Sponsored by:

GT3 STRICTLY FOR NORMAL ROAD & HIGHWAY USE ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 04:31 AM
Dlff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 STRICTLY FOR NORMAL ROAD & HIGHWAY USE ONLY

HI guys, I have just joined this forum as I'm in the market for either the 991 Turbo S & GT3. I do not track the car & it will also not be my DD car. More of a week end car & occasionally take it out for a spin. Weather condition here is either dry or wet - Equatorial climate. I have to consider the tires fitted to the GT3 as there are racing tires & is not so good in the wet.
I have seen the Turbo S in metal but not the GT3. Any which way you look at it. The GT3 is miles better looking than the Turbo S. My heart says go for the GT3 & my head says Turbo S. As I see it the biggest advantage of the Turbo S over the GT3 is the colossal torque it has, AWD - more traction & more comfort creature. Service is free on the Turbo S for 4 years but not on the GT3 as I guess is a track car. On the other hand the GT3 is a street racer in its own right, 9,000rpm motor, PDK-S with proper gear lever upshift & downshift mode, less complicated, cheaper by about US$60K in my country & looks the part. Centre Lock on both cars is a real pain & I have told been that I have to send it back to a Porsche's workshop to change tires or in the event of a puncture. Std Turbo is not available in my country only the Turbo S. I can opt for the std Turbo wheels which does not have CL on the S but is half an inch narrower on both front & back. Tires size are the same. With such a fat *** & fitted with half an inch narrower wheels. IMHO the car does look kind of weird. Looking forward to all your comments out there & cheers mate! Have a nice day!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:04 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

The gt3 does look nice. The turbo is a beast and I mean ugly. If you get the gt3 just switch out the rubber for a tire that has a better wear rating.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Dlff
Advanced

I'm wondering what road tires would be appropriate for the GT3. What about those from Turbo S as they share the same tire specs? Thank you.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:39 AM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Of the bunch I would suggest MPSS: Great combination of wet and dry traction and tread wear.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=60158&tab=All
Old 11-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Dude-
Pro

Im bias on this so GT3.

If you can get your hands on a GT3 ....GET IT!!!!!

If you don't like it? There are tons of TT's waiting for you.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 PM
frayed
Race Car

What jumper said. Get the GT3 and when your tires are up for renewal, get some better street tires. Or I'll cover shipping of your stock tires upon delivery of your car and find a way to use them.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

A GT3 is the more exciting car, no matter where you use it. If its a car reserved for that weekend spirited drive - GT3 without thinking twice.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlff
My heart says go for the GT3 & my head says Turbo S.
There's your answer right there. If you're buying a family hauler go with your head. But for a sports car and weekend toy, the heart wants what the heart wants. If you can find one, go GT3.....
Old 11-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Dlff
Advanced

Hi there, thanks for all your comments out there. Actually I'm leaning more towards to the GT3. What puts me off is the tremendous price difference & the looks. According to some reviews the Turbo S is a much easier car to drive in the hands of a non expert. The Turbo S in metal looks much better than in pix but still no where near the GT3. When the Turbo S was launched here last week. I did ask the Sales Consultant if I can spec street tires when ordering & his replied was "NO." I thought I have read somewhere that you can request. Does anyone know about this.
Also is "Lift axle" a must have option? We do have a lot of speed bumps around. The GT3 is slightly more than an inch lowered than a run on the mill 911s. With Lift axle you can increase the height by about an inch & you can't drive more than 30mph with the axle lifted. Downside is extra weight on the car & I don't think the electronic lift axle is a light piece of item. Another downside of the GT3 as a street car is low clearance. Cheers mate!
Old 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 371 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlff
According to some reviews the Turbo S is a much easier car to drive in the hands of a non expert.

Also is "Lift axle" a must have option? We do have a lot of speed bumps around. The GT3 is slightly more than an inch lowered than a run on the mill 911s. With Lift axle you can increase the height by about an inch & you can't drive more than 30mph with the axle lifted. Downside is extra weight on the car & I don't think the electronic lift axle is a light piece of item. Another downside of the GT3 as a street car is low clearance. Cheers mate!

Maaan....you don't want a sports car because it's easier to drive... Not that the Turbo S isn't fun... Only the GT3 is more fun.

Axle lift-a must in this car. Doesn't add much weight... Then again,who doesn't need a little more weight on the front axle when driven at limit with the rear engine swinging like a pendulum?!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:00 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Both great cars. I think the new GT3 has much more potential for a DD with the longer wheelbase and PDK. I tested a 997.2 RS and was blown away of how great it was, in retrospect the shifts came up pretty quick. I've never owned a Pcar so don't have any attachment to Stick and will be fine with PDK. I Amature road race bmw 1000 mc and welcome the Hydraulic shift assist feature while literally struggling to hang on at full acceleration , so I'm sure I'll luv the 100ms, 9000 pdk. We were going to try a Turbo, but when they started it, the exhaust note sounded too tame and I passed. I saw the new turbo at a dealer and it looked pretty calm. Hope to see the GT3 live at the LA auto show next to the turbo.. Hopefully it look much more aggressive and Not Too Skinny next to the TT.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:18 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude-
Im bias on this so GT3.

If you can get your hands on a GT3 ....GET IT!!!!!

If you don't like it? There are tons of TT's waiting for you.
dude - is that pic (avatar) in SF?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:37 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
dude - is that pic (avatar) in SF?
http://www.autogespot.com/porsche-99...013/07/18#img5
Old 11-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Dude-
Pro