Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyday tire alternatives GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014 | 09:41 PM
CaymanR-Racer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911rox
Agreed, it is probably the best all round tyre and my choice of wet track tyre as it works so well. In the heat, it does tend to struggle and show signs of melting but certainly no worse than the MPSCs which were absolute crap in the heat. Longevity: current set-3 wet days, 3 dry days and a 2hr skid pan session but nearly spent. On there 5th outing my pro instructor run a 1min43.1 on these tyres 2/3 spent. On a previous track day he ran a 1min42.8 on another guys 997.2RS with Sport Maxx r-comps so yes, they can be fast in the right hands and with the right alignment.
Well, maybe that is true for like 1-2 short/quickest laps ? But when I ran the Nordschleife one lap is already about 8 Minutes (depending on traffic) and I always had the experience that the PSS tended to give in in the second half of the first "hard" lap… The difference in the first sectors wasn't huge though... Think it wasn't really an alignment issue…
The AD08 were better, Trofeo were different league in terms of heat tolerance and grip… Wear was a lot better with the AD08 imo... and dunno if some instructor may help ... but I doubt it looking at the times I did (posted on YT, so you can make ur own judgement) … but on the Nordschleife there is always room for improvement and nobody is perfect anyway (apart W.Röhrl maybe)!!
But the GT3 is a lot faster than the CR, so an instructor "might" be not such a bad idea… just don't feel that I could push the PSS further with an instructor tbh ;-) …

And as max said, the real world data so far seems to show that the TWI maybe 180 now on the PSC2 sidewall but that it still can't be compared to the milage one can get out of an AD08(R)
Old 01-21-2014 | 12:09 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanR-Racer
Well, maybe that is true for like 1-2 short/quickest laps ? But when I ran the Nordschleife one lap is already about 8 Minutes (depending on traffic) and I always had the experience that the PSS tended to give in in the second half of the first "hard" lap… The difference in the first sectors wasn't huge though... Think it wasn't really an alignment issue…
The AD08 were better, Trofeo were different league in terms of heat tolerance and grip… Wear was a lot better with the AD08 imo... and dunno if some instructor may help ... but I doubt it looking at the times I did (posted on YT, so you can make ur own judgement) … but on the Nordschleife there is always room for improvement and nobody is perfect anyway (apart W.Röhrl maybe)!!
But the GT3 is a lot faster than the CR, so an instructor "might" be not such a bad idea… just don't feel that I could push the PSS further with an instructor tbh ;-) …

And as max said, the real world data so far seems to show that the TWI maybe 180 now on the PSC2 sidewall but that it still can't be compared to the milage one can get out of an AD08(R)
So you're really looking for something with better track durability than than the MPSC2... While the 991 is supposed to less hard on tires than previous GT3s, I agree the PSS will likely overheat and eventually chunk in the useage you suggest above. However there are very few other options in these sizes. After you burn up the MPSC2s you could try the ContiForceContact (treadwear 80) but I kinda doubt it will be better than stock. Same with the Dunlops, which I can overheat on the street or at the autocross, and there just isn't much else out yet in those sizes. Look into a set of 19s to give yourself more options?
Old 01-21-2014 | 01:25 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Unfortunately, that is the case. I am just about to replace the tires on my 2011 Turbo S cab with Pilot Super Sports (non-N rated). I don't think there are any N-rated sizes of Pilot Super Sport tires yet, but I wanted to try the PSS's, and I need tires now.
I just put set of 4 MPSS on my car and love them. This is a no brainner. Get MPSS if no supply issue. I had a hard time finding rear but that was about two months ago.
Old 01-21-2014 | 02:53 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanR-Racer

CaymanR, I generally do 30 minute sessions and they've seen those through without fail in temps up to 27oC. I'm running times within 2 sec of a pro v8 supercar driver on my local track so we're not talking a Sunday drive either Sure they squeal like pigs as they get hotter, greasy to some degree and show the affects of heat in the last 10 or so minutes of the session but I have not had them chunk or melt like the MPSCs did... I will run say 8 out of 12 laps at full pace on warmer days... Admittedly I use them on cooler days and wet days. As mentioned in my previous post, they are ideal for cooler and wet weather but can be heat managed even on hot days...

Not that they'll necessarily offer them in 20" sizes but the RS3s are awesome in hot weather. I've had them out on a 35oC day for 6-7 45 minute sessions and they showed no ill effects. No melt and no chunking... Reasonable greasiness and needed very little heat management.

The thing to keep in mind is that those tyres that cope in the heat are often made of harder compounds and are terrible in the wet. I get around it by using two tyres for different conditions but if I were using only one set of tyres for street and wet or dry track, I would take MPSSs over RS3s and AD08s any day... Otherwise, I know I'd be parked in the pits on really wet days at the track or doing parade laps at highway speed... I know of no tyre that does street, wet and hot track really well except maybe the Pirelli Corsa Systems but these are becoming increasingly scarce. I think most tyres force a sacrifise and you have to choose if wet track or dry track is priority...

What's the weather like at the NBR? Is it more often hot or wet? I tend to see most posted videos showing fairly overcast or wet weather...

Regarding alignment, done right the advantages are huge not that you wouldn't know that... The same guy could only manage a 1min 46.0 flat around Phillip Island on standard alignment and he holds the record on that track in one particular class of car. Track alignment and the same tyres in far worse condition a few months later and he did a the 1min 43.1, admitting that whilst tyre were spent, the car was good for a mid/high 1min42 except that he made a mistake out-braking himself because the one bad tendency MPSSs have is lack of straight line braking resulting in ABS...

As for my comment about using an instructor, it wasn't directed at you but the point I was trying to get across to people is that rather than going from tyre to tyre to get faster lap times, getting help to get fast so that you can maximise the car's performance on any rubber makes more sense.

An instructor once told me "you can always drive sticky rubber fast if you can drive fast on street tyres".. Basically the inadequacies in grip of the street tyres teachers you to better control and compensate thus making it easier to manage a car that is well planted on sticky stuff... Just a thought although a little off topic

Petevb's advice makes sense, the 991 GT3 guys need to try and get 19" wheels to fit on their cars so it opens up options for tyres...

Last edited by 911rox; 01-21-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-21-2014 | 06:15 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

ps. regarding the vorti Rs, it is not a brand known to us... European??? If they end up doing your sizes you could give them a go... Best thing about a GT3 is that if you don't like them, they won't last long enough for you to regret them

Just ensure they have the correct load ratings...
Old 01-21-2014 | 07:14 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJones
Got the sizes but they are NOT yet "N" rated
Chasing MPSS for my .2 GT3RS....and whilst not "N-rated" ....OPC's on this side of the pond..make an exception and will fit them.

Yes...in GB...OPC's will not normally fit anything other than N-rated tires.....going to the extent of voiding warranty if you choose to run non N's....stupid..but true

Porsche co-developed the MPSS with Michelin hence its N-rated availability on several vehicles..

but rumour has it that the GT3 RS test driver did not sign off....hence the non N standing...for this fitment....
Old 01-21-2014 | 03:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Chasing MPSS for my .2 GT3RS....and whilst not "N-rated" ....OPC's on this side of the pond..make an exception and will fit them.

Yes...in GB...OPC's will not normally fit anything other than N-rated tires.....going to the extent of voiding warranty if you choose to run non N's....stupid..but true

Porsche co-developed the MPSS with Michelin hence its N-rated availability on several vehicles..

but rumour has it that the GT3 RS test driver did not sign off....hence the non N standing...for this fitment....
interesting ...
Old 01-21-2014 | 06:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
Got the sizes but they are NOT yet "N" rated
I think the issue with N rating is that Porsche/Michelin are disinclined to N rate more than one tire type per car. So for the GT3 its the MPSC2 and thats it. For other models they may N rate the MPSS... I doubt it will ever happen for the GT3 though.
Old 12-01-2020 | 03:34 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Posted in the wrong thread.

Last edited by NCheok; 12-01-2020 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Everyday tire alternatives GT3