Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rohrl on GT3, CGT, manual transmissions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:37 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts
Default Rohrl on GT3, CGT, manual transmissions...

Found this link in the 987-981 forum. Posting it on all three GT3 forums.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=29197

And the next predictable Porsche question; PDK in the GT3 - thoughts?

[With a knowing smile] "Yes, during the press launch everybody was complaining and saying: 'Why?!' But I said, 'Be happy! Drive the car and you will see how much easier it is for you to go fast.' The shifting is something very impressive. I think most engine problems we have created because people were not able to watch the rev counter, watch the speed, and know when to shift. So they would shift back too early and the engine would be over-revving. With PDK, you avoid this. But for myself, if I want to buy a car, and I want to say I keep this car for the next 20 years, I would always take a manual gearbox, because I believe more, I trust more in a manual than in a double clutch. I've just ordered a Boxster Spyder with a manual shift - and I know that it's working, it's perfect, and it's up to me how I handle things. But PDK makes life easier for normal customers."
Given that, what's your pick of the GT3 lineage?

"It would have to be the first GT3 in 1999, the one in which I set first [Nurburgring] time under eight minutes, a 7:56. I think that car was like a 2.7 RS from 1973; a pure Porsche. Today it's easier to drive the new GT3. On the Nuerburgring, to go 7:35 is nothing any more. It's so easy to drive, it's so perfect; you don't even have to shift any more. You just put down the throttle and brake and everything is going automatically. Really the newest one is always the best one. But for myself, I always want that it is my talent to make the car fast, and in the old one you really need more talent than with the new one. But I still think the 997, with 435hp, it is a fantastic car. In it, everyone can go fast."
On Carrera GT vs 918:
If I have to choose for a future car, I would take the Carrera GT. The car is slower, and it is much more difficult to drive, but it's more how I expect the car to be.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:27 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...interview.html
Old 01-19-2014, 02:20 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is why PDK is now mandatory -

"I think most engine problems we have created because people were not able to watch the rev counter, watch the speed, and know when to shift."

It's all about minimizing warranty costs during the warranty period and maximizing reputation for durability after the warranty period.

IMHO.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:33 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Oops. Somehow I missed it. Thx!
Old 01-19-2014, 02:34 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
This is why PDK is now mandatory -

"I think most engine problems we have created because people were not able to watch the rev counter, watch the speed, and know when to shift."

It's all about minimizing warranty costs during the warranty period and maximizing reputation for durability after the warranty period.

IMHO.
^exactly
And it's chicken**** IMHO
People like options - charge more for the manual to offset anticipated warranty claims... Or just make another SUV :-)
Old 01-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Another potential reason is that Porsche's 7-speed manual in the 991, which is derived from the PDK for packaging/engineering/cost reasons, is garbage, and it is too impractical/expensive for them to design a completely separate manual tranny due to lower profit margins from the added R&D and assembly costs. Not that this is a good thing, but it is a rationale.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 for Boxster Spyder. A magnificent car
Old 01-22-2014, 11:24 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 607 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
....., and it is too impractical/expensive for them to design a completely separate manual tranny due to lower profit margins from the added R&D and assembly costs. Not that this is a good thing, but it is a rationale.
While that is the official company line, I call BS on this. Porsche is now the MOST PROFITABLE car company in the world. They do all kinds of one-off things - look at the whole of the GT3 to begin with...or the 918...or... Point is, they could make a very robust manual, sell it as an option, and make $$ on it.

Years ago when Ferrari went to all paddle shifts, they said that it was because their clutch was so difficult for the every-day driver which as causing them to burn out clutches so quickly it was a bad image for the company. Porsche, at that time, said that their customers were 'much better drivers than that, and know how to shift a car' so they proclaimed they would stick with a manual, especially for the ultimate performance car in their line - GT3...

So much for that....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-22-2014, 12:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,615 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Originally Posted by P.J.S.
^exactly
And it's chicken**** IMHO
People like options - charge more for the manual to offset anticipated warranty claims... Or just make another SUV :-)
they did, it's called MACAN
Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
they did, it's called MACAN
Precisely what I was getting at
Obviously they want to go all PDK - it would have been interesting to see the manual trans option take rate (if it was an option) on the 991 gt3

I suspect it would have been as high as 75%
Old 01-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I love the 7mt in my C2S, I would have gotten a GT3 if it were available. AP said they tested it and it was fine but they thought the PDK covered all the bases so they moved forward without that option. Being the same as the PDK I doubt they'd have an issue with reliability any moreso than with the auto leaving out money shifts.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Tommy 5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P.J.S.
Or just make another SUV :-)
P.J.S., don't give Porsche any ideas... ; )
Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 121 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy 5
P.J.S., don't give Porsche any ideas... ; )
I am sure they will make a new smaller SUV based on Q3 in few years. Once you taste the SUV crack, there is no going back. Look at BMW - X1, X3, X4, X5, X6. And soon X2 and X7.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Aerowerke
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
While that is the official company line, I call BS on this. Porsche is now the MOST PROFITABLE car company in the world. They do all kinds of one-off things - look at the whole of the GT3 to begin with...or the 918...or... Point is, they could make a very robust manual, sell it as an option, and make $$ on it.

Years ago when Ferrari went to all paddle shifts, they said that it was because their clutch was so difficult for the every-day driver which as causing them to burn out clutches so quickly it was a bad image for the company. Porsche, at that time, said that their customers were 'much better drivers than that, and know how to shift a car' so they proclaimed they would stick with a manual, especially for the ultimate performance car in their line - GT3...

So much for that....
Any quotes/source for this? Would be some serious high quality flip-flopping material!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 952 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerowerke
Any quotes/source for this? Would be some serious high quality flip-flopping material!
You're just joining "that" conversation now? Man, I'm surprised there was not violence in this forum over it. Look for interviews with AP about the 997 GT3/RS/4.0, then watch the 991GT3 interview.....

Quick Reply: Rohrl on GT3, CGT, manual transmissions...