3 if it gets sorted out fast.

Hope the situation gets resolved quickly for you all.
Good point. The usual suspects are the ones that can't have these car's for one reason or another. I have never figured out why someone that's not interested in a certain car comes to the forum and day after day post negative comments. I just don't get it.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:02 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^Human nature. I think everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions, of course! But, at the same time, there is a group of folks who took offense to Porsche's design choices with the 991 GT3 (PDK, etc.). I can understand why they would feel "angry" with Porsche. What's frustrating is that some posters have decided to go one step further and lash out at those of us who have decided that we like what the 991 GT3 has to offer--with a litany of derisive terms (poseurs, etc.).

That said, we are all entitled to our opinions, so time to turn a deaf ear.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:57 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^
The emotion of pleasure-in-others'-misfortune (Schadenfreude in German).

What ever.. gawkers at traffic accident... Why does no-one care about summiting K2 or Everest until there is a tragic accident.. Probably an annoying after effect of something hard-wired into our evolutionary survival software for cave man days, but just not needed anymore .. Haaaa Haaaa..

Like,now that i have a GT3 my buddy has to get a McLaren.. ---Good for him.. at least he has positive energy vs.laughing at my flame thrower. (And Plus I'll still smoke him cause he can't drive worth a piece)

Quick Reply: All GT3's recalled