Sponsored by:

Piston Heads Walter Rohrl Interview

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts
Default Piston Heads Walter Rohrl Interview

Can't argue with the man. Nice to know he can still speak his mind.

Full text here: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=29197

You have, of course, been heavily involved in the development of the new 918 Spyder, as you were with the Carrera GT. Which is your personal favourite?
"If I have to choose for a future car, I would take the Carrera GT. The car is slower, and it is much more difficult to drive, but it's more how I expect the car to be.

"The 918 is something highly sophisticated; it's very fast, it's very easy to drive, but it doesn't give you the same feeling as the Carrera GT. Of course if somebody is asking me which to buy, I will always tell them: take the 918. With it, your life is easier, and your life is safer. But the sound of the 10-cylinder; this alone is something which is unique!"

And the next predictable Porsche question; PDK in the GT3 - thoughts?
[With a knowing smile] "Yes, during the press launch everybody was complaining and saying: 'Why?!' But I said, 'Be happy! Drive the car and you will see how much easier it is for you to go fast.' The shifting is something very impressive. I think most engine problems we have created because people were not able to watch the rev counter, watch the speed, and know when to shift. So they would shift back too early and the engine would be over-revving. With PDK, you avoid this. But for myself, if I want to buy a car, and I want to say I keep this car for the next 20 years, I would always take a manual gearbox, because I believe more, I trust more in a manual than in a double clutch. I've just ordered a Boxster Spyder with a manual shift - and I know that it's working, it's perfect, and it's up to me how I handle things. But PDK makes life easier for normal customers."

Given that, what's your pick of the GT3 lineage?
"It would have to be the first GT3 in 1999, the one in which I set first [Nurburgring] time under eight minutes, a 7:56. I think that car was like a 2.7 RS from 1973; a pure Porsche. Today it's easier to drive the new GT3. On the Nuerburgring, to go 7:35 is nothing any more. It's so easy to drive, it's so perfect; you don't even have to shift any more. You just put down the throttle and brake and everything is going automatically. Really the newest one is always the best one. But for myself, I always want that it is my talent to make the car fast, and in the old one you really need more talent than with the new one. But I still thinkthe 997, with 435hp, it is a fantastic car. In it, everyone can go fast."
Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

He just ordered a Boxster Spyder last week?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

The man spoke how he truly feels and he grew once more in my eyes!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

He must be getting ready to retire. Up until now, he has always toed the company line by pushing Tiptronic and, more recently, PDK.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

[QUOTE]And the next predictable Porsche question; PDK in the GT3 - thoughts?
[With a knowing smile] "Yes, during the press launch everybody was complaining and saying: 'Why?!' But I said, 'Be happy! Drive the car and you will see how much easier it is for you to go fast.' The shifting is something very impressive. I think most engine problems we have created because people were not able to watch the rev counter, watch the speed, and know when to shift. So they would shift back too early and the engine would be over-revving. With PDK, you avoid this. But for myself, if I want to buy a car, and I want to say I keep this car for the next 20 years, I would always take a manual gearbox, because I believe more, I trust more in a manual than in a double clutch. I've just ordered a Boxster Spyder with a manual shift - and I know that it's working, it's perfect, and it's up to me how I handle things. But PDK makes life easier for normal customers."/QUOTE]

hahahahaha

"be happy. Drive the car"

wasn't it "shut up and drive"
Old 01-13-2014, 08:50 PM
karlleonard
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys can u import 996 gt3 mk1s yet into America ..?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:52 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Can't argue with the man. Nice to know he can still speak his mind.

Full text here: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=29197

You have, of course, been heavily involved in the development of the new 918 Spyder, as you were with the Carrera GT. Which is your personal favourite?
"If I have to choose for a future car, I would take the Carrera GT. The car is slower, and it is much more difficult to drive, but it's more how I expect the car to be.

"The 918 is something highly sophisticated; it's very fast, it's very easy to drive, but it doesn't give you the same feeling as the Carrera GT. Of course if somebody is asking me which to buy, I will always tell them: take the 918. With it, your life is easier, and your life is safer. But the sound of the 10-cylinder; this alone is something which is unique!"

[With a knowing smile] "Yes, during the press launch everybody was complaining and saying: 'Why?!' But I said, 'Be happy! Drive the car and you will see how much easier it is for you to go fast.' The shifting is something very impressive. I think most engine problems we have created because people were not able to watch the rev counter, watch the speed, and know when to shift. So they would shift back too early and the engine would be over-revving. With PDK, you avoid this. But for myself, if I want to buy a car, and I want to say I keep this car for the next 20 years, I would always take a manual gearbox, because I believe more, I trust more in a manual than in a double clutch. I've just ordered a Boxster Spyder with a manual shift - and I know that it's working, it's perfect, and it's up to me how I handle things. But PDK makes life easier for normal customers."

"It would have to be the first GT3 in 1999, the one in which I set first [Nurburgring] time under eight minutes, a 7:56. I think that car was like a 2.7 RS from 1973; a pure Porsche. Today it's easier to drive the new GT3. On the Nuerburgring, to go 7:35 is nothing any more. It's so easy to drive, it's so perfect; you don't even have to shift any more. You just put down the throttle and brake and everything is going automatically. Really the newest one is always the best one. But for myself, I always want that it is my talent to make the car fast, and in the old one you really need more talent than with the new one. But I still thinkthe 997, with 435hp, it is a fantastic car. In it, everyone can go fast."
I tell you, he's got Ball$$ The one and only reason I haven't traded in my 0.2 but PDK will be lots of fun. Nice to have a manual around just so that you don't forget how to change gear. Its like not ridding your motorcycle for a long time. You get rusty
Old 01-13-2014, 08:57 PM
karlleonard
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He has hit the nail on the head .. Pdk great but too easy ..!

The values of mk1 996 will rise and 997 gt3s especially RS models

Manual cars for long term €€€
Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

"It would have to be the first GT3 in 1999, the one in which I set first [Nurburgring] time under eight minutes, a 7:56. I think that car was like a 2.7 RS from 1973; a pure Porsche. Today it's easier to drive the new GT3. On the Nuerburgring, to go 7:35 is nothing any more. It's so easy to drive, it's so perfect; you don't even have to shift any more. You just put down the throttle and brake and everything is going automatically. Really the newest one is always the best one. But for myself, I always want that it is my talent to make the car fast, and in the old one you really need more talent than with the new one. But I still thinkthe 997, with 435hp, it is a fantastic car. In it, everyone can go fast."[/I]
Quote of the year. Has always been my sentiment. Thanks Walter for keeping it REAL!!!!!!!

Also goes to show Porsche chose PDK for the ineptitude of drivers to get the performance out of the car, so they give them a helping hand.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
He must be getting ready to retire. Up until now, he has always toed the company line by pushing Tiptronic and, more recently, PDK.
i was thinking the same. His stock must have vested recently.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:51 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by karlleonard
Guys can u import 996 gt3 mk1s yet into America ..?
not sure about usa, but in canada we are good when they are 15 years or older to import.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:32 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Quote of the year. Has always been my sentiment. Thanks Walter for keeping it REAL!!!!!!!

Also goes to show Porsche chose PDK for the ineptitude of drivers to get the performance out of the car, so they give them a helping hand.
I agree.

Interestingly I found this comment "Together with perfect aerodynamics, huge run-off areas and the electronic aids, the good drivers are not different enough from the less good,"
This was posted in the Racing & Drivers Education Forum forum

Berger: F1 cars too easy to drive - Need more HP to distinguish drivers

A big part of the problem in Berger's eyes is the reduction in engine power over recent years: "My gut tells me that 650 or 750 horse power for an F1 car is not enough," he explained. "I think we could have engines with 1000 horse power again.

"Together with perfect aerodynamics, huge run-off areas and the electronic aids, the good drivers are not different enough from the less good," he added. "In my time, when you did a perfect qualifying lap you were a second faster than your teammate, because you were riding a cannon ball.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:36 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

" shut up and drive "

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:37 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

^^^Nevermind

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Awesome.. Hang on to your real 911's guys..
Maybe I forgo on the RS and pick up a base Cayman S with a 6 speed....

Quick Reply: Piston Heads Walter Rohrl Interview