Sponsored by:

GT3 enjoyment at sane speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:23 PM
new GT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 enjoyment at sane speeds

Much has been made about the fact that to really enjoy this car on the road you have to be going over the top fast, I don't believe so. I would like to put forth suggestion on how to get great enjoyment without going insanely fast; short-shifting. I think that if you drive in a sporty manner shifting at 5-6000rpm you can have a great time, and the car feels very special, without achiving speeds that will be rediculosly unsafe on public roads and risk landing in jail. I have been doing this and having a lot of fun still enjoying the handling, braking, and engine sound without breaking the bank and enjoying it a lot. In this range the car still feels very sporty yet keeps you within a range of speed that may earn you a ticket but won't get you arrested or have you going too fast to react to something unexpected. I had a Ferrari 355 that I did the same thing with (which had the same type of power band) and this gave me many hours of enjoyment while at the same time avoiding trouble. What do you think?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:35 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your a Wise Man. Allan
Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

this is what i plan on doing
Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM
frayed
Race Car

Screw it. That's why I have a lawyer on retainer.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree with the OP about not having to risk jail to have fun with the car. Even while forcing myself to limit revs during the break in period, and shifting short, I've been enjoying the car immensely. Maybe I'm easy, but the car feels very special even in everyday driving situations.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Mike, you are among those who use the car on track/autocross.. So it makes sense to keep that leash on the road as you have an outlet. But if you were the type of owner who doesn't go to the track, wouldn't a Carrera S, or (gulp) a cayman I've you 95% of the pleasure? I've never owned a truly fast car, but I own multiple Ducati motorcycles, one specifically which doesn't even come alive below 60mph, and stalls and overheats below 30mph.. I realized long ago how pointless it is on the road and I keep it just for the track.. My most fun bikes are my 1100 air-cooled hypermotard which is happiest between 30mph and 70mph... Super fast vehicles are truly tough to enjoy on road IMO
Old 02-10-2014, 09:24 PM
new GT3
Advanced

CAlexio,
If I was going to limit myself exclusivly to road use I'd agree and would have purchased a Boxster S. I was speaking to getting the most enjoyment on the road while still having a track weapon.

Last edited by new GT3; 02-10-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

slow and steady.

On ramps and off ramps are your friend. Same for overpasses with tunnels.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:39 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I would say to enjoy this car at sane speeds you would want to refrain from shifting.

I put on a bypass exhaust and run the rpms up to the limit. I hang out in 2-3 gear. Car sounds/feels like you're going twice as fast as you actually are.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 PM
mikemiaos
Instructor

agree, I have no fun at all with my AMGs
Old 02-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Mike, you are among those who use the car on track/autocross.. So it makes sense to keep that leash on the road as you have an outlet. But if you were the type of owner who doesn't go to the track, wouldn't a Carrera S, or (gulp) a cayman I've you 95% of the pleasure? I've never owned a truly fast car, but I own multiple Ducati motorcycles, one specifically which doesn't even come alive below 60mph, and stalls and overheats below 30mph.. I realized long ago how pointless it is on the road and I keep it just for the track.. My most fun bikes are my 1100 air-cooled hypermotard which is happiest between 30mph and 70mph... Super fast vehicles are truly tough to enjoy on road IMO
Alex, you make a good point and never having a chance to exercise a car like the GT3 to any of it's limits of handling, braking, acceleration or speed would be frustrating and in some ways kind of a waste. In a world of common sense and logic a Carrera or Boxster/Cayman should be all the car one would ever need to have fun on the street. Unfortunately, for those of us afflicted with this particular disease, it's not all about logic and there are emotions at work that crave the kind of look, sound, and range of sensations that only a car like the GT3 can provide. I can understand why someone might want this car for those reasons alone, not to mention the occasional opportunity to turn the car loose a bit on their favorite road or turn.

Looked at another way, that day we drove up the coast, the car was never revved over 4500 rpm and we stayed within reasonable shouting distance of the speed limit at all times, yet I had a great time. Maybe it would have been just as much fun in a "lesser" car, but for me there was and is something special about driving the GT3 that just wasn't quite there with my Carrera S, as great as that car was.

The feeling I get driving the GT3 is hard to quantify, but the fact that it's a unique experience is hard for me to deny, and makes the price of admission worth it.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-11-2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-10-2014, 11:01 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike, You are spot on. I wish I had discovered the GT3 much earlier. Having gone through 4 Carrera-S, 2 TT's, and 3 Boxster's, and bunch of other cars like beemers and MB's, the GT3 is somthing else. No other car has giving me so much pleasure. Save yourself a lot of headache and money and get the GT3 if you can afford it and if you really decide on a Carrera be ready to be disappointed and loose a lot of money when you sell.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:10 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

My dealer took me up on Mulholland Dr. the first day for our demo drive. He said you basically don't need to brake for turns with this car. I didn't believe him till we tried it a couple times.. He was right.. this car is like cheating.. Kept the revs low and had fun at low speeds. -- Also, noted under safe conditions if you wait to get closer to stops before aggressively applying the brakes you get some nice downshift blips. -- all with in the speed limit if thats your MO.. For the heavy lifting -- 'Take it to the Track'.. as they say... -- The only way I can ride Bikes is to the Limit.. so they only get ridden on the track. (Tail of the Dragon, and Angeles Crest Highway are not race tracks.. Your run-off is an 800ft cliff--wish more people understood this).
Old 02-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lumber
I would say to enjoy this car at sane speeds you would want to refrain from shifting.

I put on a bypass exhaust and run the rpms up to the limit. I hang out in 2-3 gear. Car sounds/feels like you're going twice as fast as you actually are.
I'm with lumber on this. Don't change past 3rd!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:41 AM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

I haven't got mine yet but I know I will love to hear it rev.. Looks like I'll never get out of first. Who needs a gearbox anyway

Quick Reply: GT3 enjoyment at sane speeds