Sponsored by:

Video of me riding in "someone's" new GT3 along hwy 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:10 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the vids, thanks.

I rode my motorcycle, aka crotch rocket, from NY to San Fran about twenty five years ago and stayed for a few months. I would hit this hypothetical road frequently late morning week days. Similar experience.

Looking for that app now.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:40 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 381 Posts

Hypothetically, if one were to drive said roads on a weekend between 7-830, they would find no traffic, cops or MAMIL's.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by redleg321
Edit: Just watched it again. Inifinite jealousy on my part! It doesn't even need to spin halfway to 9K to be fun!

How noticeable is the RWS? How about the electric power steering? Are the tiny vibrations/feedback there like in a pure hydraulic rack?

Thanks again for posting, guys.
redleg321, that's a great point. The car doesn't have to be wrung out to enjoy; even at very moderate and legal speeds the overall response from throttle, gearbox, wheel, and brakes, as well as the auditory feedback from the engine and exhaust combine to make you want to just keep driving and driving. Speaking of auditory feedback, the car makes some interesting noises. The PDK gearbox revs slightly and engages the clutch with sounds just like a skilled manual driver would make, although it's not as smooth disengaging when coming to a stop as I would be and is rather noisy doing it.

Steering feel is one of the things that surprised me most after all of the comments about EM steering ahead of time. The amplitude of the "twitching" isn't as great when you let go of the wheel as it is in the un-boosted or hydraulic assist cars but you can still see it. The thing is, when your hands are on the wheel, you don't need big wheel motions to detect those vibrations so you can still feel the road surface. The steering is not light by any means; it is noticeably firmer than my Cayenne, for example, and to my mind is perfectly weighted. They seem to have filtered out the noise but kept the meaningful information. This has been mentioned in other places, but RWS is simply not apparent in any driving I've done so far. In fact there is no artificiality in the chassis at all.

Sorry, I just meant to answer your questions and have blabbered on. It's hard not to be enthusiastic. We're out of town for the weekend and left the GT3 behind. I'm in minor withdrawal already.....
Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
So jealous of the beautiful roads you have in your neck of the woods. Perfect for a nice drive...

I wish we had roads like that
Old 01-18-2014, 02:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

We pay to live in NorCal.. Insane Taxes, insane real estate costs etc.. But in my life of traveling, I've never seen a place which offers such an incredible quality of life as the Bay Area.. The roads and scenery are but a fraction of it.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
We pay to live in NorCal.. Insane Taxes, insane real estate costs etc.. But in my life of traveling, I've never seen a place which offers such an incredible quality of life as the Bay Area.. The roads and scenery are but a fraction of it.
+1. It's great, and it's expensive. It's more great than expensive, at least for those who can afford it. So the extra money (a ton, actually) it costs to live here seems worth it.

But what keeps bugging me is that we are paying for things and people that have very little to do with it being great.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:07 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
love northern California. At least your property taxes are reasonable; compared to upstate NY, or any of NY.

Quick Reply: Video of me riding in "someone's" new GT3 along hwy 1