Sponsored by:

Another track video and tire status update

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 08:30 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovman
Thanks for the report and also posting the video. Nice driving. Interesting to hear that the fronts are wearing considerably as well. Are the tires u were running OEM? I suspect so as I think the OEM tires are the only sets available? I may be wrong here...
Yes, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2. DOT R tires, the other comparable option is the Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R. Not sure what happened to the Dunlop Sport Race Max tires, haven't seen any new car come with them.

Originally Posted by Nick
Nice piece of driving! Anyone challenge you and if so what type of car?

Love the track! Allows for speed with wide open bailout areas.

No, no one did. That is why I love this track, safety. I don't have a 6 point restraint or Hans and I drive this car back and forth to track, so chances of major damage is lower than average. The fact that the runoffs are aplenty makes pushing the envelop easier.
Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27
What a machine. Great drive and video. Share your gopro settings!
GoPro3 black, 30 fps, medium view (not wide), 7 MP, "dot" ON (filming from inside).

Originally Posted by shizzle
LOL. Every GT3 report should begin this way!

Do you recall what tire pressures you were running when hot? I can't wait to try out the PSC2.

28F and 29 R.
Originally Posted by Nizer
There's the config I know and like. Nice driving. How are you feeling about Ricochet?
That is the one corner that RWS definitely shows when compared to my C4S, it was very noticeable in the TTS as well. I thing RWS is not all or none but rather progressive. I further think it activates not just based on speed and steering wheel orientation but on throttle input as well. For example, when I take Ricochet with caution and hence less aggressive throttle input (because I literally did experience ricochet there in the C4S), my exit speed at the end of the curbing is 96-98. My max in the C4S was 94 (tire difference). Now, if I feel ballsy and have full throttle at apex, the car will tuck in nicely and exit speed at same point climbs to 102 and it causes an immediate release of endorphins!! Trouble is, I don't always feel that way in this corner.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:32 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Wow! Wish there were so few cars at the DE days I frequent.

Pretty awesome that you were passing EVERYONE!
It was somewhat unusual. This was the first session of the weekend and we only had 8-10 cars in the white group. Later on, there where more cars as drivers where getting check rides and instructors where showing students the line.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:34 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Great driving, Sam, and awesome lap time! You are booking out there. I'm surprised how potent the "base" 991 GT3 is turning out to be with 475hp. Very capable car and obviously good driver make for a strong combo!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Also, if you're interested, I have a buddy who lives near you that could overlay your Solo DL data onto your video. He's done a few of my fast lap vids recently and it's a lot of fun to see speed/rpm/lateral g/ longitudinal g, etc overlaid on the video.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quikag
Also, if you're interested, I have a buddy who lives near you that could overlay your Solo DL data onto your video. He's done a few of my fast lap vids recently and it's a lot of fun to see speed/rpm/lateral g/ longitudinal g, etc overlaid on the video.
Thanks, that would be awesome because I never thought I could do that with the GoPro. Feel free to give him my contact info. Also, since I'm a Mac user, it's a pain to get the AIM data and its becoming an expensive lap timer. Speaking of G-forces, the car (like the other 991 variants is a bit too generous in it's G reads. In the other two cars, I would get 1.48 G as max but the AIM would read 1.3 (trail breaking). I am yet to review my actual Gs and compare them to those from yesterday:
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2014, 08:58 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
Excellent, and nice driving. thx for posting. Sounds like the tires last long time. Hear you or some yell Tires in the video. Guess you could feel them wearing.. I imagine there up to Heat after 1 lap... -I'm coming from bikes and on a Liter bike i have to change the Rear after a full day. Fronts about 2.
That is when the tires got greasy, with reduced traction. It happened towards the end, so perhaps after 17-18 mins. Short track with tight corners so may behave better on other tracks. It took two laps to get them to temp but it was in the low 40s.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sam nice driving!
Thanks for posting your comments & the video, it's nice to hear positive news from owners as the reduced performance issues & cars burning overshadow how good the car really is & how limited these issues are.

And it sounds amazing!
Keep on tracking.....
Old 02-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

PM sent. I'll get him your contact info. You'll LOVE the data overlays with your videos. I can't watch my old videos now without data overlays.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:06 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Thanks, that would be awesome because I never thought I could do that with the GoPro. Feel free to give him my contact info. Also, since I'm a Mac user, it's a pain to get the AIM data and its becoming an expensive lap timer. Speaking of G-forces, the car (like the other 991 variants is a bit too generous in it's G reads. In the other two cars, I would get 1.48 G as max but the AIM would read 1.3 (trail breaking). I am yet to review my actual Gs and compare them to those from yesterday:
-- Now I get it with the g-forces. I get a scatter graph of g-forces from data ack on my Bike..and correlate it w/ fast laps. shows brake, and lateral acceleration g's Sweet. (btw, u might already know, but I use a Mac, and use VM Ware to run Windows as a virtual machine and get all my data loaded at the track).
Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
-- Now I get it with the g-forces. I get a scatter graph of g-forces from data ack on my Bike..and correlate it w/ fast laps. shows brake, and lateral acceleration g's Sweet. (btw, u might already know, but I use a Mac, and use VM Ware to run Windows as a virtual machine and get all my data loaded at the track).
Thanks. I've been using Parallel software but it has a bug and the PC font becomes incredibly small. I tried to adjust the settings but it's still a pain. And now it forgot my license number so I'm kinda giving up on it.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Also, since I'm a Mac user, it's a pain to get the AIM data and its becoming an expensive lap timer. Speaking of G-forces, the car (like the other 991 variants is a bit too generous in it's G reads. In the other two cars, I would get 1.48 G as max but the AIM would read 1.3 (trail breaking). I am yet to review my actual Gs and compare them to those from yesterday:
A couple of things you may or may not know about the AiM unit:

1) The Solo offers 2 G force type of readings: GPS based, and internal accelerometer based.
2) If you read G forces off of GPS based calculations, it is NOT accurate
3) The internal accelerometer on the Solo unit is very accurate and reads up to a rate of 100Hz. HOWEVER, this accelerometer MUST be re calibrated every time the solo mount is moved. If you use the suction cup mount, that means you cannot move that mount, otherwise the accelerometer must be recalibrated again. In order to calibrate, you have to mount, connect your laptop to the solo while mounted, and use the calibration function off of race studio. I have no idea why AiM won't program the Solo to calibrate on it's own without the use of race studio. They keep on saying they will do this, but haven't.

BTW, my buddies who have the Solo and use a mac that want to do video overlay are using race render because they offer a native mac version of their software. They seem to like it. I've got a pc and use trackvision.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam, Are you still at 3.5f, 2.5r camber? 30/30 hot tire pressures? Moved sway bars any? Thanks for the video - VERY impressive. Allan
Old 02-16-2014, 09:38 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by orthojoe
A couple of things you may or may not know about the AiM unit:

1) The Solo offers 2 G force type of readings: GPS based, and internal accelerometer based.
2) If you read G forces off of GPS based calculations, it is NOT accurate
3) The internal accelerometer on the Solo unit is very accurate and reads up to a rate of 100Hz. HOWEVER, this accelerometer MUST be re calibrated every time the solo mount is moved. If you use the suction cup mount, that means you cannot move that mount, otherwise the accelerometer must be recalibrated again. In order to calibrate, you have to mount, connect your laptop to the solo while mounted, and use the calibration function off of race studio. I have no idea why AiM won't program the Solo to calibrate on it's own without the use of race studio. They keep on saying they will do this, but haven't.

BTW, my buddies who have the Solo and use a mac that want to do video overlay are using race render because they offer a native mac version of their software. They seem to like it. I've got a pc and use trackvision.

I did not know that about the actual G force measurements. I have been getting the GPS ones. So between those and the absurdly generous reads from the car, I now have no idea what G forces are being generated. Do you know if there is a percentage discrepancy or is it an inconsistent variability between GPS and actual measurements? Thanks for the info and I will research race render.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by allans
Sam, Are you still at 3.5f, 2.5r camber? 30/30 hot tire pressures? Moved sway bars any? Thanks for the video - VERY impressive. Allan
-3.1 F, -2.5 R. Had to replace stock control arm bushing because the car does not have caster adjustment. The rears are wearing a lot on the outside but I won't increase negative camber there as the understeer will increase. 28/29 hot pressures seem to work well but I'm still playing with them. If I ever get to it, I'll use the pyrometer. Front sways at softest setting and rears at firmest.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I did not know that about the actual G force measurements. I have been getting the GPS ones. So between those and the absurdly generous reads from the car, I now have no idea what G forces are being generated. Do you know if there is a percentage discrepancy or is it an inconsistent variability between GPS and actual measurements? Thanks for the info and I will research race render.
Yeah, a calibrated internal accelerometer on the solo will be your most accurate read. I don't know if there is a linear discrepancy between actual and calculated Gs. However, like the accelerometer in the GT3 and on the Solo, you cannot go off of peak Gs. There will be spikes in lateral Gs depending on whether you are hitting a bank or a dip at the apex of a corner. The apex of turn 6 at Laguna will read crazy high Gs because of the dip you fall into. The peak spikes are not valuable data points on the car's capabilities. You need to read sustained peak Gs as you're going through a flat, sweeping turn to get a real idea of what kind of Gs the car is capable of. You can read off of the graphs on race studio, but I find it difficult to read off the graphs because of all of the noise/variation. The easiest way is to do a video overlay and watch the G meter as you go through the turn. Once you know what the peaks are, you can see if you left any time on the table through the turns if you don't hit those peaks.

When I get my GT3 this summer, I'll post videos like this:

Quick Reply: Another track video and tire status update