Sponsored by:

991 GT3 CDR AUDIO SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
did that work for all files you actually purchased through itunes, or just the MP3 formatted ones on you your computer?

The description for the jukebox says it will play mp3 formatted songs, but it doesn't mention songs in aac format, which I believe is the standard format for songs purchase through itunes.
Yes. I copied my entire music library to a flash drive, including songs purchased from iTunes and it all uploaded and plays on the Jukebox. In the PCM display it even displays "AAC" or "mp3" depending on which type of file is being played.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Interesting about sound quality. I wonder what bit rate it encodes the files locally? Was hoping it wouldn't really matter with the mediocre stereo in the GT3
I did not mean the quality of files playing - the soundsystem itself is not that good. I think it's not even soundsystem but rather the acoustics of the car. It just sounds as if you are inside a metal canister, regardless of source. Well, now that I think about it, you actually are inside a metal canister - sound deadening materials in GT3 are minimal, so no surprise.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Dlff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mike,
Yes I'm from the Far East & we have different options. Cheers mate!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:50 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

FWIW, iTunes went DRM free in 2009, so unless you have pre-2009 purchases that weren't upgraded to drm free since then (a minor ~20c per track charge) your aac tracks should work just fine on the jukebox

edited to add: looks like the replaced the batch upgrade that they used to offer, and it now happens automatically if you subscribe to the "itunes match" cloud service.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I did not mean the quality of files playing - the soundsystem itself is not that good. I think it's not even soundsystem but rather the acoustics of the car. It just sounds as if you are inside a metal canister, regardless of source. Well, now that I think about it, you actually are inside a metal canister - sound deadening materials in GT3 are minimal, so no surprise.
Agree with this. Wasn't the most impressive feature of the car. Nothing to do with sound deadening either as that's actually quite thick (I still have the cut out insert from when the factory extinguisher was installed and its an inch thick).
Old 06-15-2014, 11:04 PM
loveivs
Advanced

Bit hijack of the thread. Seems I made a huge mistake. I chose none of those options on the list. What type of audio system am I going to have? CDR plus, sound pkg plus and PCM are all options...
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^ You shouldn't loose sleep. Im not alone in saying the CDR plus is the worse sounding "upgraded" stereo Ive ever had on a new car. The PCM I didnt bother with, my TomTom app on iPhone gives me traffic and speed cameras so is infinitely more useful and upgradable/current than the Porsche system for my country.

Quite honestly if I had have known how glorious the engine sounds above 8000 rpm and how crap the sound sytem is I wouldnt have stuck with the "free" factory offer and kept $1000+ in my pocket...
Old 06-15-2014, 11:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

You obviously didn't choose NAV either as the Sound Plus option is required if you select it. Basically you get Sound Plus, NAV, and PCM for the price of Sound Plus, at least here in the US, so it's a pretty decent deal, especially for Porsche. But as Macca points out, it's not the end of the world as the engine makes all the music you will need. It's not like this car is a great listening environment for music anyway.

Edit: Duh, I see now you're on the China configurator....you probably didn't lose that much other than the radio which is not a big deal.....
Old 06-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Okay, In my C2S loaner I have the Bose system which is quite fine. In the 991 GT3 I have the "sound plus option". How does that upgrade compare the Bose in my loaner in terms of sound quality?
Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jimmy. Trust me. The GT3 ICE in CDR - Sound Plus option is very disappointing. Not as good IMO as Bose in 991S. One caveat - I never tried with SD only Radio and iPod (lossless).
Old 06-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Jimmy, I agree with Macca. The Sound Plus option is not comparable to the Bose system I had in my 997.2 S but it is a definite upgrade from the base system in the GT3 and includes some nice features like the hard drive for storing music and a USB connection. As I mentioned earlier, the noise levels in the GT3 don't make for a good listening environment anyway, unless you're parked or cruising at low speeds.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:13 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Thanks - I wont need to listen to any music with the Shakwerks Bypass. I great sounding exhaust is the best music to my ears
Old 06-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Pat L.
Advanced

It's good to hear that everyone else is suffering from the same disappointment in the stereo. I have grown used to the Bose in my Cayenne and when I drove the 100 yards to the flatbed in the GT3 on Friday I didn't remember the stereo sucking so badly. Oh well. I have the sound package plus. No bluetooth though, or at least not recognizing my phone... was that a separate option? Should be in the PCM/SPP upgrade, no?
Old 06-16-2014, 12:35 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat L.
It's good to hear that everyone else is suffering from the same disappointment in the stereo. I have grown used to the Bose in my Cayenne and when I drove the 100 yards to the flatbed in the GT3 on Friday I didn't remember the stereo sucking so badly. Oh well. I have the sound package plus. No bluetooth though, or at least not recognizing my phone... was that a separate option? Should be in the PCM/SPP upgrade, no?
Pat--for 2014, the ordering guide was confusing and most dealers were unaware that the no cost "Mobile Phone Prep" option had to be checked for the Bluetooth capability.

Some have been able to negotiate with PCNA / dealers to have the OEM Bluetooth module retrofitted.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Pat L.
Advanced

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Pat--for 2014, the ordering guide was confusing and most dealers were unaware that the no cost "Mobile Phone Prep" option had to be checked for the Bluetooth capability.

Some have been able to negotiate with PCNA / dealers to have the OEM Bluetooth module retrofitted.
Thanks, that must be the case. Dealers are able to do that retrofit? I assume it's some stupid software enable process... pay them money and they just make a key stroke.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 CDR AUDIO SYSTEM