Sponsored by:

Another track video and tire status update

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:13 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Yeah, a calibrated internal accelerometer on the solo will be your most accurate read. I don't know if there is a linear discrepancy between actual and calculated Gs. However, like the accelerometer in the GT3 and on the Solo, you cannot go off of peak Gs. There will be spikes in lateral Gs depending on whether you are hitting a bank or a dip at the apex of a corner. The apex of turn 6 at Laguna will read crazy high Gs because of the dip you fall into. The peak spikes are not valuable data points on the car's capabilities. You need to read sustained peak Gs as you're going through a flat, sweeping turn to get a real idea of what kind of Gs the car is capable of. You can read off of the graphs on race studio, but I find it difficult to read off the graphs because of all of the noise/variation. The easiest way is to do a video overlay and watch the G meter as you go through the turn. Once you know what the peaks are, you can see if you left any time on the table through the turns if you don't hit those peaks.

When I get my GT3 this summer, I'll post videos like this:
Thanks, makes sense. Great driving and still a great track. Being an orthopod, I suspect you have insurance on your hands. I wonder if that is covered on track???
Old 02-16-2014, 10:23 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Thanks, that would be awesome because I never thought I could do that with the GoPro. Feel free to give him my contact info. Also, since I'm a Mac user, it's a pain to get the AIM data and its becoming an expensive lap timer. Speaking of G-forces, the car (like the other 991 variants is a bit too generous in it's G reads. In the other two cars, I would get 1.48 G as max but the AIM would read 1.3 (trail breaking). I am yet to review my actual Gs and compare them to those from yesterday:
I've got pretty much the same numbers on the car except for braking - seems you are easy on the brakes :-). FWIW Harry's lap timer on accelerometer was showing 1.5G+ at times too.

Last edited by MaxLTV; 05-25-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Thanks, makes sense. Great driving and still a great track. Being an orthopod, I suspect you have insurance on your hands. I wonder if that is covered on track???
LOL. According to my agent, I am covered. You gotta live life, though. I remember a spine surgeon I worked with once that refused to cut his own steak and would make his wife do it for him.....
Old 02-16-2014, 10:32 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 600 Posts

Cool set up! I've just realized I was using your 2:04 Thunderhill lap video to prepare for my last track day.

Which track days would you recommend? I only tried Hooked on Driving so far - they are ok but not much track time in a day.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Cool set up! I've just realized I was using your 2:04 Thunderhill lap video to prepare for my last track day. Which track days would you recommend? I only tried Hooked on Driving so far - they are ok but not much track time in a day.
No way! Lol, thanks! I run with HOD, NCRC, and TMR. I think TMR gets you the most track time, whereas NCRC is the cheapest but the most standing around time between sessions. I'll be out with hod on 3/21 at MRLS and 5/9 at Thill. Maybe I'll see you there? Bensf is the guy that runs 2:02 on nt01s over the top at thill and 1:59 with hankooks z215s on a boxster spyder. I can't wait to see him in a 991gt3 to see what he can do with it.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:58 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, a calibrated internal accelerometer ...
Great Video. I love Data Ack, but new to cars.
So it looks like you guys are using something like the AIM Sports which connects to the CAN to get the engine data.. -- Awesome.. http://www.aimsports.com/products/mxl-chooser.html
Hope they have a 991 GT3 module soon.
-For a bike I have a bmw race factory product which connects to the ECU and gives ~ 30 data points from GPS as well as ECU. (TSC/Wheel Spin, Brrake %, Throttle, ABS, Lean Angle via GPS.. i know.. , Scatter Graph w/ g forces etc.), lap overlays w/ google earth etc. Here is a pict from a track session.
-- Is there anything for the GT3 like this that don't cost over ~3-5k or what do you recommend. -- e.g. AIM?
--I'm working with DashWare, but RaceRender looks pretty good too.
-Lacking any natural ability, I've found this to be the most effective tool for increasing lap times.
Thx..
Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
Great Video. I love Data Ack, but new to cars.
So it looks like you guys are using something like the AIM Sports which connects to the CAN to get the engine data.. -- Awesome.. http://www.aimsports.com/products/mxl-chooser.html
Hope they have a 991 GT3 module soon.
There was a thread here not too long ago that confirmed that the regular 991 CAN protocol is compatible with the 991 GT3 ECU, so you should be ready to go already!
http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...11_100_eng.pdf

-For a bike I have a bmw race factory product which connects to the ECU and gives ~ 30 data points from GPS as well as ECU. (TSC/Wheel Spin, Brrake %, Throttle, ABS, Lean Angle via GPS.. i know.. , Scatter Graph w/ g forces etc.), lap overlays w/ google earth etc. Here is a pict from a track session.
-- Is there anything for the GT3 like this that don't cost over ~3-5k or what do you recommend. -- e.g. AIM?
Yup! AiM Solo DL is what you are looking for. If you want seamless and easy video overlay, look at adding the AiM smartycam HD. It's the easiest way to get good data overlay (I don't count HLT because I find it unreliable and dislike interpolated data points). Be warned, though, the video quality is not nearly as good as gopro and the audio is HORRIBLE.

--I'm working with DashWare, but RaceRender looks pretty good too.
I think dashware has better looking gauges whereas race render's are kind of 'low rent'. However, I think race render's software is more powerful. I'm a fan of trackvision, personally.

-Lacking any natural ability, I've found this to be the most effective tool for increasing lap times.
Thx..
Totally with you there. I think it really helped with my lap times. It takes some work to fully understand how to use racestudio2. However, once you do, it's awesome.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch all of your video, Sam. Holy crap, you and the car are hauling ***!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:05 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

orthojoe, great driving. Was that the standard exhaust sound on your Spyder?
Get a HANS and tighten up your harness.

SamFromTX, you're too fast for white run group -- should move up to black.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:09 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
orthojoe, great driving. Was that the standard exhaust sound on your Spyder?
Get a HANS and tighten up your harness.
Thanks! Remus exhaust. External mic clipped behind the rear license plate gives it the great sound. Was planning on getting a HANS, but now I can't run a harness with the cruddy seats that come with the GT3.

SamFromTX, you're too fast for white run group -- should move up to black.
No kidding!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:12 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally with you there. I think it really helped with my lap times. It takes some work to fully understand how to use racestudio2. However, once you do, it's awesome.
-Great, thx for pointing this out. Saves time.
Ok. so racestudio2 is equivalent to the 2D analysis sw I got re-banded by BMW. Excellent. This is where you make the magic happen. -- Yes steep learning curve, but once you get it, --Awesome.
(I know the drill for me anyways.. e.g. superimpose fast & slow laps and spend couple hour working backwards thru the turns, looking at all the data to usually find it it all related to something like a bad turn in point. In Slow, Out Fast LOL)
e.g. http://2d-datarecording.com/produkte/software
Old 02-17-2014, 12:19 AM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam, Many Thanks for your set-up data. Allan
Old 02-17-2014, 12:25 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Was planning on getting a HANS, but now I can't run a harness with the cruddy seats that come with the GT3.
I would have got the hans before making any other mod/upgrade. If you plan to keep/track the Spyder, get the hans regardless of which seats are in the GT3. Looking forward to your comparison between the two.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:38 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
I would have got the hans before making any other mod/upgrade. If you plan to keep/track the Spyder, get the hans regardless of which seats are in the GT3. Looking forward to your comparison between the two.
Keeping the spyder, so will do on both counts!

Can I just go on record saying that it warms my heart to finally see some real track discussion in the 991 GT3 sub forum?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:36 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can I just go on record saying that it warms my heart to finally see some real track discussion in the 991 GT3 sub forum?
+1

Quick Reply: Another track video and tire status update