Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCBs replaced...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Ychaudhary
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hate to be a thread jacker, but am I the only one who has the standard brakes (Red brakes) versus the ceramics (Yellow brakes) and they squeal at any stop? I mean I know that I was going to get a little brake squeal but this is to the point of people getting scared when I stop next to them it is so loud. I have tracked the car twice now and am wondering what it could possibly be, because I didn't expect it to be this loud. Any other takers for the extreme brake squeal.

PS Just for reference I power washed my brakes about a week ago to get all brake dust out to see if that was the issue, but it barely helped.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:22 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well, its possible the pads have glazed over.
Time for some PFC's
Old 02-24-2014, 06:09 PM
lumber
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Theyre replacing the rotors...because they can?

I have no idea, and actually requested that they leave them alone but they are insisting they need to be replaced.

Problem is, the parts are backordered, and even if the stop sell goes away, my car will still be waiting for brake parts??
Old 02-24-2014, 07:32 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps its a liability issue.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:54 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ychaudhary
Hate to be a thread jacker, but am I the only one who has the standard brakes (Red brakes) versus the ceramics (Yellow brakes) and they squeal at any stop? I mean I know that I was going to get a little brake squeal but this is to the point of people getting scared when I stop next to them it is so loud. I have tracked the car twice now and am wondering what it could possibly be, because I didn't expect it to be this loud. Any other takers for the extreme brake squeal.

PS Just for reference I power washed my brakes about a week ago to get all brake dust out to see if that was the issue, but it barely helped.
I think it is because the GT3 pads are made of track ready material, because mine squeal too. Stock pads on the C4S were silent but melted onto my rotors with aggressive use, requiring rotor replacement. Pagid Yellow pads withstood abuse but squeaked like hell.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 PM
Leilani Rios
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the standard red brakes and it also makes noise when i come to a stop. I haven't tracked it or done anything crazy in it. I do have over 2600 miles on them.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,965 Likes on 916 Posts

Excessive squeaking usually signifies glazing.. How did you break them in?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:09 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Excessive squeaking usually signifies glazing..
Not with aggressive track pads. They will squeal on the street and shed more dust.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^^^ When in Europe I also noticed my pads (steel discs) squealed a little, but it was a good thing as it was a sign I needed to wash my car. Once the wheels and car were washed the squealing went away for a little while. I attributed the squeal to brake dust but as Sam and others have said i suspect the compound is more track then road ready (as it says in the manual).
Old 02-25-2014, 12:26 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

I don't know about track pad compound...both my 996TT and 997GTS steel brakes squeal after a hard drive where the brakes have been used extensively.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:49 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I think it is because the GT3 pads are made of track ready material, because mine squeal too. Stock pads on the C4S were silent but melted onto my rotors with aggressive use, requiring rotor replacement. Pagid Yellow pads withstood abuse but squeaked like hell.
Mine squeal very little. The sound actually got quieter and less frequent after two track days. BTW, on M3 aftermarket Alcons with track-specific pagid pads do not squeal at all, while stock brakes with the same pads were unbearable. So it's not just the pad, it's also the caliper. Also, antisqueal goop compounds do work - put a little bit on all surfaces that touch the pad (except the rotor!) and the squeal goes away or get significantly quieter. Just use ceramic one if you track - others burn out at higher temperatures.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,593 Likes on 738 Posts

At least it squeels like a school bus like all real GT3's

Only a track day get rid of squeal for a week maximum.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:31 AM
BBJMS
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 Turbo S - clicking PCCB

Lumber,
thanks very much for posting this notice it will be extremely useful. I have a new 991 turbo s and is making this noise already and only done 1500 miles.
Although it doesn't affect any performance its extremely annoying to have.

Quick Reply: PCCBs replaced...