Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:10 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bad news for the RS waiters for sure. Hope its not true. I know a lot of folks been waiting for this car. Wonder if this news will effect the 991 GT3 resale value as it will be the one and only for a while.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:37 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I've heard Geneva. It was mentioned by AP that the RS should follow the GT3 by about 9 months. It's already been 11. Maybe they went back for more development after seeing the Z06 causing the further delay...jk.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:11 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Completely agree fast lane. I don't get my GT3 until May, so a delayed RS is just fine 8)
Old 02-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Completely agree fast lane. I don't get my GT3 until May, so a delayed RS is just fine 8)
+1
Old 02-08-2014, 03:49 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
"Bad news...

From my source i got the confirmation the 991 GT3 RS will be NOT in Geneva and delivery to customer will NOT start in summer of this year,all will be postponed .So like other rumors of latest days i think will be unveiled at Paris auto salon with delivery end 2014."

Even if the Rumor is true, this is NOT bad news for 991 GT3 Owners, even those like me with deposits pending on the GT3RS. IMHO, the present GT3 is going to be a very hard act to follow, especially if the cost of the GT3RS is almost $50K higher than the GT3. Comparing the average lap times of previous 996 and 997 generations of GT3 and GT3RS models on average length U.S. tracks, including the RS4.0, was only about a 1 Second difference while the RS lost much of its suitability as a Daily Driver.
With the necessitated reductions in RS weight, sound insulating materials were reduced increasing wind, tire and engine noise while omitting comfort options and made for a stiffer and less comfortable ride than GT3s, great for track use, but as a DD, not so much. Obviously delaying the RS will leave the GT3 as Porsche’s ultimate track weapon longer, thus enhancing its desirability and its market value.
The more I drive this GT3, and even prior to its first track days later this month, the more I’m coming to love this car, and the more difficult it becomes for me to face having to trade it for an RS. Having owned dozens of 911s, including most of the great GT Models for decades, this car has really captured my heart. Frankly, I’m glad that traumatic decision will at least be postponed a while longer.

High praise coming from you.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been told December delivery for the RS in the UK.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:03 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

"Bad news...

From my source i got the confirmation the 991 GT3 RS will be NOT in Geneva and delivery to customer will NOT start in summer of this year,all will be postponed .So like other rumors of latest days i think will be unveiled at Paris auto salon with delivery end 2014."

Even if the Rumor is true, this is NOT bad news for 991 GT3 Owners, even those like me with deposits pending on the GT3RS. IMHO, the present GT3 is going to be a very hard act to follow, especially if the cost of the GT3RS is almost $50K higher than the GT3. Comparing the average lap times of previous 996 and 997 generations of GT3 and GT3RS models on average length U.S. tracks, including the RS4.0, was only about a 1 Second difference while the RS lost much of its suitability as a Daily Driver.
With the necessitated reductions in RS weight, sound insulating materials were reduced increasing wind, tire and engine noise while omitting comfort options and made for a stiffer and less comfortable ride than GT3s, great for track use, but as a DD, not so much. Obviously delaying the RS will leave the GT3 as Porsche’s ultimate track weapon longer, thus enhancing its desirability and its market value.
The more I drive this GT3, and even prior to its first track days later this month, the more I’m coming to love this car, and the more difficult it becomes for me to face having to trade it for an RS. Having owned dozens of 911s, including most of the great GT Models for decades, this car has really captured my heart. Frankly, I’m glad that traumatic decision will at least be postponed a while longer.
Fastlaneturbo did you get my PM last week? may not have sent correctly?
Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"Bad news...

Although this isn't what anyone wants to hear; if it does give us a better car in the long run then I am all for it.

Thanks for the info... Any specifics on why it was delayed? Or was it just that more development was needed?

Also, what is your take on the RS? Will it be a more hard-core track machine, more tuned for DD duties or a combo of both like the GT3?

Thanks again in advance!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
I've heard Geneva. It was mentioned by AP that the RS should follow the GT3 by about 9 months. It's already been 11. Maybe they went back for more development after seeing the Z06 causing the further delay...jk.
We could only hope. Love this type of competition! Ultimately everyone wins in these types of scenerious...except for the pocketbook.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:21 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
Although this isn't what anyone wants to hear; if it does give us a better car in the long run then I am all for it.

Thanks for the info... Any specifics on why it was delayed? Or was it just that more development was needed?

Also, what is your take on the RS? Will it be a more hard-core track machine, more tuned for DD duties or a combo of both like the GT3?

Thanks again in advance!
I don't have any "inside information" so have no idea when it will be introduced,
nor why it is delayed - if it truly was. Lots of rumors out there, but until Porsche
releases the information officially, we're all really guessing. But you can rest assured that the RS version will certainly be a more hard-core track machine and further removed from being a comfortable daily driver. Always has been - Always will be.
The decision to buy the GT3RS vs the GT3 will depend upon essentially Three
factors: How much additional performance am I buying? How much additional money am I willing to pay for that performance? How much comfort am I willing to sacrifice in on-the-road driving to get that additional performance?
That is a personal evaluation each of us must make based upon individual needs and wants. Their will be no one-size-fits-all answer.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:27 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Does anybody here honestly feel that Porsche will do something completely off the charts with the 991RS?
Like something unbeliveably exciting and unexpected?

Or will it be as predictable as we all think?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:57 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Does anybody here honestly feel that Porsche will do something completely off the charts with the 991RS?
Like something unbeliveably exciting and unexpected?

Or will it be as predictable as we all think?
I'm guessing the later suggestion with lots of talk and claims to suggest the former...
Old 02-10-2014, 04:30 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

porsche need to pull out the proverbial rabbit here.
otherwise they will lose a lot of momentum.
i still have a flicker of faith, but i am ready to revert to full analog.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:15 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Flat 8? The engineers at Daytona all said no DFI b/c it want homologated. Could this "delay" be for the flat 8 motor?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:59 AM
frayed
Race Car

Harder suspension, harder shifts, bigger wing, more tire, turbo widebody, 30 more hp, and stickers. No flat 8. No manual.

Rumors about no RWS. Not sure what to make of that.

Predicting something more earth shattering isn't supported by history or even really by rumor.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread