Sponsored by:

Aftermarket wheel options for 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:47 PM
Zero911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime
That's just because the only pictures we're currently seeing are with the stock rims. As soon as someone posts some really nice aftermarkets, we'll all be going "oooooooooHHHHHH!"
You're probably right
Old 01-11-2014, 02:09 PM
jbigelow
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, when new wheel options hit the market....... New oooooo and ahhhhhhh from people.

Like I said, stock wheels are gorgeous, but there will be other performance wheels available and most future track junkies will downsize to 19" and have a better and cheaper tire selection.

Just add pix here of aftermarket wheels/rims and tire sizes used.

Just a resource for future wheel selection
Old 01-11-2014, 02:14 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for the stupid question, but why are smaller (19") wheels better for the track?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:32 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Handling characteristics, tire fitment availability, cost of consumables to fit those wheel sizes.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:53 PM
armbar
Instructor

Thank you for the answer. What handling characteristics change for the better?
Old 01-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Why would you want to put 19s on a car designed to work with 20s? We're entering a world of software wizardry where back-yard tinkering no longer has a place.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:51 PM
jbigelow
Pro

Originally Posted by Serge944
Why would you want to put 19s on a car designed to work with 20s? We're entering a world of software wizardry where back-yard tinkering no longer has a place.
Hi Serge,

Been awhile…. hope all is well.

You're too funny my man

But yeah, I also wonder why Porsche Motorsport uses 18" wheels on their 991 cup cars also

BTW - I think my friend in LA bought your ex-red beast!!!!!

Originally Posted by armbar
Sorry for the stupid question, but why are smaller (19") wheels better for the track?
OQ991 is correct on all accounts.

An old engineer friend wrote this on the why the utilization of smaller wheels:
The weight of the wheels, tires, brakes, etc is unsprung. It's connected directly to the ground without your springs and shocks acting as a mediator. Also, the wheels and tires are spinning and have a certain inertia to their spin, which is directly related to their weight/mass. The motor will have to work harder to overcome that inertia whenever you want to change your speed, and this will be easier to do with lighter wheels/tires. You want your wheels and tires to be as light as possible for the best performance, but need bigger wheels to clear the brakes, and wider wheels to put as much rubber to the ground as possible. Unless you're going for looks, the smallest possible diameter wheel that you can fit over the brakes, with the widest possible width to give you more traction would be ideal.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jbigelow
Hi Serge,

Been awhile…. hope all is well.

You're too funny my man

But yeah, I also wonder why Porsche Motorsport uses 18" wheels on their 991 cup cars also

BTW - I think my friend in LA bought your ex-red beast!!!!!

OQ991 is correct on all accounts.

An old engineer friend wrote this on the why the utilization of smaller wheels:
The weight of the wheels, tires, brakes, etc is unsprung. It's connected directly to the ground without your springs and shocks acting as a mediator. Also, the wheels and tires are spinning and have a certain inertia to their spin, which is directly related to their weight/mass. The motor will have to work harder to overcome that inertia whenever you want to change your speed, and this will be easier to do with lighter wheels/tires. You want your wheels and tires to be as light as possible for the best performance, but need bigger wheels to clear the brakes, and wider wheels to put as much rubber to the ground as possible. Unless you're going for looks, the smallest possible diameter wheel that you can fit over the brakes, with the widest possible width to give you more traction would be ideal.
Must be a different car - my old car went up north.

Of course it's nice to reduce moment of inertia, but it's not as simple nowadays... You have electronic systems such as the torque vectoring, rear wheel steering, etc which are designed to operate within tight parameters. Once you start changing offsets, wheel diameters (and associated change in tire sidewall response), you no longer have the right software.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:43 PM
armbar
Instructor

[QUOTE=jbigelow;11045500]

They may also be limited to certain wheel sizes in that formula.
The following users liked this post:
Einmalig (04-20-2020)
Old 01-12-2014, 03:54 PM
jbigelow
Pro

Armbar: This can go on and on and I just merely replied on why a lot of track guys from novice to professional, not speaking of Porsche specifically, use smaller diameter wheels.

I just merely added this thread to have a resource of wheel choices for this new 991 GT3.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:14 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by armbar
Thank you for the answer. What handling characteristics change for the better?
You'll experience every aspect in improvement with a smaller diameter wheel due to less rotating mass and decreased centrifugal force. Acceleration, braking and cornering are all improved. Usually you should select the smallest diameter wheel your brakes and other hardware will allow.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The 991 CUP has 18" wheels. My friend tried to do 18" wheels on this stock 991 GT3 but couldnt. He said you needed to change to CUP arm and knuckle. 19" you can do though..
Is this a realistic mod? Would the cup arm and knuckle change the geometry of the suspension or is the arm and knuckle shape just provide more clearance to the wheel barrel?

Ryan
Old 01-24-2014, 11:13 PM
venom79
Intermediate

hello, do any of you guys know if these will fit 991 gt3?

9x8.5 O.Z. Ultraleggera HLT CentLock
19x12 O.Z. Ultraleggera HLT CentLock
Old 01-24-2014, 11:43 PM
frayed
Race Car

Wheel diameters. . . WTH. Dunno why you guys are getting your thongs in a bunch. Rolling diameter is what matters. 991 GT3 wheels are forged and while I do like the OP's wheels, I think many of the aftermarket wheels will struggle with reducing weight from stock.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:21 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=armbar;11045696]

They may also be limited to certain wheel sizes in that formula.
Porsche Cup cars are one-make according to a homologation schedule done by Porsche Motorsport. Nobody is making Porsche do anything with their Cup cars - if they have 18's on them its because Porsche wants to have 18's on them.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheel options for 991 GT3