Sponsored by:

OT, Amelia Island Concours '14

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 04:46 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Default OT, Amelia Island Concours '14

I would appreciate any helpful ideas, input on this event.
what days are best, events, etc.
tia!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:40 AM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Concours d'Elegance on Sunday is outstanding. There are many, many, beautiful examples of classic, historic, race, sports, etc., cars to see. It's almost on a par with Pebble Beach. I've been to both and the edge that Pebble has is that there are probably some more "important" cars than at Amelia, but that doesn't diminish the viewing experience at Amelia.

Last year, I attended the Porsche Driving experience which was comprised of three events. They split attendees into three groups and they rotated through the three events:

1. A "hot lap" with a pro driver in a Cup Car around a course set up at Mayport Naval Air Station. The drivers last year were Hurley Haywood and Pat Long. I rode with Pat at speeds up to 170MPH. Lots of fun.

2. An autocross course where you can select a Porsche to drive with an "instructor" who rides along. IIRC, they had 911's, Boxsters and Caymans, maybe more. I chose a Boxster because I had never driven a 981 and it was worth doing. Not a lot of time on the course, but I enjoyed it.

3. A tour of the Brumos musuem. As you might expect, it's a fabulous collection of vintage sports and race cars. Looking at this year's schedule, I don't think I saw this event mentioned so you might want to get clarification.

On Friday and Saturday, you can view the cars that are going to the RM auction as they are displayed at the Ritz. Some fabulous cars to see. I don't think you can attend the auction unless you are a registered bidder or seller. If you are interested in auctions, you can attend the Gooding Auction at Amelia Island Plantation (3 miles south of the Ritz) on Friday. They charge $30 to preview the cars and attend the auction. I enjoy it because, again, there are great cars, and watching auctioneer Charley Ross work is worth the price of admission.

On Friday and Saturday various manufacturers offer test drives in new, high end cars at the Ritz. Sign up as soon as you arrive because the more popular cars get backed up.

Check the website to see if the seminars would be of interest to you.

I didn't attend the Cars and Coffee at the Ritz on Saturday morning but it might be interesting. The cars on exhibit will be much more "real world" than the fabulous exhibits at the Concours and the auctions.

This event is also held at Amelia Island Plantation: http://festivalsofspeed.com/amelia-island/. Some nice cars, but not as interesting as the main Concours exhibits.

PM me if you want any more info and I'll try to help.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:31 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Thx tmg57!
I will put together a list of questions and PM you,
Cheers!
P
Old 02-13-2014, 10:07 AM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Just to add to TMGs comments...

Been there last 3 yrs and drove various cars incl the Lambos

Last yr they shuttle us to the airport n/c btw. Lined up 4 gallardos behind an Aventador and proceeded to do 4-5 pulls up to 95mph on those tight and narrow roads... Great fun but stupid of course

Please beware the group after us all got pulled over and ticketed incl an idiot in a older diablo who jumped on the back. Check it out on youtube.com

Just a beautiful event and wknd tho... Also need reservations thurs, fri and sat nites as it gets very crowded in Fernandina.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:26 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

JCL59,
I am really looking forward to this event...s/b a car guy experience!
hope to run into some RL'ers,
P
Old 02-13-2014, 10:26 PM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I really like the atmosphere at the Gooding auction on fri at the plantation. Much nicer venue (less stuffy) with more room than RM at the ritz which is very crowded and sells out usually.

There really is so much going on you will not see everything in 3 days.

I'll be on a carbon road bike w carbon wheels rolling around the island and always ride up to valet at the ritz...

Just yell JCL59 if you see me
Old 02-15-2014, 04:00 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Gooding auction catalogue is now up: http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/?status=upcoming

Some nice Porsches. I'll take Lot #10, the '73 Carrera 2.7 RS Lightweight, thank you very much.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:08 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

^last year I saw another one sold at Mecums for +$600k, and fell off my chair...IT WAS A BARGAIN!
I am going to try to make this auction.

Quick Reply: OT, Amelia Island Concours '14