Sponsored by:

Alright. I'll admit it. I'm taking delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 02:52 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,000 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
960 looks great, except that if it comes with a turbo 6 instead of a flat 8 it'll be a bit less interesting to me. And it's already AWD.

There was talk of there eventually being a GT version that would be RWD. That would be cool
I would bet pretty significant money that it will NOT be a flat 6. My guess is a ttv8...that would also be a few other people's "guesses" as well...but one never knows do they... ... ...
Old 12-24-2013, 03:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's my thought. The GT3 is likely exactly what I need to fit the bill. However, if the RS is really a beast, I'll naturally want one (besides the fact that I've never had an RS).

However, there are several flies in the GT3 ointment that may dictate a different direction away from the GT3:

- PDK, never had one of these and while convinced I'll love it on track and perhaps under hard charging on back roads as Macca states, day to day PDK life might prove underwhelming. I just don't know to be frank. I think it'll take a few months of ownership to figure this out. Will the modified box in the RS take it up a level?

- 9k RPM. I'm sure its spine tingling but not usable on the street for the most part so I wonder whether it has that tq rise in the midrange that's satisfying under normal spirited driving. Not expecting a midrange bump in the RS but the next point is more important:

- a chassis so buttoned down that it may prove to be too drama free under normal street driving, or even spirited street driving.

I'm convinced on track it will be a blast, but realistically given demands on my time I'm probably limited to 6 track weekends a year unless I join one of the local clubs so I can do half days midweek and stuff.

So, if the GT3 is just too refined to be exciting on street, then I'd consider another car. The natural choice would be the RS depending on specs. I don't care about the widebody, and have always found the RS rear wings to be even more gaudy than the GT3's, it's about intensity of driving experience.

Because of the delays associated with PTS for the GT3, and b/c there is some risk that the GT3 is just 'too engineered' to hold long term, I felt guards was the way to go. I give keeping the GT3 long term 70% odds if I'm being realistic. But this is coming from someone who bought a new sports car every year for 7 years in a row (till I started fishing offshore). I no longer jump into a car thinking 'this is it, my last car!' I used to think that but history tells me otherwise.

I'm probably nuts but you only go around once.
Great email mate! Dont know how I missed it (actually i do, was too busy driving the new GT3 and posting video clips and feedback LOL!).

I am technically in same boat as you. My initial thoughts are the stock GT3 is plenty hard enough for the street (well the streets around here - which are like the streets of San Fran IMO). Any firmer and Im not sure Id use the car as often. My gut feel says the GT3 will be the better choice - the RS simply too "track only" for my lifestyle like the 997.2 GT3RS was. I have a mate with one of those and its surprisingly compromised for fast road work like Tarmac Rally. Hes done a couple of 2 day rallys in it and it bottoms out and ships around the road and he has to back way off or risk biffing it into the countryside. Ive driven with him and the 993 isnt so much slower on a fast stretch of road (but the 993 is also on R compounds and heavily modified from stock - probably its more like a 996.1 GT3). The new GT3 has great road complaince, I can tell you this for fact having pushed it repeatedly on bumpy back roads, its never bottomed out and has enough suppleness to have huge reserves of road grip. Nor does it jump about over broken pavement (although the tyres make a big thump). Maybe Im getting old and not as "hardcore" as I was in my 30s but this new 991 GT3 is set up just spot on for my lifestyle (and back!) in my 40s...
Old 01-27-2014, 03:22 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Frayed, what's the status on your GT3? It must be on the boat by now right?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:25 PM
sidicks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This morning I found out that my new GT3 arrived on UK soil this morning - a week or so earlier than expected. Shame I'm waiting until 1st March to collect it, so that it can be registered as a '14' car.

5 weeks to go...
Old 01-27-2014, 05:39 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sidicks
This morning I found out that my new GT3 arrived on UK soil this morning - a week or so earlier than expected. Shame I'm waiting until 1st March to collect it, so that it can be registered as a '14' car.

5 weeks to go...

You have more will power than I.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:18 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Frayed, what's the status on your GT3? It must be on the boat by now right?
Yep. On boat. Left Port of Emden late last week. So I'm what, 4-6 wks out? I think that's about right.

Shoot, now I gotta find some cash, quick!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Interesting speculation. I hope the RS shows up early enough to drive it this year. Season is over by late October up here. My 997.2 RS is strictly a track toy. Last season it enjoyed 40 odd track days. For just fun driving, my Box S does the job. Seriously if you want a car that's fun on public roads, get a Miata, you know the old sayiing "driving a slow car fast...."

Best,
Old 01-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Yep. On boat. Left Port of Emden late last week. So I'm what, 4-6 wks out? I think that's about right.

Shoot, now I gotta find some cash, quick!
Great!

My car left Emden on 12/6, arrived in San Diego on 1/3 and was in my garage on 1/13. So 28 days travel time, 10 days from port to me.

You should be able to take about 10 days off that since your car shouldn't have to go through the canal. Guessing a POE on the Gulf Coast, no? I bet you're a lot closer to 4 weeks than 6....
Old 01-27-2014, 07:18 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Great!

My car left Emden on 12/6, arrived in San Diego on 1/3 and was in my garage on 1/13. So 28 days travel time, 10 days from port to me.

You should be able to take about 10 days off that since your car shouldn't have to go through the canal. Guessing a POE on the Gulf Coast, no? I bet you're a lot closer to 4 weeks than 6....
Your reg GT3 looks so sick! This is the worst place I could have wandered to. I have a June GT3 allocation. Car ll spec'd out. However, I ended up buying a TT then took it back to the dealer after 6 days to get a TTS ordered. I LOVED the TT just wanted the S because it is the top of the heap. Have not canceled my GT3 slot. What shall I do?...-lol!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Since I plan to keep my 2009 C2S as a DD anyhow, I seriously considered changing my existing GT3 order to an RS order. Then I would have used the RS as a special event car and for the track. I would not have had to worry about how civilized it was or was not.

I am attracted to the even greater rarity of the RS, and it's more wild look. I also suspect that it will hold it's value better going forward. However my dealer does not have enough allocations to get me an RS and tells me it will be $200k or more.

I think the law of diminishing returns may set in favoring the GT3, but without knowing the pricing or any performance details on the RS I can't say for sure. I'd be very tempted to change my order if a firm allocation came up and it was under $200k out the door and optioned the way I want it, but I don't expect this to happen!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:11 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Great!

My car left Emden on 1/18 on the Camellia Ace which shows as arriving at the Port of Houston by 2/07.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:29 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How do you find out the ship name carrying your car?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
How do you find out the ship name carrying your car?
My salesman was able to find out from Porsche's system once it was assigned to a vessel, and then he shared that with me. Once you know the name of the vessel, you can track its progress via Marinetraffic.com or similar sites.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdList
Your reg GT3 looks so sick! This is the worst place I could have wandered to. I have a June GT3 allocation. Car ll spec'd out. However, I ended up buying a TT then took it back to the dealer after 6 days to get a TTS ordered. I LOVED the TT just wanted the S because it is the top of the heap. Have not canceled my GT3 slot. What shall I do?...-lol!
I saw your TT in inventory at Hennessy. Beautiful car with a few hundred miles on it :-) I have an April Delivery GT3 at Hennessy.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
My salesman was able to find out from Porsche's system once it was assigned to a vessel, and then he shared that with me. Once you know the name of the vessel, you can track its progress via Marinetraffic.com or similar sites.
Thx JFR

Quick Reply: Alright. I'll admit it. I'm taking delivery