Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 01:08 PM
PointBy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at Porsche of Newport Beach maybe two weeks ago and the sales rep said it was still possible to put down a deposit and get a 991 GT3 at sticker.

I suppose things could have changed in two weeks.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:47 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
The last gt3RS was discounted $10k??? Hardly an accurate indication of new .2 RS sales. The economy was horrific, however, I believe discounts were not plentiful. There were exceptions, however, $10k off was not the norm.
while i can agree about the economic situation at the time, i am not expert on these things - i just have my own experience to refer to - i found "numerous" (more than 5) new rs models at below msrp - 10k and 15k off msrp was "mentioned" but it never went further than that with me, so i have no way to know what they sold for...given that they were on the dealers lot, the model year time clock was past january so the L word (leftover) can be used with a modicum of power - i still did not pounce on any of the offers...i was a "bag of excuses" at the time - as it turns out, i'm glad i passed on them, as the newer one has me salivating again - here i sit on a wait list.....
Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the feedback!

I called about a dozen dealers and got replies ranging from "you are out of luck" to "we'll take a $1K deposit, but not promises." Then I got a call back from my local dealer (and I would prefer to support a local business) saying they may be able to take an order in 2-3 weeks for an April build. I'll keep you posted.

Deven
Old 01-22-2014, 03:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

It seems to me that the whole limited allocation with big SOLD OUT signs, " out of luck " ,rare car,waiting lists etc is starting to " smell " like just another marketing gimmick of PAG geniuses to sell the car.
And then you have allocations popping out of " nowhere "... I guess if you're willing to wait you will have this car,even at MSRP.
PAG will probably produce as many as needed...

Just my 2 c...
Old 01-22-2014, 04:29 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neanicu
It seems to me that the whole limited allocation with big SOLD OUT signs, " out of luck " ,rare car,waiting lists etc is starting to " smell " like just another marketing gimmick of PAG geniuses to sell the car.
And then you have allocations popping out of " nowhere "... I guess if you're willing to wait you will have this car,even at MSRP.

Just my 2 c...
i feel exactly the same way, and referred to them "being made like cookies"...but without being able to order one myself, looks at the moment, to be a small bag of cookies (which another forum member indicated would be the case) - marketing at its best for sure...
Old 01-22-2014, 04:58 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

An article about GT3 scarcity & inflated pricing in the UK:

http://www.total911.com/news/porsche...sts-into-life/
Old 01-22-2014, 05:12 PM
ARSGT3
Instructor

If the dealership mounted a front plate on my car when delivered I don't think I could take the car. Hate front plates especially on this beauty
Old 01-22-2014, 05:14 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

classic supply/demand - porsche controls the output, with their fingers on a rheostat for production - is it not enough to realize, they have essentially "the same ice cream in 28 flavors" (ok, maybe not quite as simplistic as it sounds) but how long have they been assembling this platform of automobile, and they are not able to meet demand....."i think not".......but who am i to say.....
Old 01-22-2014, 05:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RD16RR
classic supply/demand - porsche controls the output, with their fingers on a rheostat for production - is it not enough to realize, they have essentially "the same ice cream in 28 flavors" (ok, maybe not quite as simplistic as it sounds) but how long have they been assembling this platform of automobile, and they are not able to meet demand....."i think not".......but who am i to say.....
You speak the truth...
They've already turned this car into a pussycat(from a tiger),if they didn't give the impression the car is produced in " limited numbers " , but instead selling like a regular Carrera,it would lose it's appeal.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

They've already turned this car into a pussycat(from a tiger)
Seriously? I don't think you should make a statement like that until you drive one - I have every expectation of it being a beast on the track!

And how many they make doesn’t affect how much I want the car. Sure, it will be better for resale if less are made, but that has nothing to do with why I want one!

Last edited by 997TTMeteor; 01-22-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:14 PM
ARSGT3
Instructor

I laugh when people say things like the 997 is better etc. Then just shut up and buy a used 997. More cars for us 991 guys to enjoy
Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Seriously? I don't think you should make a statement like that until you drive one - I have every expectation of it being a beast on the track! And how many they make doesn’t affect how much I want the car. Sure, it will be better for resale if less are made, but that has nothing to do with why I want one!
I am sure it is great at the track and will be fast.
But I hope you agree they've tamed it a bit,made it more user friendly,especially on the street. That's what Porsche is saying not me.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:33 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

I am sure it is great at the track and will be fast.
But I hope you agree they've tamed it a bit,made it more user friendly,especially on the street. That's what Porsche is saying not me.
Yes, I fully agree it sounds like it is more user-friendly for the street, and equally more capable on the track. As long as it’s epic on-track, I’m not going to complain about getting there in comfort.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:47 PM
frayed
Race Car

Just my 2 c...
Seems doubtful to me.

PAG is on record they would make a ton of GT3s. Whether they do or not remains to be seen.

The dealers are hanging sold-out signs. I've seen my dealer's list and there are more on the list than allocations.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:00 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by frayed
I've seen my dealer's list and there are more on the list than allocations.
I bet!
And if you don't mind giving it a guess...do you think that if those on the list without allocations will be patient enough,they will get a car in the end? Just a guess on your part? One can't be certain...
My guess is " Yes "

Quick Reply: Ordering advice