Sponsored by:

Drove the 991 GT3 today....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 07:19 PM
maxbhp
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Drove the 991 GT3 today....

for about a mile and a half and don't think I went faster than 30 mph.

I've been visiting the in laws for the last couple weeks here in London and decided to stop by Porsche of West London yesterday. It was my lucky day because a very generous owner of a new 991 Gt3 had stopped by to say hi to his salesman and pick up something. We got to chatting after he saw me ogling his car. I was there in an Aston Martin Rapide (uncle is on the AM board of directors so he has a few co. cars just lying about). The Gt3 owner asked if he could sit in a check out the Aston which I had no problem with at all. Then to my surprise he offered me a drive in his car that of course I couldn't pass up.

I've only had my .1RS for a few months and before I left home had only put on approx 700 miles and I drove the 991 only for a very brief stint in typical London traffic so obviously I can't compare the two. What I can say is it looks amazing in blue and mainly the lack of a manual made me think I could have been in any old 991 variant. Again, I only drove it for a short distance at very low speeds but I can attest that even at low speeds in a manual RS their is still a level of engagement the PDK's can't replicate.

I'm going to the Aston factory on Thursday for a tour and then Prodrive and lunch with Dave Richards after that. If anyone has anything they want to ask Mr. Richards or any interest in an Aston let me know.

Not sure how to post vids but if you click it it should open.

Last edited by maxbhp; 12-10-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Forgot to add my little crappy phone video
Old 12-10-2013, 08:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 358 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by maxbhp
...but I can attest that even at low speeds in a manual RS their is still a level of engagement the PDK's can't replicate.

Shhhhh....keep it a secret! Don't let the 991GT3 forum hear you....
Old 12-10-2013, 08:11 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Awesome trip. Have fun.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:11 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

manuals have this 'power on a leash' thing happening..
especially with a lwfw.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:44 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have driven PDK cars before. They are awesome when you are WOT and having fun. Problem is when you are not going WOT, you put the car to auto even if you are a hardcore row your gear kinda guy. You will put it into auto. When you do- you mentally stop engaging with the car.

1 car depends on you on engagement 100% of the time. No auto pilot mode. The other depends on your engagement whenever you want to. It's a mental obstacle. That said the 991 GT3 looks brilliant.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

Speaking of Astons, I just worked an Aston Martin event for their dealers at PBIR driving their new 12 cyl Vantage S on track. I was VERY impressed with the new gearbox, which traditionally had been a weakness for them. It's a single clutch paddle shift set-up that self adapts to changes in temperature and conditions. The computer controlled clutch operation was very sporting and allowed you to bounce of the rev limiter instead of upshifting for you. In braking zones you could also hold the downshift paddle and when released, it will choose the correct gear and skip gears if necessary. (neither I nor my students tried it though, doing it yourself is still more engaging and fun)

Surprising neutral on track as well, not the under steer I was expecting. The best Aston yet, IMO.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:02 PM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job picking with your wife selection..!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:18 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
I have driven PDK cars before. They are awesome when you are WOT and having fun. Problem is when you are not going WOT, you put the car to auto even if you are a hardcore row your gear kinda guy. You will put it into auto. When you do- you mentally stop engaging with the car.

1 car depends on you on engagement 100% of the time. No auto pilot mode. The other depends on your engagement whenever you want to. It's a mental obstacle. That said the 991 GT3 looks brilliant.
I disagree actually. My last sequential car was an E46 M3 and I loved it so much that I never once used the automatic setting. Shifting gears with paddles was too much fun. I know that PDK feels much better but personally I wouldn't care, the reason I always shift is because of the involvement.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
I disagree actually. My last sequential car was an E46 M3 and I loved it so much that I never once used the automatic setting. Shifting gears with paddles was too much fun. I know that PDK feels much better but personally I wouldn't care, the reason I always shift is because of the involvement.
Couldn't agree more, I had an M6 I drove 100% with the paddles as well. Best DD street car I've owned. But I will say, the M6 does not reach the involvement "required" of my RS (obviously two different animals).
Old 12-10-2013, 11:02 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
Different for everyone.
The only bad part its Porsche does not offer PDK and manual option for gt3.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:12 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think M5 and M6 (perhaps older M3 as well) might be a different case, I had an M5 and only drove it in manual because the auto mode was **** for brains. I now have a C63 507 Edition and the MCT in that thing is so smart and always places the car in the right gear like it is reading my mind that I have given up on the manual mode. I am talking about the car downshifting automatically when I flick the turn signal, it anticipates a lane change and downshifts for you so you can pass others without even thinking about it. with M5, I only did that when I feel like there an ******* who might close the gap if I indicate.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:29 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Very cool. We got into our 7.1 RSs at the same time and have put about the same amount of seat time in. One of the benefits of owning the RS is that I can probably take a 991 GT3 out when they have one at my local dealer. My friend with a 996 GT2 let me borrow it a few summers ago so I could go to the dealer and drive a pumpkin...I was hooked after that!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:35 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

Had the first SMG E46 M3 in Des Moines a few years ago- had to pretend I was JPM... loved the car but grew tired of the trannie in a few months. My wife drove the car most of the time and just left it in auto mode which she put up with with no complaints. Sold it to get a true manual back...

Shipped my .2 GT3 to AZ for the winter and have been enjoying the roads down there when away from the snow in Iowa- seems like every other car in north Scottsdale is a 911 or Panamera, but I have yet to meet another GT3 of any vintage on the street- hell I've seen more McLarens. Kind of surprised... maybe I'm a purist, but it's disappointing to see almost all high performance sports cars are now "autos"... still miss seeing a Ferrari with a gated 6 speed. Thank God you can get a R8 with one!! Hope Audi keeps selling them with a stick as someday I'd like to get one.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:00 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm going to the Aston factory on Thursday for a tour and then Prodrive and lunch with Dave Richards after that. If anyone has anything they want to ask Mr. Richards or any interest in an Aston let me know.
Wow - fantastic trip. I would be interested in hearing David's view on the pending changes to the ACO/FIA technical regulations for 2015/2016. Is he in favor of the initiative? How will the changes affect the AM product if any?

Hope you are able to post some of your conversation - David Richards seems like a very interesting guy.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:48 AM
maxbhp
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Wow - fantastic trip. I would be interested in hearing David's view on the pending changes to the ACO/FIA technical regulations for 2015/2016. Is he in favor of the initiative? How will the changes affect the AM product if any?

Hope you are able to post some of your conversation - David Richards seems like a very interesting guy.
Great. And thanks for the idea to bring up with him, def will ask. I actually had the pleasure of meeting him maybe 3 yrs ago but only for a brief few minutes - was a very charismatic and engaging guy.

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver

I totally agree with this. Every semi-auto I've ever driven I've ended up just leaving in auto mode. Occasionally I'll grab the left paddle to drop a gear to overtake but then it's back into auto. I think people don't take into account how important using two feet to drive a car is to the engagement level. I'm far from a neuroscientist but I bet that the physical involvement of having to use your left foot might stimulate a part of your brain that goes to sleep for lack of a better term when the left leg is dormant. I wonder if their has ever been a study regarding this. I know when I'm driving an auto my right hand gets bored...I end up twirling my hair or stroking my beard out of some weird habit that I do when I'm bored.

Quick Reply: Drove the 991 GT3 today....