Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who cares of 0-62 mph ? Would be better having fun with a better PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:59 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 435 Likes on 261 Posts
Talking Who cares of 0-62 mph ? Would be better having fun with a better PDK?

Hi Fellas,

aren t you tired or at least aware of this (stupid) marketing war
to claim they sell a better new car because they run a faster 0-62 mph ?

Wouldn t be (MUCH) better having a fun car to drive in DD
rather than one with a 1st and 2nd gear just made sooo looong for the marketing gurus rather than the real drivers?

Personally i found in my 991 4S the 2nd gear really too long,
good maybe for an outstanding acceleration
(less gear you change less time is needed to accelerate)

but having such a long 2nd 3rd gear makes the car impossible
to be enjoyed if not at track speeds,

so the reason why a lot are complaining a thinking to a Turbo
to feel a low end torque they say, but i think the torque in C2/4S is more than enough , the PDK is the problem and once they buy a Turbo
they will realise that will be if possible even less usable in DD

and all we know that we buy Porsche and not a Caterham to have fun in Daily roads while (unluckily only in the past for the above marketing reasons)
RS version should be made for tracks and newspaper marketing performances
NOT the regular Porsche versions!!!

would be really cool if any tuner would start designing an after market
tuning for the PDK , personally i would buy it today

the only alternative solution i found here in Italy is to drive the car
on the mountains roads (yes we have a lot of them :-) )
BUT i can t relocate to the mountains just for the f***g Marketing Gurus
(pardon my french i am preparing popcorns :-) )
Old 01-21-2014, 07:13 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 590 Posts

Are you sure you are posting in the right forum? If so, I think there is no need for shorter 1 and 2 gears in GT3 - there is plenty of grunt there for street, and they are actually a bit too short to be used on track. Also, with PDK you can downshift to 1st without an issue if the 2nd is too tall, and it's definitely not too tall - I bet 1st gear acceleration is traction-limited in most condition anyway.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:15 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Let s talk to the Dealers
and don t forget it when you will fill the Porsche questionnaire!

Send a message to Porsche

Less Marketing cars to have more enjoyable cars!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:17 PM
fxz
Race Car

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Are you sure you are posting in the right forum? If so, I think there is no need for shorter 1 and 2 gears in GT3 - there is plenty of grunt there for street, and they are actually a bit too short to be used on track. Also, with PDK you can downshift to 1st without an issue if the 2nd is too tall, and it's definitely not too tall - I bet 1st gear acceleration is traction-limited in most condition anyway.
personally i think driving a car in 1st gear is just good to exit the garage
not because i have a 2nd gear unusable,

driving a 991 including the GT3 in 3rd gear enjoying the engine is currently just good
on drag races or highways (or the mountains ) but i don t live on the mountains and i don t think a porsche should be built for highways (or for car magazines performances)
Old 01-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

The gearing is not the problem - it's the power - there's too much of it.

I recommend picking up an older 911 (or any other car) with half the power. It will certainly have the shorter ratios you are looking for.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:11 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off subject, I think the 0-60 figures are irrelevant with so many high horsepower cars. A sprint to 60mph represents the cars traction abilities and not the grunt or outright power it produces to move that vehicle. 0-160, 60-160 and so on seem more appropriate to the modern car. Gearing will always be a factor in these tests but I agree these are only numbers and shouldn't represent the car entirely. *** it. Have fun!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:16 PM
fxz
Race Car

Talking

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27
Off subject, I think the 0-60 figures are irrelevant with so many high horsepower cars. A sprint to 60mph represents the cars traction abilities and not the grunt or outright power it produces to move that vehicle. 0-160, 60-160 and so on seem more appropriate to the modern car. Gearing will always be a factor in these tests but I agree these are only numbers and shouldn't represent the car entirely. *** it. Have fun!
I will buy an "old style" 911 for sure,

it also not just related to 2nd 3rd gear ratio but also
as well said by Chris Harris while testing the 991 GT3

"this GT3 is fantastic but don t expect the same 997 GT3
personality below 5000 RPM"

we always bought Porsche JUST for its personality so unique,

a Porsche with half personality should cost half the money

Quick Reply: Who cares of 0-62 mph ? Would be better having fun with a better PDK?