Sponsored by:

On track. My review and video.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I'm just annoyed by your chest beating and here to give you a dose of reality.

YOU HAVE 650 HORSEPOWER Most of the modded cars at the track don't even have that much HP. Mine doesn't and it has Turbo's on it. Yet you incessantly brag like it's some sort of accomplishment to be faster than cars with 150-200 less hp an half the torque. Bravo!

Your car is cheaper, and came equipped as such, cheaper build quality, less luxury, lesser dealer and service network just to name a few. Congratulations, you got a CHEAPER car. If MSRP was a gauge for performance, we would all be trying to buy Ferrari's. Porsche charges what people will pay, and people are barely willing to pay the initial MSRP on the ZR1 which means it's not even worth as much as GM wanted to charge for it. Meanwhile 2010-2012 Porsches going up in value.

When was the last time a Corvette increased in value after a year or so?
Um, the only chest beating is coming from you? You were the one that posted my friggin' lap time in this thread. I complimented Sam on his great driving and his obvious desire to get faster by working with Jason Hart who is an awesome driver. I also love his 991 GT3. It's a work of art and near engineering perfection.

You then tell him to beat my lap time, so I can stop bragging? If posting my lap time in an entirely separate thread from several months ago and then you bringing it up in this thread is my bragging, then I'm sorry. I don't what else to tell you. I'm sorry it came with 638hp from the factory and is a pretty quick car.

On the value standpoint, I bought what I wanted and that was a fun, fast track car that I could zing around town on the weekends. I also have a great local dealer and a great service manager. No problems at all with any warranty repairs which have been very few and far between in 3 years. I don't care that it's worth less than it was 3 years ago when I bought it. Most cars depreciate. I invest in other assets if I want to make money.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
We are definitely going to need some clarification on the "no slicks".

Are all R-Compound tires (Toyo R888, RA1, RR; Hoosier A6/R6) considered slicks?

When someone says slicks I think of real racing slicks from Continental, Goodyear or Michelin not Dot-Rs.

Anyone have any clarification?

Ryan
Ryan, you are correct IMHO. R-comps are not slicks.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:46 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
We are definitely going to need some clarification on the "no slicks".

Are all R-Compound tires (Toyo R888, RA1, RR; Hoosier A6/R6) considered slicks?

When someone says slicks I think of real racing slicks from Continental, Goodyear or Michelin not Dot-Rs.

Anyone have any clarification?

Ryan
I’m assuming since the car comes on R-Comps that we are good-to-go with all of the R-Comps you listed below (including Hooters) but the next step up is apparently off-limits. We need to know why, or someone needs to try them
Old 01-07-2014, 09:48 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
I’m assuming since the car comes on R-Comps that we are good-to-go with all of the R-Comps you listed below (including Hooters) but the next step up is apparently off-limits. We need to know why, or someone needs to try them
Most likely because of RWS.
Rumor has it that the RS won't have RWS due to homologation. Most likely slicks will be permitted on the RS. Makes sense.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:50 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Um, the only chest beating is coming from you? You were the one that posted my friggin' lap time in this thread. I complimented Sam on his great driving and his obvious desire to get faster by working with Jason Hart who is an awesome driver. I also love his 991 GT3. It's a work of art and near engineering perfection.

You then tell him to beat my lap time, so I can stop bragging? If posting my lap time in an entirely separate thread from several months ago and then you bringing it up in this thread is my bragging, then I'm sorry. I don't what else to tell you. I'm sorry it came with 638hp from the factory and is a pretty quick car.

On the value standpoint, I bought what I wanted and that was a fun, fast track car that I could zing around town on the weekends. I also have a great local dealer and a great service manager. No problems at all with any warranty repairs which have been very few and far between in 3 years. I don't care that it's worth less than it was 3 years ago when I bought it. Most cars depreciate. I invest in other assets if I want to make money.
You must have amnesia, you just posted the video AGAIN yesterday....

How many times have you boasted about Porsche not making cars to run with the ZR1, blah blah blah. It's all you talk about here....

I want him to beat you so you will shut up, if I were chest beating, I would be talking about my car vs yours, but that would be like comparing oh let's say a ZR1 to a GT3.....

You can put 650 hp and slicks on ANYTHING and win a DE, so there is no need to continue blabbering on about it.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Jason is an awesome coach, I'd love to come out Saturday, though I'm not sure I could squeeze in as I'm not a member and I think I need to be sponsored or something. I normally run out there with Driver's Edge, Apex, or NASA with Time Trial.

I'd at least call Daniel and talk to him. He's a very knowledge, nice guy and he could at least give you some ideas. I wonder if discontinued Continental slicks that aren't quite as grippy as new slicks count as "no slicks." That is a bummer Porsche has that in their manual. I wonder why?
Sent you a PM
Old 01-07-2014, 10:00 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nick
View the video and looks like a great track. Maybe you answered this question elsewhere but why were you using the gear shifter to shift instead of the paddles attached to the steering wheel?
I did but happy to answer again. I did that for the two warm up laps only, when I was revving to 7,000 RPM max (car had 300 miles). Once broken in (303.4 miles, give or take), I put it in auto and went all the way to 9,000 throughout the session. Putting in auto is, in my experience and from what I read elsewhere, faster. To me, it does not take away involvement because you go faster and hence do more (other things).
Old 01-07-2014, 11:10 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
You must have amnesia, you just posted the video AGAIN yesterday....

How many times have you boasted about Porsche not making cars to run with the ZR1, blah blah blah. It's all you talk about here....

I want him to beat you so you will shut up, if I were chest beating, I would be talking about my car vs yours, but that would be like comparing oh let's say a ZR1 to a GT3.....

You can put 650 hp and slicks on ANYTHING and win a DE, so there is no need to continue blabbering on about it.
+1000
Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

Wanna911/Quikag, let's not ruin Sam's thread please.

Sam, will you be there on Sunday? I may bring RS and 458 just to compare. Supposed to be warmer that day.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:34 AM
Maddogoz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam

I don't want to get off topic. However I have a white gt3 arriving down under in 3 weeks and have considered the xpel wrap for it

Do you notice a color change for areas covered vs not covered. And what was your compelling reason to put it on.

Cheers
Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Philippe Gretz
2nd Gear

Hi Sam, nice video, here is mine from last December. This is the Paul Ricard in France. Really happy with the car except too much understeer. I had the Michelin on the car but will take the Pirelli Trofeo R for the next track. Will do a better alinment, brake line and Pagid pads. The car had less than a 1000 miles work all fine. In case the white 997 TT is a Techart 650HP 850NM (a close friends). Keep us posted on fine tuning the car. Video is a bit long, sorry, start around 4mn.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Philippe Gretz
2nd Gear

Sorry here is the link
Old 01-08-2014, 11:10 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Sam, will you be there on Sunday? I may bring RS and 458 just to compare. Supposed to be warmer that day.
I'm planning to go on Sunday, so hopefully I will see you two out there!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:28 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by kyrocks

I wasn't planning on it but very tempting. If I have tread left, I will.

Originally Posted by Maddogoz
Sam

I don't want to get off topic. However I have a white gt3 arriving down under in 3 weeks and have considered the xpel wrap for it

Do you notice a color change for areas covered vs not covered. And what was your compelling reason to put it on.

Cheers
There is no color change yet but it was just put on and it takes years to yellow, just not sure how many. I had it on my black TTS and with deep colors there is no risk of noticeable change. I did not have it on C4S and since I tracked it a lot, there were way too many rock chips on the paint that I decided to put the Xpel on my subsequent cars. With a car as fast as the GT3, one is likely to chase cars with slicks and those throw a boatload of debris (rocks and tire beads/worms).

Originally Posted by Philippe Gretz
Sorry here is the link
http://youtu.be/pWhkXf6pXJg
This is so awesome, thanks for sharing. Love the seats

Originally Posted by ranger22
I'm planning to go on Sunday, so hopefully I will see you two out there!
My wife will hate both of you. Well, as long as I don't take the heat, it's cool. Will try.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I did but happy to answer again. I did that for the two warm up laps only, when I was revving to 7,000 RPM max (car had 300 miles). Once broken in (303.4 miles, give or take), I put it in auto and went all the way to 9,000 throughout the session. Putting in auto is, in my experience and from what I read elsewhere, faster. To me, it does not take away involvement because you go faster and hence do more (other things).
Thanks! Makes sense.

Quick Reply: On track. My review and video.