Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced engine performance problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:00 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

BTW Sam,did the Turbo S ever go into limp mode?
I'm curious,but I suspect it didn't since you haven't reported such event...
Old 01-14-2014, 02:06 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by redleg321
I'm going to have some fun and speculate here.

The 997.2 RS had a compression ratio of 12.2:1 which is very high for a street motor that runs on pump gas by default.

As if this wasn't crazy enough, the 997.3 had it raised again to 12.6:1. Andreas Preunninger himself said, “We played with ratios as high as 13.0:1. However, we encountered some detonation at this level, so we settled on 12.6:1"

With the 991's DFI and a few other tricks, the compression ratio is 12.9:1 (!). Anyone who has a bit of engine building knowledge knows this is insanely high for pump gas.

Throw in the 9,000 RPM redline and a splash of cheap fuel and we got a recipe for disaster.

ECU's these days are very advanced and I'm sure the knock sensor(s) in the 9A1 has very high resolution but that just means she's going to go to limp mode really easily which I suppose is better than throwing a connecting rod out of the block!
12.9 is pretty high, but a regular 991S compression ratio is 12.5:1, not much lower. And what is a 997.3?
Old 01-14-2014, 04:04 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I can hear Porsche saying, "Did you read the manual? We warned against sustained high rev's during the break-in period."

My response would be go **** yourselves and fix the damn car!
They actually said they will replace under warranty, since it's an elctric problem that would not have been avoided by any means.

Originally Posted by neanicu
BTW Sam,did the Turbo S ever go into limp mode?
I'm curious,but I suspect it didn't since you haven't reported such event...
Nope.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:24 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
est8esq,

I ran with you on the track a couple of times, the car looks beautiful.
Not sure about your experience level, but I think you were certainly beating the living daylights out of the car in the solo group.

I never saw you off the track and I was parked in a the far away corner of the paddock.

Thank you so much for sharing; Your report makes me so angry with Porsche...What a way to destroy your weekend.

We laugh and take bets, make jokes when we see the Lambo's Ferrari's, GTR's, BMW M etc show up because we know they don't last and we're very confident in our old GT3's.
BTW, we ran easy 10 hours of track time in the RSA and other guys in their high mileage GT3' with nothing more than adding gas tires, gas and pads..

Now you confirm our fears with the first 991 GT3 I see on track and iyt was not even hot!
Please keep us posted.

Just another fast car that's not track proven and not track worthy until proven otherwise...
Peter-

Haha, I have to be honest. I brought a '13 GTR to Sebring Winterfest last year and got tired of the GT3's in my rear view mirror all the time. So, I bought a '14 GTR and had it built by Switzer Performance into a 1200hp track car thinking it was the answer, but the heat it generated was nuts and was towed off track, broken down on so many early trials that this event w/ my GT3 doesn't bother me that much. I at least got a full day running.

I spoke w/ Suncoast in Sarasota and they told me they had to get a hold of Porsche direct and tried sharing what they sent (had something to do w/ technical bulletins using acronyms I didn't get?). So, we're in a hurry up and wait period?

Will have to keep you all posted on status?

I decided while down at PBOC Winterfest that I'm going to attend the 48Hours at Sebring at the end of this month (next week) since my car is still down there already and hope to be able to get this back on the road by then.

Cleveland isn't a good place to track cars at this time of year.

Last edited by est8esq; 07-07-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear about the early issues for everyone, but its somewhat expected that there would be a few gremlins on this brand new platform
Old 01-15-2014, 12:06 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
I'm flying home from Sebring after Winterfest and had the same problem.

The first time it happened, it ended up being a faulty cam sensor. They replaced it and after driving back from Sarasota, it ran fine for one full day. Then, it went into limp mode again showing the same, reduced performance warning. So, we too it off the track and left it overnight. When I went to get it over to a local dealership to await the flatbed, I had similar issues w/ the lift when when it was still working. Then, only a few minutes into my drive, the engine temp went out. Then, the engine fans went crazy thinking the car was overheating?

I'm about to catch flight back home, so waiting to hear what status of my car is??

On a side note, this car on track is absolutely unbelievable… when it' running.
The only time I passed you last weekend was when you were heading in with issues.

Sounds like minor new car stuff. How many miles on the car?
The car is quick and looks like a lot of fun.
I wouldnt worry to much about it.

Your GTR is insane by the way!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
sorry to hear about the early issues for everyone, but its somewhat expected that there would be a few gremlins on this brand new platform
Whilst I agree that there will always be a few gremlins on a new car, it certainly hasnt affected everyone.

Estimates suggest around 6-700 991 GT3 have now been produced and delivered to customers, and I know myself or around 14-15 folk who have had their car out on the track. No to mention myself and at least half a dozen other who have now put 2500+ miles on the car. These cam sensor issues may only have occurred to a small number of those cars as I have not yet heard about such issues from the UK or Europe.

Remember 997.2 GT3/RS and 4.0RS owners have had their fair share of issues too with CLs, Manifold intakes, front lifters and at least half a dozen other minor and not so minor bulletins.

Assuming its a faulty cam sensor and a bad batch I cant see thus ruining anyone's fun. If its a global component problem then ok its a hassle for everyone but not a show stopper. lets wait and see before jumping to conclusions. Like I say myself and many other hard driven cars have not yet seen this issue....

Just my 2c worth.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:00 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Whilst I agree that there will always be a few gremlins on a new car, it certainly hasnt affected everyone.

Estimates suggest around 6-700 991 GT3 have now been produced and delivered to customers, and I know myself or around 14-15 folk who have had their car out on the track. No to mention myself and at least half a dozen other who have now put 2500+ miles on the car. These cam sensor issues may only have occurred to a small number of those cars as I have not yet heard about such issues from the UK or Europe.

Remember 997.2 GT3/RS and 4.0RS owners have had their fair share of issues too with CLs, Manifold intakes, front lifters and at least half a dozen other minor and not so minor bulletins.

Assuming its a faulty cam sensor and a bad batch I cant see thus ruining anyone's fun. If its a global component problem then ok its a hassle for everyone but not a show stopper. lets wait and see before jumping to conclusions. Like I say myself and many other hard driven cars have not yet seen this issue....

Just my 2c worth.
Agreed. Have new sensor in, heading to track Saturday. Will report back if any issues arise.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just my 2c worth.
Very true. I believe some (albeit few) .2s had cam actuator issues. Not mention coolant lines and RMS as well. Not discrediting the iconic .2 or any GT3 for that matter, just saying issues are present even a year into production. So, I wouldn't sweat any minor gremlins at this point either. Just my 1c.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Sam, thank you for testing this car hard and finding out the little bugs. I have little doubt Porsche will fix all of them and the 991 GT3 will turn out to be a great track car with no problems over the course of a hard track weekend. Any brand new car platform, especially one as advanced as the new GT3, is going to have minor teething issues at the beginning.

As 911Dev said, even developed platforms still have issues several model years into production. Every car has it's quirks, save for maybe a boring Lexus.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
I don't know, after all the test miles at the Ring and it being a GT3 going in limp mode on track? That's GTR and Lambo stuff right there.
That would make me feel just like I felt with my Diesel Dually Chevy going into limp mode as soon as I put a trailer on it.. Great truck just don't use it as advertised, at least the Chevy was cheap and I got what I paid for..
Was my first and last Chevy BTW.

Just my 2c worth.
Its minor until you travel 2000 miles and take a week of for a track event.
Little things braking down or going in limp mode on the way to Woolworth is fine to me, its warranty. Not finishing a track weekend and see me throw a hissy fit.

Everything that was an issue with the 997 was basically a part that differed from the CUP car; We were the lab rats, but at least for those parts only..

I did not finish only one weekend in 150+ track days due to the clutch failing after 14K miles.. Yes there were issues big and small and I am sure some surfaced on the first track day but at least it felt like me less like black magic issues like computers going into limp mode. Seems the older I get the more old fashioned I get.

Just 0.02c from an idiot who made the same biggest mistake of his year as that other idiot Chris Harris..
Old 01-15-2014, 07:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

I thought you're getting the Stingray...
Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know, after all the test miles at the Ring and it being a GT3 going in limp mode on track? That's GTR and Lambo stuff right there.
That would make me feel just like I felt with my Diesel Dually Chevy going into limp mode as soon as I put a trailer on it.. Great truck just don't use it as advertised, at least the Chevy was cheap and I got what I paid for..

Little things braking down or going in limp mode on the way to Woolworth is fine to me, its warranty. Not finishing a track weekend and see me throw a hissy fit.

Everything that was an issue with the 997 was basically a part that differed from the CUP car; We were the lab rats, but at least for those parts only..

I did not finish only one weekend in 150+ track days due to the clutch failing after 14K miles.. Yes there were issues big and small and I am sure some surfaced on the first track day but at least it felt like me less like black magic issues like computers going into limp mode. Seems the older I get the more old fashioned I get.

Just 0.02c from an idiot who made the same biggest mistake of his year as that other idiot Chris Harris..
Peter. I dont disagree with you. I have a 3500 mile trip including 600+ miles of track work planned for my GT3 within days of it hitting NZ soil and I too will be pissed if the cam sensor (or whatever) issue affects my enjoyment of that adventure. I will however ensure I or my dealer have 1-2 of these to give me for my journey if a bulletin has been issues by then (or even if it has not). I have driven the car hard on the road for 10-20 minute intervals many times but nothing like the revs and duress created in the track. If the car isnt ready in time the 993 goes on tour and that will be just as much fun.

The 997.2 Gen GT3 had its fair share of issues, especially when you consider this was a much tested platform. The 996.1 GT3 by comparison had relatively few issues given it was a brand new platform. The 991 GT3 is possibly a bigger platform shift than even the 996 GT3 was and also a shift in philosophy (integration of effectively all current model 991 electric performance systems such as PTV, dynamic mounts, electronic diff, ESC, TC, PSAM and with a few new ones such as RWS). Its a bloody big jump. If a few thermostats and cam sensors fail along the way I dont see that as endemic or surprising. If however this is the beginning of many small or small and large gremlins then I do see that as an issue.

However there will probably be 1000+ 991 GT3 circulating the world within the next 90 days in all climates being driven hard, on track and road (or cosseted under covers and waxed for cafe cruisers) and this real world test has already well got under way now. Within the next 90-180 days I think will be important for this car IMHO....

All this said, you could do worse than to put one of these in the garage next to the 964 race car mate. I think you already have an RS on order. They are so different like night and day as to be a hoot each for their own specific characters...
Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Well said. Couldn't agree more.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:33 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

The 997.2 Gen GT3 had its fair share of issues,
Can you elaborate? The only issues .2 GT3s have that I am familiar with are the CL issue and the coolant pipe issue.

Quick Reply: Reduced engine performance problem