991 gt3 vs 430 Scuderia

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:09 AM
Mash
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 991 gt3 vs 430 Scuderia

Hello members,

Well, now that the 991 GT3 has been pretty much tested by all magazine journalist's, plus new owners are having their cars delivered.

I was wondering if their are any members here that had the privilege of owning both these cars ( 991 gt3 / 430 Scud ) , or maybe just had a chance to drive both.

How would they compare? In your own opinions, which is a better car? Or has a more enjoyable edge over the other for ownership purposes!?

Thx!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:15 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash
Hello members,

Well, now that the 991 GT3 has been pretty much tested by all magazine journalist's, plus new owners are having their cars delivered.

I was wondering if their are any members here that had the privilege of owning both these cars ( 991 gt3 / 430 Scud ) , or maybe just had a chance to drive both.

How would they compare? In your own opinions, which is a better car? Or has a more enjoyable edge over the other for ownership purposes!?

Thx!
Boy, that's a tough one?

Allow me to start how most others do by saying, "it depends."

If what we hear to be true of most GT3 owners being track enthusiasts, then your questions is probably asking for an opinion based on performance vs. panache? If so, then for whatever it's worth I ran against a Scud (appeared to be very well modified too, all out race prepped) at Sebring last weekend and the GT3 was much faster.

That being said, a "Ferrari, is a Ferrari, is a Ferrari." The Italians created their car w/ 3 syllables to help it roll off one's tongue (vs.2 for "Porsssshhh... uh"). As car enthusiasts, I hope most will agree that there's just that something about "Ferrari" that is unique.

I used to track the 360 and 430 (drove the Scud but never tracked it) and Ferraris handle AMAZING. A bit under powered, but the sound, predictability, feel more than made up for the lack of power.

But, if you're looking for a car that will compete against ANYTHING on track conditions, then the GT3 is your weapon, hands down.

Having the valet park your car up front vs in the back, well I'd better not open that pandora's box.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:01 AM
green
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll let you know in april
Old 01-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
Boy, that's a tough one?

Allow me to start how most others do by saying, "it depends."

If what we hear to be true of most GT3 owners being track enthusiasts, then your questions is probably asking for an opinion based on performance vs. panache? If so, then for whatever it's worth I ran against a Scud (appeared to be very well modified too, all out race prepped) at Sebring last weekend and the GT3 was much faster.

That being said, a "Ferrari, is a Ferrari, is a Ferrari." The Italians created their car w/ 3 syllables to help it roll off one's tongue (vs.2 for "Porsssshhh... uh"). As car enthusiasts, I hope most will agree that there's just that something about "Ferrari" that is unique.

I used to track the 360 and 430 (drove the Scud but never tracked it) and Ferraris handle AMAZING. A bit under powered, but the sound, predictability, feel more than made up for the lack of power.

But, if you're looking for a car that will compete against ANYTHING on track conditions, then the GT3 is your weapon, hands down.

Having the valet park your car up front vs in the back, well I'd better not open that pandora's box.
Perfect answer!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:09 PM
tubescreamerules
Advanced

a friend took delivery of his new gt3 yesterday and he was kind enough to let me have a go in his new car. the new GT3 makes my Scud feel OLD, the new GT3 is better in every way. and dont even think about track the SCUD, although the thing is very capable on track and very easy to drive, but if you track it like tracking an gt3 (at least 6/7gt3) , the scud will break. those Italian cars just aint that robust
Old 01-18-2014, 03:34 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,000 Likes on 472 Posts

There is a special factor about the scud that is beyond words or rational comparison. The GT3 is easily the better road or track "weapon"...but there will always be "something" that the Fcar has that will make it special EVERY time you turn the key (vs just being ok until you open it up etc etc). I went through this with my 599...which was definitely not a great car compared to its competition performance wise...but I still miss it more than anything else I have had because it just had such an intangible fun factor.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:22 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Last summer while in Germany, a friend of mine let me drive his 458 and Scud back-to-back. The difference was night and day between the two. The 458 had much better torque and acceleration, shifted faster, had more precise handling, was more comfortable, not as loud, just better in almost every way possible (in my opinion). After driving the 458, to me, the Scud just felt sort of silly, actually. Lots of drama with the Scud, and lots of performance with the 458. Again, just my opinion.

Having said all this, I've read that the new GT3 is a viable competitor with the 458 in many ways. If this is truly the case, then it will blow away the Scud.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:27 PM
green
Pro

I drove the 458 and would never trade my Scud for one.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:35 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

458 for the street, Scud for the track. But the Scud is very expensive to maintain if you are going to run it hard at the track (brakes, clutch). Definitely something special about a Ferrari though.

Hopefully the GT3 will excel at both street & track.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:37 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by green
It's all personal preference, of course. That's why I included my disclaimer, as such. For me, I didn't like the way the Scud shifts. It's just this "BAM" type shift. And the car I was in, every time it shifted hard, there was a rattle somewhere in the drivetrain that came with it. AND I was feeling some torque steer in it. None of these issues were present in the smooth and fast shifting 458, which certainly impacted my preference...
Old 01-18-2014, 09:15 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a fun car to drive and "LOVE" the Scud hands down. As a practical track and daily driver its all GT3.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:45 PM
tubescreamerules
Advanced

Originally Posted by green
i cant agree more. the only improvement the 458 has over the scud is the more direct/quick steering imo. the DCT in 458 makes the car boring, the "bang" u get when shifting in race mode feels so artificial and fake, sure its quicker than the scud and much more refined, but a 991TT does that way better.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:36 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

once you sit in a scuderia and hit the start button you know a 911 Porsche is not going offer a better experience….. it is pure sex.
But im too old for sex and the 911 suits me just fine.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:15 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For street driving only , scuderia will be more enjoyable. But for dual purpose gt3 is the way to go.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:06 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Gosh, I thought I was over my Ferrari temptation... Now you guys have me thinking. Trouble is, I already placed the order for the GT3. I guess the dealer could always unload it if I decided to go F-car instead... I've always dreamed of an F-car. Wonder if a one can get a lease on an '08 or '09 used car... I want the lease for the business deduction.

Quick Reply: 991 gt3 vs 430 Scuderia