Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 991 GT3 Wrecked In UK With Only 80 Miles On The Clock

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey wouldn't this make a good start of another conspiracy theory thread? Oh, looks like Manifold may have beat me, and Nick is present too LOL ;-P

The guy and his 4 year old daughter walked out of this without a scratch.

Is the sky a different colour in my world or is this not a good outcome? Before anyone starts to crap on about the handling of the GT3 in the wet or otherwise go see my Youtube videos most of them taken in low temps on cold surfaces often damp and wet. The car is awesome in the wet and dry and speculation otherwise is simply that - BS speculation by folks that have not driven the car.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:40 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Sorry it will. Happened to me. All I did was give it some gas and it instantly spun going in a straight line with MS cups in heavy rain.
I did that once with my old 67 Camaro with a posi rear end. Gassed it a bit in the rain and instantly was going backwards. Had to cut my mullet after that one.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Sorry it will. Happened to me. All I did was give it some gas and it instantly spun going in a straight line with MS cups in heavy rain.
I wonder if this response is amplified at all by the electronic LSD? With a mechanical LSD that is locked going straight, I can imagine a little tail wag but not a spin when going straight.

Maybe the e-LSD was unlocked in this condition and just one wheel spun instead of 2 with a standard LSD (causing a yaw)?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:50 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I wonder if this response is amplified at all by the electronic LSD? With a mechanical LSD that is locked going straight, I can imagine a little tail wag but not a spin when going straight.

Maybe the e-LSD was unlocked in this condition and just one wheel spun instead of 2 with a standard LSD (causing a yaw)?
I have to clarify when I did it. It wasn't the 991 GT3 it was in a 997.1 RS. It has always made me think and replay what happened. I wonder if one rear hydro-planed while the other one had grip. I don't think I will ever know but it sure does suck.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hey wouldn't this make a good start of another conspiracy theory thread? Oh, looks like Manifold may have beat me, and Nick is present too LOL ;-P

The guy and his 4 year old daughter walked out of this without a scratch.

Is the sky a different colour in my world or is this not a good outcome? Before anyone starts to crap on about the handling of the GT3 in the wet or otherwise go see my Youtube videos most of them taken in low temps on cold surfaces often damp and wet. The car is awesome in the wet and dry and speculation otherwise is simply that - BS speculation by folks that have not driven the car.
Macca, we are defending the car. I think you have become a little too sensitive and see nothing but negativity in post that falls short of building a shrine of the 991GT3. You need to loosen your butt cheeks and relax.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:53 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can claim a wet road was present during this accident by the picture but at 50mph...this? The only excuse could be hydro planing caused the car to lose control but even then at 50 it's not hard to control react and make correction.

Unless there is a defect with the RWS!!!!!! Sorry that was a troll.

The a**hole was definitely speeding beyond his limits and lost control. Just sayin.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The guy had an accident in the wet with his brand new GT3. Driver input error? Theres nothing more here. Its not the first 991 GT3 that has been written off in Europe. I know of three. Its what happens when you give a new owner a 500 bhp RWD car in what has been a very lousy European winter (in the UK & the north). Remember for some this is their first 911.

Nick, good point, I have become over sensitive to conspiracy theorists, trolls, itallian & german rogue posters, inaccurate statement and simple lack of facts on this board hence my very occasional posts these days....you might also note I was the one who posted the pictures on the Pistonheads 991 GT3 main board yesterday with comments from the driver. I followed the owners delivery - he was a regular follower of my Europe tour posts on that board.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Tyres with 80 miles on them arent even scrubbed in yet...
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

I have to clarify when I did it. It wasn't the 991 GT3 it was in a 997.1 RS. It has always made me think and replay what happened. I wonder if one rear hydro-planed while the other one had grip. I don't think I will ever know but it sure does suck.
Actually, that happens sometimes at Mosport when the track was just getting wet or drying up, or at least happened before they removed concrete patches. Try accelerating or braking with one side of the car on concrete and one on asphalt, and it may spin in an instant because of drastic difference in traction each side would get. BUT that requires braking or accelerating at a significant rate in rather specific conditions.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

My favorite line from the original blogosphere post: "Many are bursting into flames without explanation....." Really?

Unfamiliar car, new un-scrubbed dry weather tires on wet roads (doing 50 in a 60 because of nasty conditions?), 475 HP, stuff can happen; glad no one was hurt.

Went for a nice brisk drive this AM, car ran great, think I'll find an excuse to go out again....
Old 02-19-2014, 08:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Ok, guess no reason to point blame at the LSD then. This has never happened to me in my 911 with Guard mechanical LSD - but then my car has significantly less torque. But even in heavy standing water at the track with the back end 45 degrees sideways, it was always predicable and controllable...
Old 02-19-2014, 08:38 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Ok, guess no reason to point blame at the LSD then.
electric LSD, could have locked the mechanical one.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:47 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

There must be more to this story...
Something else happened that caused this...
I am not blaming the driver without proof but I can't blame Porsche either. This is the same manufacturer that's brought us some great cars,I simply refuse to believe they've built such a defective car that just spins out of control for no reason.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The guy had an accident in the wet with his brand new GT3. Driver input error? Theres nothing more here. Its not the first 991 GT3 that has been written off in Europe. I know of three. Its what happens when you give a new owner a 500 bhp RWD car in what has been a very lousy European winter (in the UK & the north). Remember for some this is their first 911.

Nick, good point, I have become over sensitive to conspiracy theorists, trolls, itallian & german rogue posters, inaccurate statement and simple lack of facts on this board hence my very occasional posts these days....you might also note I was the one who posted the pictures on the Pistonheads 991 GT3 main board yesterday with comments from the driver. I followed the owners delivery - he was a regular follower of my Europe tour posts on that board.
Sadly, that is the nature of blogs. We all know that but we still participate. Your contributions are too important for you to excuse yourself from participating. Just turn a blind eye to the post you dislike. Do not allow them to drive you away.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

call me a troll, but I think something totally different happened. Remember, this is a European car! I think the bolt holding the oil cooler bracket probably broke, snapping the oil lines, spilling oil on the tire. As a result, the car spun and before it could light on fire, the truck in the other lane smacked the engine out of the car, preventing it from burning to the ground!

Last edited by shizzle; 02-19-2014 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche 991 GT3 Wrecked In UK With Only 80 Miles On The Clock