Sponsored by:

Updates on my build

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 12:13 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I ordered full leather and red stitching in mine. I don't get having the key painted.
For when you have multiple cars.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Jaypod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Can't you use a different keychain? Thats what I do - even when I had 3 cars with the exact key fob, never had an issue confusing them.

Mind you I don't walk around with 3 key fobs in my pocket all the time either - just the car I am driving
Old 11-22-2013, 01:11 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

I have 5 how many do you have to have before that makes sense?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:26 PM
frayed
Race Car

With the GT3 that = 6 for me. But 6 isn't law. I think even 2 would qualify.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:36 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Yep. Got all $0 options including phone prep, except the smooth leather steering wheel. Forgot what phone prep does but I remember it was something functional?

Dangit. Just fixed it. Yeah, I got full leather, my next favorite option after my only must have: lift.

That's a really good point. Didn't realize that the 997 buckets were red stitched. Were they all red stitched or could you get the option? Man, now I regret not getting stitching.

Frayel, The 991 TT-S at the dealer had the LED light and beside the circular ring around the light I could not tell the different and I stood there for a long time. The service guy sweared that at night alot brighter than STD light but for $3K I think I like the std lights
Old 11-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Yep. Got all $0 options including phone prep, except the smooth leather steering wheel. Forgot what phone prep does but I remember it was something functional?
From the info I received and posted in the mobile phone prep thread if you don't have option 619 your phone won't work properly with PCM even though it has Bluetooth. Since it's $0 cost I figured there was no risk in getting it and plenty of risk if I didn't.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...u-need-it.html

Dangit. Just fixed it. Yeah, I got full leather, my next favorite option after my only must have: lift.
Cool!

That's a really good point. Didn't realize that the 997 buckets were red stitched. Were they all red stitched or could you get the option? Man, now I regret not getting stitching.
Since getting the sport buckets when they are available is a definite possibility for me too, I had the same thought (among others) as you for not getting red stitching. Whether the sport buckets on the 997 came with red stitching or not, on the 991 the new ones will almost certainly come with silver stitching standard and red as special order, just like the other 991 seats. Buying on the aftermarket it might be hard if not impossible to get the optional stitching and if you can for sure the seats will cost even more. Part of my logic for not getting red stitching, flawed or not.....
Old 11-22-2013, 03:10 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

Since getting the sport buckets when they are available is a definite possibility for me too, I had the same thought (among others) as you for not getting red stitching. Whether the sport buckets on the 997 came with red stitching or not, on the 991 the new ones will almost certainly come with silver stitching standard and red as special order, just like the other 991 seats. Buying on the aftermarket it might be hard if not impossible to get the optional stitching and if you can for sure the seats will cost even more. Part of my logic for not getting red stitching, flawed or not.....

Same here. I ditched the red stitching last-minute partly because I figure silver stitched buckets will be easier to find than red-stitched (regardless if I choose 997 or 991 buckets).
Old 11-22-2013, 03:14 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Painted key is a must I got one too!
Old 11-22-2013, 04:52 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I have 5 how many do you have to have before that makes sense?
I have two absolutely identical fobs now and I had to use duct tape to mark one. I do not use key chains - do not like the bling or space they occupy
Old 11-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I have two absolutely identical fobs now and I had to use duct tape to mark one. I do not use key chains - do not like the bling or space they occupy
I will have the same situation with a Cayenne and now GT3 key. Comically, while spending $9200 on PCCB's, I couldn't bring myself to spend $335 on a painted key. Go figure. Anyway, I don't like key chains either; I hate having them dangle and swing from the ignition. Probably should have gotten the painted key, gonna have to come up with an alternate creative solution. More 1st world problems...how to distinguish between your Porsche keys....
Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 PM
frayed
Race Car

So much discussion about a painted key. Ha!

While absolutely stupendously expensive for a bit 'o paint, I just thought it fun little bauble. That is all.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You guys earn far too much money and I hope you've voted on my "net wealth % poll" thread LOL!

In New Zealand the dealer charges a weeks pay for the coloured key fob. Needless to say Ive gone the cheap option and bought me a black lego stick for my 993 (Midnight blue) and a white lego stig for my GT3 (white). Check out my $10 solution to your first world key differentiation problems LOL!

P.S. My other Customised options include covering those rear reflectors in the back bumper with a one what white film and getting a hairdryer and some nylon fish line and immediately removing the "Porsche" decal from the rear either leaving the "GT3" logo intact or most likely ordering a replacement form FDMotorsport for $50 and centering it higher....I think this looks much better (see below photoshop)....

White lends itself to plenty of customization options with stripes and wheel/mirror colour changes. Heres a few crazy options form another thread. I suspect when I get bored I wull paint the wheels a dusky metallic bronze and get a vinyl script cut for the side - or maybe red wheels with martini stripes off centre over the op of teh car?
Attached Images       
Old 11-22-2013, 07:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

White car.. White rear lights.

Red car.. Red rear lights.. And black fronts.

Gold/bronze wheels... Good always :-)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:24 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I will have the same situation with a Cayenne and now GT3 key. Comically, while spending $9200 on PCCB's, I couldn't bring myself to spend $335 on a painted key. Go figure. Anyway, I don't like key chains either; I hate having them dangle and swing from the ignition. Probably should have gotten the painted key, gonna have to come up with an alternate creative solution. More 1st world problems...how to distinguish between your Porsche keys....
Look at the key. My Cayenne shows the rear hatch on the key. If you want painted keys get them, but I still don't see it.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Same here. I ditched the red stitching last-minute partly because I figure silver stitched buckets will be easier to find than red-stitched (regardless if I choose 997 or 991 buckets).
Red stitching looks cool, but hard to justify 5 grand for it. (unless you were getting full leather anyway). I don't really care if the dash is leather or not, just the seats and steering wheel.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-22-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: my bad

Quick Reply: Updates on my build