Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many would pay over $400,000 for the new gt3

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

CDN dollar is bout .90U.S. But a new GT3 is still under $190k in Canada.

I wouldnt pay $300k+ for a GT3 no matter where i lived unless i sold drugs or something....

Seriously, if i lived in aussie and could afford to pay $400k for a 991 GT3, I would buy a secondary residence in USA or Canada and park a GT3 there instead.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:24 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thats crazy. I had no idea. Im sure Porsche are making good margin in China like they do in Australia, NZ, South Africa etc...
all the new cars are built to suit the new, emerging markets now. much greater margin there and fresh meat to milk with digital-propaganda.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:00 AM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

yeh oz is the victim of well meaning but misguided do gooders who systematically stuff things up for a country that should be the financial mecca of the world.

It makes me a bit sad really. But thank you all for your replies.

I think the message im getting is that porsche charge what they think you'll pay not what the car is worth in real terms.

They damage their brand by doing this something I will never do with our products. Leaves you with a bit of a sour taste in your mouth and takes a bit of the excitement out of it. no one likes to be ripped into no matter how much money you may have,
Old 02-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Dude-
Pro

Could it be that the reason it is so expensive is due to importation tax or what ever your local government can get their hands on rather than what is dictated by Porsche? Aren't all the other car manufacturers although more expensive than the US, are they in proper proportions?
At 400K for a GT3, the question is if it is still a bargain compared to the other sports cars. I don't know your market but it sure sounds like if you drive any sports cars in Australia you must have money coming out of the wazzo.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzobreeder
I think the message im getting is that porsche charge what they think you'll pay not what the car is worth in real terms.
Porsche (or anyone else, for that matter) can ask as much as it wants but if it its asking much more than its competition in each region then no one would be buying its cars. My guess would be that BMWs and Ferraris also cost much more in OZ and Singapore than they do in the US. As Dude also suggested, the differences in price between regions most likely stem from differences in local taxes and tariffs.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I would get really good at taking the bus.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzobreeder
oz should be the financial mecca of the world
can you explain?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Reza
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We do have higher taxes than the USA, no question about that. We have import tarrif (don't know the rate), we have 10% GOODS AND SERVICES TAX. Then we have stamp duty 3-4% tax. Then we have luxury car tax, 33% of every dollar after $57,500. Then to top it all off we have road taxes and registration that both cost a lot more than the USA... I've contemplated moving to the USA purely to feed my car addiction....
Old 02-10-2014, 06:50 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

registration+3rd party insurance costs $1k per annum, more if you use personalised plates.
comprehensive insurance cost anywhere between $2.5 - $5k p.a. depending on your situation.
car will cost you $100 per week before you drive it anywhere (or account for depreciation....), and at least $600 per week if you need to finance it.
there are many people who pay and never say a thing. porsche charge whatever they want.
they know me at the local dealer, but i never bought anything from them other than a couple of models and an alarm clock!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 PM
AbsolutelyNobody
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Porsche (or anyone else, for that matter) can ask as much as it wants but if it its asking much more than its competition in each region then no one would be buying its cars. My guess would be that BMWs and Ferraris also cost much more in OZ and Singapore than they do in the US. As Dude also suggested, the differences in price between regions most likely stem from differences in local taxes and tariffs.
I can't speak for Aus/Oz but in Singapore you need to buy a piece of paper to own a car which alone costs $100K (and only good for one car and lasts for 10 years). On top of that you have something like 300% in taxes/tariffs which is why the GT3 here is over $800K and you can forget about Ferraris/Lambos/Mclarens without shelling out 7 figures.

Originally Posted by Reza
Then to top it all off we have road taxes and registration that both cost a lot more than the USA... I've contemplated moving to the USA purely to feed my car addiction....
Amen to this... exactly what I plan to do and luckily the wife is on board as well
Old 02-10-2014, 09:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I agree that paying OZ prices (let alone Singapore ones) would make me focus on buying homes and other luxurious before a car.. Value is completely skewed.. When a basic sports car costs as much as beach-front property in some parts of the world (here in Thailand where I'm vacationing for example).. Then how does it make sense anymore? It's not an absolute value problem (if you have the $ then you can decide how to allocate it).. It's a disproportionate value problem which changes what the purchase has to offer you in order to justify the price.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:08 AM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

hold on guys I just wanted to know if it would change your attitude to buying a gt3

In terms of are there tariffs or is it really expensive to live in OZ well yes there are tariffs and i accept that but

When the Oz Dollar was at $US 0.65 to buy one oz dollar $320,000 was about right for a Porsche. When the Oz went to $US 1.05 to buy one Australian Dollar a Porsche was still $320,000. Yet it would have cost the Porsche Australia half the price to import it. So more than double the profits were made. The $us.90 to buy one oz dollar at the moment means still very handsome profit.

Her is the kicker. I don;t mind paying this much for a porsche. I reckon the amount of effort they have put into that car and the obvious dedication to keep the thing at the cutting edge is fantastic and deserves a reward. It does feel a bit unfair that we pay double what us porsche owners pay for the same thing.

They can bull**** about smaller markets and all that crap all day long I just wish they would come clean and say yeh we are ripping into you and accept reality. Importing in OZ has been set up so that you can not import a car from elsewhere. Hence Porsche knows they can get away with it and they do. In the Asian markets they are putting huge tariffs on the cars but you are not precluded from buying your car from somewhere else in the world and importing it.

If you do this in Australia it will not get a compliance plate and they will either crush the car ot send it back from where it came from.

So yes I could import a car from England The dealer who sells it to me would make a good profit Porsche England would make a good profit. I would pay for the sea freight to Australia and land it after taxes for about $200,000. So where is the other $160,000 going.

The problem for Porsche as I see it is that they are damaging their brand. People who buy cars at this price can generally add up quite well. No one really likes to feel like they have been ripped off.

So while they can get away with it good on them but one day this pricing strategy will come back to haunt them Ill just sit back and say you've done it to yourself mate and wrecked a fantastic car and brand.

If they charged us $240,000 for the car I'd say yeh you are working in a small market and you deserve your profit and you do have those stupid taxes so fair enough. God I'd respect them so much more.

There you go I've had my bitch and I promise i will not bring it up again and only post stuff about the car in future.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:18 AM
edgy
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a roundabout way, they do openly say they're ripping us.... They say (quote) "we price relative to the market"

The price we pay for living in this country huh!

I guess I would pay the price if I could facilitate it.... Not at this point in life!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:51 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

It's not just Porsche though is it?... It's all the other brands also right?.. I know that a $19k Ducati 1199 in USA is $45k in OZ.. So it seems like it's the government regs which are creating this opportunistic environment.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:24 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not pay $331,000 for a GT3.

The utility of the car versus the utility of other uses for the cash is just too far out of whack.

Quick Reply: How many would pay over $400,000 for the new gt3