Sponsored by:

991 gt3 vs 430 Scuderia

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 02:11 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Gosh, I thought I was over my Ferrari temptation... Now you guys have me thinking. Trouble is, I already placed the order for the GT3. I guess the dealer could always unload it if I decided to go F-car instead... I've always dreamed of an F-car. Wonder if a one can get a lease on an '08 or '09 used car... I want the lease for the business deduction.
I do not believe u need to lease to get the bus deduction. Purchase cash finance or lease all treated the same now
Old 01-19-2014, 02:12 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

I owned a scud, traded it in for a 458. 7k miles on scud, and 4 k miles on 458. Sold both.

During this time I had a 2010 gt3 - which I kept and racked up over 35k miles.

There's something about the manual porsche that keeps you coming back. I would advise spend some quality time in a .2 gt3 or .2 RS before buying scud or new gt3.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:16 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

Drove them all. Have a 458 and an RS. Scud is a great car too. The jerkiness of the shifts in the scud is kinda cool.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:22 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
I owned a scud, traded it in for a 458. 7k miles on scud, and 4 k miles on 458. Sold both.

During this time I had a 2010 gt3 - which I kept and racked up over 35k miles.

There's something about the manual porsche that keeps you coming back. I would advise spend some quality time in a .2 gt3 or .2 RS before buying scud or new gt3.
Interesting... What were all the reasons you didn't drive the F-cars more? It must be more than just the manual... Is it all the attention the F-cars get? I know that can be annoying.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:37 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

Yes, F cars get a lot of attention. However, when I occasionally drive my RS on the street it gets just as much or more attention where I live.
The GT3 feels like a more robust car that can handle tons of abuse. I've only had my 458 for 2 months and it feels more "special" and delicate. I know it's in my head because these latest Ferraris are meant to be driven and reliability is as good as the Porsches now. The Ferrari is automotive art and adds a tad more exclusivity. Not sure how else to describe it. It's been a boyhood dream to own a Ferrari and a Porsche. I am lucky to have both.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I do not believe u need to lease to get the bus deduction. Purchase cash finance or lease all treated the same now
Really?

Do you just deduct how much the car has depreciated if you buy one that you use as your daily driver?
Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Big Question is will the FCar Nuts in the Next 20-30*40 years being lusting over these Ferraris like they do the old Daytonas and all the older rarer cars Enzo Ferrari Built with the the odd ball numbers to race like the 512MM whatever or the list of Ferrari's only Wayne Carini can sound off in his mind!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I am not trying to be disrespectful, but I'm not sure I'd agree with this latest statement.

If you purchase the car, irrespective of financing or not, their is a vast difference in IRS permitted depreciation one can take for a personal vehicle and can say with absolute certainty a Ferrari is well outside limits you can easily depreciate.

If you lease, you're permitted your percentage of business use (minus a small luxury car surcharge called a lease inclusion) of the entire lease payment.

Both use of cars share the same expense rules for maintenance, fuel etc, but the nature the car payment is huge.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:05 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
I am not trying to be disrespectful, but I'm not sure I'd agree with this latest statement.

If you purchase the car, irrespective of financing or not, their is a vast difference in IRS permitted depreciation one can take for a personal vehicle and can say with absolute certainty a Ferrari is well outside limits you can easily depreciate.

If you lease, you're permitted your percentage of business use (minus a small luxury car surcharge called a lease inclusion) of the entire lease payment.

Both use of cars share the same expense rules for maintenance, fuel etc, but the nature the car payment is huge.
I'm sure you are right. I was going off a brief sidebar conversation with a prior accountant I used. The moral of the conversation is to look at both options with your numbers guy.

So, let's say b/c the car in question is expensive and depreciation limits are hit. Consequently the right decision is to lease. Is it a viable option to lease with an absurdly high mileage annual allotment to cause excessive depreciation that results in a low buyout at the end of the lease?

This is another thing I've heard that can be done to have your business purchase a large portion of you car.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:44 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=frayed;11064626]Is it a viable option to lease with an absurdly high mileage annual allotment to cause excessive depreciation that results in a low buyout at the end of the lease?QUOTE]

This is EXACTLY what my CPA advised me to do...
Old 01-19-2014, 08:26 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im in the same boat as the original poster. i will not be tracking either since i have a cup but man i love the scud look and sound. pretty timeless. 991 gt3 looks timeless to since its 911 derived. i say scud

right now i have a v10 r8 plus and love it
Old 01-19-2014, 09:11 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Drove them all. Have a 458 and an RS. Scud is a great car too. The jerkiness of the shifts in the scud is kinda cool.
Yeah it's part of the rawness. Love it.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:14 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Interesting... What were all the reasons you didn't drive the F-cars more? It must be more than just the manual... Is it all the attention the F-cars get? I know that can be annoying.
Hard to say exactly. When I first took delivery of each f car, I was blown away and thought it was the best ever. After time it wears off. Then slowly I started to realize the cars are only fun when you're really pushing them hard. Legal speed drives turned out to be really boring.

The 458 for example - I couldn't get to maintain speed on the highway, it was always accelerating or decelerating. And jerky.

Driven hard they are exciting and fun, but that's where it stops.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:53 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

That makes sense. I have rented almost every variety of Ferrari which in Germany over the years, and would agree. I love renting/driving over there, because most of my driving time is spent on the autobahn, where you can really USE these cars. But once I'm off the autobahn, it's really pointless having a car that can perform at their level. It's actually one of the things that has held me back from getting one in the US.... now if we had autobahns here, it would be a completely different story!
Old 01-20-2014, 01:37 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 202 Posts

Buy the Ferrari with your heart, the Porsche with your brain

Quick Reply: 991 gt3 vs 430 Scuderia