Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track. My review and video.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 05:10 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still seems like the TTS is significantly faster. May have been the first day in the GT3 and all, but the TTS was on plain street tires. On a track with that many turns, it's going to add a lot of time in braking and steady state turning.

A little surprising it was rubbing already with some negative camber added on stock wheels. Another pitfall of filling out the wheel well with wheel and tire.

Please run a tire (I guess not slicks?) that will get you to faster than a 1:19.6 so we can rub it in Quickags face.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:25 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Still seems like the TTS is significantly faster. May have been the first day in the GT3 and all, but the TTS was on plain street tires. On a track with that many turns, it's going to add a lot of time in braking and steady state turning.

A little surprising it was rubbing already with some negative camber added on stock wheels. Another pitfall of filling out the wheel well with wheel and tire.

Please run a tire (I guess not slicks?) that will get you to faster than a 1:19.6 so we can rub it in Quickags face.

No question in mind that if the TTS had same tires, it would have been faster and the GT3 wouldn't keep up. That said, the TTS is heavy and sounded terrible. In my experience, I prefer the GT3 many times over.
If you are talking about MSR 1.7 mile CCW time, it is possible I can get beat 1:19:6 becasue I already got 1:19:XX with the TTS
Old 01-07-2014, 05:27 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks Sam.Much appreciated. Very interesting. That's about $800 USD a set more than the Super Sports. I think Ill try the Super Sports and see how that goes. Not as good on the track but they will take up the road miles better.
I agree and they should do fine with stock alignment.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:16 PM
wanna911
Race Car

It was CW, but in a ZR1 on slicks.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:35 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

It was CW, but in a ZR1 on slicks.
Yeah, not gonna happen with the GT3.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:45 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Please also let us know your final settings and then how you get on with them...

[/QUOTE]

Car is ready. I had to buy 996 control arms and my mechanic extracted their bushings and installed them instead of the stock ones. That allowed him to pull back caster to stock (when he added neg camber, it pushed caster out by a lot). Please don't ask me how this worked because despite his attempts at explainning it to me over the phone, I didn't get it. This also allowed him to increase negative camber to -3.1 degress in the front (the back has been already increased to -2.1); he previously replaced stock shims with 16 mm ones. Whether this is good or not remains to be seen, Saturday. Stay tuned...
Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

That's not very nice, Wanna911. Remember that 1:19 was on discontinued Continental slicks. I got a few more seconds with my new Michelin slicks.

Sam, love the video and we definitely need to run an external mic back to the rear of the car to get better exhaust sound. I'd love to meet you out at MSR sometime. Who is your coach? I have it on my 2014 list to get a few private track days with Jason Hart.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Sam, I'd recommend a call to Daniel at Finspeed. He can make you a custom set of 18 inch wheels and then you should be able to buy cheap (but nice) discontinued Continentals off the Hoosier website for CHEAP. Like under $800/set. At least that is what my Vette sizes run.

Finspeed is making race wheels for at least one Rolex Porsche team. They make outstanding wheels at a very fair price.

You'll get your money back on the wheels after you run a few sets of cheaper tires.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quikag
That's not very nice, Wanna911. Remember that 1:19 was on discontinued Continental slicks. I got a few more seconds with my new Michelin slicks.

Sam, love the video and we definitely need to run an external mic back to the rear of the car to get better exhaust sound. I'd love to meet you out at MSR sometime. Who is your coach? I have it on my 2014 list to get a few private track days with Jason Hart.
I ordered the mic and with luck, will have it on this weekend. I am going to MSR this saturday, 3.1 mile. Would love to meet you as well, can you make it Saturday? Jason is my coach and he'll be with me Saturday so I am almost certain he will push me and I will have no tread left to go home

Sam, I'd recommend a call to Daniel at Finspeed. He can make you a custom set of 18 inch wheels and then you should be able to buy cheap (but nice) discontinued Continentals off the Hoosier website for CHEAP. Like under $800/set. At least that is what my Vette sizes run.

Finspeed is making race wheels for at least one Rolex Porsche team. They make outstanding wheels at a very fair price.

You'll get your money back on the wheels after you run a few sets of cheaper tires.
I will look into that but the new GT3 specifically says no slicks in the manual.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Jason is an awesome coach, I'd love to come out Saturday, though I'm not sure I could squeeze in as I'm not a member and I think I need to be sponsored or something. I normally run out there with Driver's Edge, Apex, or NASA with Time Trial.

I'd at least call Daniel and talk to him. He's a very knowledge, nice guy and he could at least give you some ideas. I wonder if discontinued Continental slicks that aren't quite as grippy as new slicks count as "no slicks." That is a bummer Porsche has that in their manual. I wonder why?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts

View the video and looks like a great track. Maybe you answered this question elsewhere but why were you using the gear shifter to shift instead of the paddles attached to the steering wheel?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 PM
wanna911
Race Car

It's still much faster tire than street tires or sport cups. Michelin slicks are the fastest things you can buy without being a pro racer.

Bubble deflated yet?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

It's still much faster tire than street tires or sport cups. Michelin slicks are the fastest things you can buy without being a pro racer.

Bubble deflated yet?
Are you drinking? You go from being fairly friendly and complimentary to trashing my car and my driving? Not sure if you're bored or bi-polar.

Yes, the Conti is a good tire and definitely more grippy than pretty much any street non-R tire. Based on my experience, it's a bit grippier than the Michelin Sport Cups I tried out on my C6. Not bad bang for the buck considering the cost and durability.

Not sure why my bubble would be inflated or deflated? I post facts on my lap times, so if you think they are good which gives me a theoretically big bubble and then Sam comes in and runs some very nice lap times in a state of the art 991 GT3 that are within 3-4 seconds of my lap time, now all of a sudden, my ZR1 is a slow POS? Okay...whatever.

Remember, my new ZR1 cost me $100k. What can you get from P-car new for $100k? Oh, you don't want to compare cost? You'd rather compare horsepower, tire compound, and tire size? Okay, that makes sense. I love the 991 GT3 and plan to cross-shop it with the C7 Z06 and/or ZR1 when I pick up my next dual track/weekend car.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Are you drinking? You go from being fairly friendly and complimentary to trashing my car and my driving? Not sure if you're bored or bi-polar.

Yes, the Conti is a good tire and definitely more grippy than pretty much any street non-R tire. Based on my experience, it's a bit grippier than the Michelin Sport Cups I tried out on my C6. Not bad bang for the buck considering the cost and durability.

Not sure why my bubble would be inflated or deflated? I post facts on my lap times, so if you think they are good which gives me a theoretically big bubble and then Sam comes in and runs some very nice lap times in a state of the art 991 GT3 that are within 3-4 seconds of my lap time, now all of a sudden, my ZR1 is a slow POS? Okay...whatever.

Remember, my new ZR1 cost me $100k. What can you get from P-car new for $100k? Oh, you don't want to compare cost? You'd rather compare horsepower, tire compound, and tire size? Okay, that makes sense.
Just as I said in the
I'm just annoyed by your chest beating and here to give you a dose of reality.

YOU HAVE 650 HORSEPOWER Most of the modded cars at the track don't even have that much HP. Mine doesn't and it has Turbo's on it. Yet you incessantly brag like it's some sort of accomplishment to be faster than cars with 150-200 less hp an half the torque. Bravo!

Your car is cheaper, and came equipped as such, cheaper build quality, less luxury, lesser dealer and service network just to name a few. Congratulations, you got a CHEAPER car. If MSRP was a gauge for performance, we would all be trying to buy Ferrari's. Porsche charges what people will pay, and people are barely willing to pay the initial MSRP on the ZR1 which means it's not even worth as much as GM wanted to charge for it. Meanwhile 2010-2012 Porsches going up in value.

When was the last time a Corvette increased in value after a year or so?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:38 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

We are definitely going to need some clarification on the "no slicks".

Are all R-Compound tires (Toyo R888, RA1, RR; Hoosier A6/R6) considered slicks?

When someone says slicks I think of real racing slicks from Continental, Goodyear or Michelin not Dot-Rs.

Anyone have any clarification?

Ryan

Quick Reply: On track. My review and video.