Black headlights w/o washers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 06:01 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Black headlights w/o washers

So I really want black headlights but do not want headlight washers.

Does anyone know if the 3 different style of headlights are just plug-n-play?
Old 01-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

I don't know whether they are all plug and play; I wouldn't be surprised if the LED's in particular had different connectors than the Bi-Xenon. But all of the headlights from standard Bi Xenon, through the PDLS versions (grey and black) to the LED's come with headlight washers. IIRC, headlight washers are a legal requirement with Xenon headlights.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I don't know whether they are all plug and play; I wouldn't be surprised if the LED's in particular had different connectors than the Bi-Xenon. But all of the headlights from standard Bi Xenon, through the PDLS versions (grey and black) to the LED's come with headlight washers. IIRC, headlight washers are a legal requirement with Xenon headlights.
Headlight washers can't be a legal requirement with xenon because several cars are currently on the market that have xenon headlamps standard with no headlamp washers included?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Headlight washers can't be a legal requirement with xenon because several cars are currently on the market that have xenon headlamps standard with no headlamp washers included?
Read the first paragraph under "Headlight Washer System". Apparently VW feels they are a legal requirement...

http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovati...ngsanlage.html

Also this. Not a definitive source but interesting. Apparently while the US does not have such a requirement (our auto lighting laws have been behind the times for years) almost all other countries do.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/On_a_car_w...ve_xeon_lights

Maybe one could plug the holes and modify things, but good luck getting Porsche to do it.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-24-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:17 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Legal, not legal that's not my question!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by GJ
Legal, not legal that's not my question!
My assumption was that you wanted to order a headlight setup from Porsche that did not have headlight washers, and then retrofit the PDLS black ones which normally come with washers. Apparently I misunderstood.

The bottom line is:

A. There is no headlight configuration you can get from the factory that comes without headlight washers. Because of legal requirements they all come with washers and it's likely to be difficult, if not impossible, to order a car without them. Maybe with enough money.... Which may render the next point moot, but:

B. Standard Bi-Xenons don't have the steering motors, PDLS lights do, and LED's are a different light altogether. For this reason wiring and possibly connectors are likely to be different, but I don't know that for a fact.

Sorry if that doesn't answer your question....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-24-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just get them painted black - an option
Old 01-24-2014, 09:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

But he's still going to have headlight washers....
Old 01-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm surprised Porsche couldn't delete the washer system for US bound cars since it isn't a requirement here.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I think the problem would that that the front bumper/air dam already comes with holes to accommodate the washer nozzles. Might be difficult to get the factory to come up with a one-off bumper or figure out how to plug the holes for you. They don't like deviating from the norm, although I suppose with enough money....
Old 01-26-2014, 01:16 AM
jbigelow
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be a 991 GT3 thingy to have the nipples for washers as standard now and no deviating......

The 997.2 GT3 RS I own was specced with lightweight headlights.... Hence no xenon or nipples/headlight washers and no heated washer lines.

Hopefully 991 RS orders will have a lightweight headlight option also so nipple washerson front bumper
Old 01-26-2014, 11:08 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe I'm not understanding the headlight options!
I thought the standard Bi-Xenons do not have the headlight washer system
Am I incorrect?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jbigelow
Might be a 991 GT3 thingy to have the nipples for washers as standard now and no deviating......
Yeah, I understand what Mike in CA stated in regards to Porsche manufacturing only one version of the front clip for the GT3 - with the washer holes included.

Originally Posted by jbigelow
The 997.2 GT3 RS I own was specced with lightweight headlights.... Hence no xenon or nipples/headlight washers and no heated washer lines.

Hopefully 991 RS orders will have a lightweight headlight option also so nipple washerson front bumper
That would be really nice if the 991 RS has a lightweight headlight option. I still haven't found out if the LED's weigh more or less than the Bi-xenons.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by GJ
Maybe I'm not understanding the headlight options!
I thought the standard Bi-Xenons do not have the headlight washer system
Am I incorrect?
The virtual pics in the configurator show headlight washers with the standard Bi-Xenons. I thought all the Bi-Xenon headlights come with headlight washers because they are required ROW. For your sake, I hope I'm wrong. Maybe someone who has the standard lights on their car can answer this for you definitively.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:35 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

In the configurator, you can choose to get the nipples painted for every headlight option. So, I'm thinking that the chrome nips are standard for every headlight option.

EDIT: I was wrong. The headlight cleaning system does not come with the standard bi-xenon headlights.

Last edited by alpine-al; 01-28-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: bad info

Quick Reply: Black headlights w/o washers