Sponsored by:

I am not a mechanic nor mechanically inclined

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:01 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts
Default I am not a mechanic nor mechanically inclined

but I wonder what many of you would do if you were told that your new car once delivered to the dealer need the engine removed to replace a part.

Would you take the car after the repair? To what extent does the engine removal compromise the car? How would that affect resale?

I suppose one could negotiate for an extended warranty which is transferable but somehow at least to me the car is no longer new and damaged.

Not sure what to make of this.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:03 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

I wouldn't mind. Wont keep the car much past the warranty, if at all, and it wont affect the performance. If it causes major issues you lemon law it and move on.

Not to mention, other than info from a few very informed members, every last bit of this is speculation.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I want to be prepared for the worst should it come to pass. I don't want to be standing in the service center with my thumb in my mouth trying to figure out what I should do.

Hopefully this is all for naught but I will be prepared.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

Dropping an engine is nothing to worry about.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In my case at this stage with all these rumors all I can do is to wait and see and then decide. Maybe we are all wrong and it's a simple fix. We should know the next few days. Based on what Sam posted the dealers don't even have any info yet. So have to wait and see. Crossing my fingers.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

It's all speculation and all of this angst may be completely unwarranted . And even if they have to drop the engine, it's not the end of the world. A competent mechanic, who knows what he's about, is capable of doing this perfectly, and is likely to just as careful if not more so than they were at the factory.

If they told me tomorrow they had to do this to my car, I wouldn't be pleased at the inconvenience, but it would have no effect on my feelings about keeping it. My 0.02c....
The following users liked this post:
josephvman (03-03-2021)
Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have no problem accepting the car. Remember that these are trained Porsche technicians doing the work not some fly by night mechanic...I have a friend who was a Porsche technician and he was always been sent on courses to keep up to date with the latest cars and such...

Old 02-13-2014, 09:24 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to have the rear main seal replaced, under warranty, on my '05 C2S. I had the work done at a dealership that had a mechanic who was Porsche trained, and knew what he was doing. That was 7 years ago. Never had any issues, and don't feel that it had any bearing on the car's value... I really don't think it would be a problem.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:39 PM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

I say don't buy something you can't handle breaking. Relax and be patient and the issue will be made clear. No doubt there will be something else that may need resolution given the new model issues but no point in freaking out about every uncertainty. One can't prepare if one doesn't know the facts.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:39 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Goodness, I feel I started a rumor. In regards to the issue at hand, there is only one FACT: no one outside of Porsche and its intimate circle knows what is really the matter with the stop sale issue. That said, I have no issues with an engine being taken in and out for a fix.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Nick, these sports cars are made to be beaten on and a lot of parts are going to be replaced. Dropping the engine is no small task but I assure you that loosening a few bolts and tightening them will not effect the CHI (flow) of the engine. I will look forward to getting my car and if they decide to drop my engine, I'll be pissed only because of the inconvenience.
I will definitely will take delivery.

Its not a big issue for me. My previous sport cars prepped me well. (including vettes)
Old 02-13-2014, 11:43 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not happy about the drama (which is self-inflicted!)...but I'm still excited to take delivery. Just hoping for a solution to whatever the issue is to be put into action sooner than later.

I want this car!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:27 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Having an engine R&Red is not a big deal - at all. In my country, we have a saying for something like this: don't make an elephant out of a fly.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:45 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Really not a big deal. On some mid-engine sports cars, you need to drop the engine to do most anything.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:47 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,976 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
but I wonder what many of you would do if you were told that your new car once delivered to the dealer need the engine removed to replace a part.

Would you take the car after the repair? To what extent does the engine removal compromise the car? How would that affect resale?

I suppose one could negotiate for an extended warranty which is transferable but somehow at least to me the car is no longer new and damaged.

Not sure what to make of this.
Nick - 911 engines and gearboxes are easily removed and replaced with no loss of integrity. You should watch it being done - it was designed to be done cleanly and quickly. It is very common.

Quick Reply: I am not a mechanic nor mechanically inclined